temperature sensor problem

Experiencing technical problems? Look here for help!

temperature sensor problem

Unread postby :' » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:48 am

Hi all

I wanted to repost this problem from my home forum, maybe you guys will have some more insight into the issue...

While running the machine manually I found that the heating element worked for a little while until the display read that the water was at 102C (it was barely above 25C) and both the heat and pump switched themselves off. I unplugged the machine, plugged it back in and tried again - same results, worked for a minute or two then freaked out. Someone suggested removing the heat sensor and cleaning around it, which I have done and after a short test, fingers crossed, it seems to be ok.

I'll give her a run this afternoon to see if she'll keep it together for me.

So the possible cause....

while cleaning her up yesterday with some PBW I had 10L of water (in 20L model) enough to cover the element but foolishly put the malt pipe in to the bottom. The pump drew water into the centre and in the process exposed the top of the heating element to air :oops: . I quickly put more water in and continued cleaning using both the pump and heating on manual control. It seemed to work just fine until this morning. Maybe this has put something out of whack....

What do you reckon? Is this why the sensor went weird? I don't believe the sensor got exposed to air while it was running. I can't imagine that that should be a problem anyway. Anyone else have an issue like this? Any fixes?

Thanks meisters
Declan
:'

Model: 20 litres

Re: temperature sensor problem

Unread postby niels » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:36 am

Hi Declan,

This problem has been reported before on another forum (I think HBT) and it was due to a defective temperature sensor.

If you contact your reseller or Speidel they will send you a replacement.

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby :' » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:57 am

Hi Niels
Thanks for the reply. I found that post you mentioned http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/speidel-braumeister-brewmaster-229225/index214.html#post5356080
It does sound like a similar issue although mine was during manual mode. I'm most of the way through my brew now and (touch wood) it seems to be going smoothly for now at least...

Let's call it resolved until next time eh?

Cheers :beer:
:'

Unread postby BrauTim » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:26 pm

This has just happened to me. I finished the mash and went for the boil but the heating stopped as it reached 80°C and the reading was 102°C, I switched the unit off and went into manual mode a few times to try and clear it but basically it stops working at 80°C.

Luckily I had planned a split brewday and the machine was able to hold temp overnight at 78°C, I fetched my old gas burner and boiler and transferred the wort into that to finish the brewday today.

I contacted Vigo the UK distributor who contacted Speidel and they are sending me a new temp sensor FOC for a DIY replacement, can't fault the service.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby Lylo » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:15 pm

I had problems with this today as well. I chilled down to 19c the drained and pitched. when I put my Johnson control probe into the wort it read 14C!! WTF?
I cleaned the BM as usual then heated some water to 40C,50C and68c. BM was reading 44C 55C and 71C. This was backwards from what I was expecting and will try it will cool 20C tomorrow.
I have put a lot of faith in this sensor since checking it closely for the first few brews. Now I am a little concerned.
I tried to remove the sensor, but will have to call in help to hold the inside nut while turning the bottom one.

Later: Hmm the temps are right on when in programmed mode! The problem is in the manual mode, how can that be?
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Unread postby Nesto » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:27 am

Lylo wrote:I had problems with this today as well. I chilled down to 19c the drained and pitched. when I put my Johnson control probe into the wort it read 14C!! WTF?
I cleaned the BM as usual then heated some water to 40C,50C and68c. BM was reading 44C 55C and 71C. This was backwards from what I was expecting and will try it will cool 20C tomorrow.
I have put a lot of faith in this sensor since checking it closely for the first few brews. Now I am a little concerned.
I tried to remove the sensor, but will have to call in help to hold the inside nut while turning the bottom one.

Later: Hmm the temps are right on when in programmed mode! The problem is in the manual mode, how can that be?

Did you have the pump running when you tested in program mode? That would be my guess: in manual mode the pump isn't running unless you switch it on, so there is a temp gradient from the bottom (where sensor and heating coil are) to the top of the liquid (I'm guessing you measured temp near the surface?). Cooling might be the same (not as sure about this one): again, pump not running; assuming you use an immersion chiller, bottom of vessel will get least cooling potential from chiller and maybe residual heat from heating coil, again leading to a temp gradient.

Unread postby Lylo » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:06 pm

The pump was running in all scenarios. When I tested it I was only using about 2 gallons of water so there should not have been any real gradient. It seems to be right on in programmed mode and I will keep that in mind when chilling in manual with the pump. I will start using a thermometer to track the chilling progress.
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Unread postby Nesto » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:40 am

Lylo wrote:The pump was running in all scenarios. When I tested it I was only using about 2 gallons of water so there should not have been any real gradient. It seems to be right on in programmed mode and I will keep that in mind when chilling in manual with the pump. I will start using a thermometer to track the chilling progress.

Oh well, so much for my ideas :)

Unread postby andrewkeycell » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:33 pm

hi all!

today had the same issue, during the 1-st pause the temperature was 62 degrees, and after i came back in 25 minutes it was like 102! And it stuck at 102 like forever,... i replaced my wort into a barrel, cleaned the pot, turned it on, and once again - 102, even with cold water!

ofc i tried to do it in a manual: pump is'nt working, no heating, temperature still 102((
when starting a new program pump ventilation starts, and heating over, cuz it's damn 102(

give me an advice, what should i do to manage with it?

regards, Andrew :drink:
andrewkeycell

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:04 pm

Welcome to the forum andrewkeycell

I would be checking the wire connectors on the bottom of the unit making sure that they are absolutely dry and secure as an open circuit or a short circuit with temp sensors can cause these problems.
If this is not the case then maybe a call to Speidel will be in order.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby andrewkeycell » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:20 pm

Hi, thanks,
The thing is, when I put off the temperature sensor, and all the sensors, its still 102 degrees :(

I've already wrote bout my problem to Speidel, waiting for an answer :-)
andrewkeycell

Unread postby fy0d0r » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:19 pm

102С issue is most probably caused by the short circuit between the signal wire from the sensor and the ground wire, or no power to the sensor (or failed sensor of course)

Easiest way to diagnose would be to unscrew the sensor and try to connect it to working BM (you'll need a fellow BM owner for that)

If this is not an option - try to get hold of 1-wire sensor (DS1820) and connect it to your BM (will need some soldering skills), central wire on the sensor socket is ground, power one is with +5v on working BM controller.
fy0d0r

Unread postby niels » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:22 pm

fy0d0r wrote:If this is not an option - try to get hold of 1-wire sensor (DS1820) and connect it to your BM (will need some soldering skills), central wire on the sensor socket is ground, power one is with +5v on working BM controller.

So the temp sensor is a DS18B20 or a DS18S20? Good to know it is a digital sensor that is readily available.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby fy0d0r » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:47 am

This is my educated guess (based on 3-wire connection and +5v power)

I believe, it is more likely to be DS1820/DS18S20 as it is used in about 95% of appliances now (DS18B20 is less popular, and more expensive, but gives more accuracy)
fy0d0r

Unread postby fy0d0r » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:28 pm

andrewkeycell wrote:I've already wrote bout my problem to Speidel, waiting for an answer :-)

Have you heard anything back from Speidel ?

Apparently DS18B20 is not the sensor that they're using as I was not successful in trying to connect a new sensor to BM.
fy0d0r

Next

Return to Technical Support