temperature out

Experiencing technical problems? Look here for help!

Re: temperature out

Unread postby eric » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:08 am

mashy wrote:I am thinking something needs calibrating ? Can that be done on the settings in a BM?

i dont know if there is calibrating option for older controller unit. also reading this forum i have understand not to mess around with the settings too much :)
eric

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby eric » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:13 pm

This is to demonstrate how differently three Braumeisters measure temperature. Im OK with Braumeister #2 and #3, but #1 (with a new sensor) is totally off.

https://goo.gl/photos/Nb37wLZz98bwy1Ls5
eric

Unread postby Omphteliba » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:10 am

mashy wrote:I am thinking something needs calibrating ? Can that be done on the settings in a BM?

Starting from firmware 1.1.25-180517 there is a setting for temperatur-adjustment. At least the official changelog says so.

BraumeisterSoftwareUpdater2-1.1.25-180517
19.06.2017 | 5.7 MiB
Beta-Version - Updater for Windows from 7 and OS X from 10.11.4
Changed to 23b: Fahrenheit and C, 6 hoppings instead of 3, names for recipes, mandatory recipe sync with MySpeidel.com, improved wifi communication.
Changed to 24c: Boiling options full heating or controling, additional improvements for wifi communication, new updater software with port scanning.
Changed to 24d: Option for changing time during mashing, note for removing lid shortly before boiling, possibility to justify temperature probe, now heating during pump pause.

https://www.speidels-braumeister.de/en/ ... loads.html
"Brew! There is never enough beer in the world."
- Burghard Meyer on Beersmith Podcast #66
Omphteliba

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby eric » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:08 pm

This update probably wont happen for me, because i have old controller?

I did get a new sensor now (this one came free). Now this sensor shows way too much now. I did a 90 minute boil, controller showed 102 C but there was no boil. 20 minutes had gone and still no boil. Because it showed 102 C the heater started to turn off and on :) I did try to measure it manually from the top (not very accurate) and it showed 96-97 C. I really miss my old, first sensor or opporunity to calibrate this one with the old controller.

Omphteliba wrote:

Starting from firmware 1.1.25-180517 there is a setting for temperatur-adjustment. At least the official changelog says so.

BraumeisterSoftwareUpdater2-1.1.25-180517
19.06.2017 | 5.7 MiB
Beta-Version - Updater for Windows from 7 and OS X from 10.11.4
Changed to 23b: Fahrenheit and C, 6 hoppings instead of 3, names for recipes, mandatory recipe sync with MySpeidel.com, improved wifi communication.
Changed to 24c: Boiling options full heating or controling, additional improvements for wifi communication, new updater software with port scanning.
Changed to 24d: Option for changing time during mashing, note for removing lid shortly before boiling, possibility to justify temperature probe, now heating during pump pause.

https://www.speidels-braumeister.de/en/ ... loads.html
eric

Unread postby coalminer » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:02 pm

Same problem here. I have an older 20L model (2013) and after 3 years the probe consistently climbed to 102C, switched off element, dropped to 99C switched on again, over and over.
I was getting no boil at all.
Contacted Speidel and was told "buy a new sensor" - big help
Installed new sensor and found that the new sensor consistently read 2C lower than actual temperature measurements (with 2 calibrated thermometers and a Thermopen, which all read the same)This was reading at the probe with low water level
This was not a real problem as it was a consistent error up to about 95C so I just set all mash temps 2C higher to compensate.
Strangely when it read 100C it was reading 100C so with the BM set to 102C a good boil was achieved
6 months later and the sensor started to read 101C, still no real problem
The last 2 brews I did sensor started to jump to 102C, old problem back again. Readings at near sea level
Not interested in constantly forking out $70 odd until I get one to read properly and am seriously considering doing my boil in a separate gas fired pot.
One by-product of this will be it will save me at least 2 hours each brew as I can then mash and boil at the same time
end of rant
coalminer

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby johnrm » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:02 pm

Here's the inside of a 2014 BM20.
Notice three Pots on the right. A word with speidel or a multi meter should tell you which is which.Image
johnrm

Unread postby mashy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:23 am

That would make sense.
Are you suggesting that adjusting this is the way to calibrate?
mashy

Unread postby eric » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:50 am

Does anyone have a update on this? I have third sensor now and the problem is still there.

It shoots about 2C degrees off. That means it reaches 102C and theres no good rolling boil.

boil1.jpg
eric

Unread postby eric » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:22 pm

Why didnt im come to this earlier :) My solution for the boil problem is this:

boil4.jpg

after the mash is complete i unattach the sensor from the controller and attach the second sensor (speidel has sent me two sensors, both not working correctly) and just leave it there. now it tells the control box the room temperature and my boil is GOOD again :)
eric

Unread postby Tipsy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:26 pm

You shouldn't have to do that though....It should work
Tipsy

Unread postby mashy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:53 pm

I don't think you need a rolling boil, you need the temperature surely?
mashy

Unread postby eric » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:54 am

mashy wrote:I don't think you need a rolling boil, you need the temperature surely?

The purpose of the boil is to drive off DMS and other compounds that you don't want showing up in the final product. I dont think you get that if theres no rolling boil. For boiling hops its not neccessary to have rolling boil. Also For reaching your target size that you have calculated ... it is

https://byo.com/article/boiling-advanced-brewing/
eric

Unread postby eric » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:56 am

Tipsy wrote:You shouldn't have to do that though....It should work

yeah, especially if you have 50L machine with the price tag over 2000 EUR :)
eric

Unread postby mashy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:13 am

eric wrote:
The purpose of the boil is to drive off DMS and other compounds that you don't want showing up in the final product. I dont think you get that if theres no rolling boil. For boiling hops its not neccessary to have rolling boil.

Also For reaching your target size that you have calculated ... it is

In my BM I get a "rolling" boil. Just not 100% of the time, because the SSR in cutting in & out to reduce the power of the element. For electricity you have to have a binary control. Gas has a valve and is fully proportional.
I honestly believe there is enough activity in the boil enough of the time to drive off DMS. I also think this extraction helps.

Final volume calculation is a choice. I chose not to.
The problems with drinking water quality probably ain't as prolific as it was in the 17th century :D
mashy

Unread postby eric » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:27 am

johnrm wrote:Here's the inside of a 2014 BM20.
Notice three Pots on the right. A word with speidel or a multi meter should tell you which is which.Image

Speidels commentary:

you can adjust the controller to read it 2C less, but this is not so easy to explain.
But I think you can work with it.

The calibration is performed on the two potentiometers on the PCB inside the controller.
At one of these two pots the zero point is set, at the other the slope.
Zero point means that at 0 ° C the sensor is actually displayed at 0 ° C, slope means that at e.g. 100 ° C can also be displayed at 100 ° C.
The prerequisite for this setting is that the temperature at the sensor is also known exactly. Only then can the two potentiometers also be set correctly. The zero point must first be set to 0 ° C, then the maximum value to 100 ° C.
I use a simulator for this purpose, which is a switchable resistor that has exactly the value that the sensor must have at 0 ° C or at 100 ° C as the setpoint.

bm.jpg
Last edited by eric on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eric

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support