Circulation

Experiencing technical problems? Look here for help!

Circulation

Unread postby Lgkex » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:15 am

Does anyone know how many times during the mash the pump circulates wort? Is it once per step? Recently, I'm having issues with cloudy wort. Usually I don't watch the mash but the last time I did. Re circulation only happened once during the mash and that was after I stirred. I had 12.5 lbs in the pipe, no wheat. I did have a fine grind. Curious if anyone has had an issue with circulation. I filled water to just below the top mark.
Lgkex

Model: 20 litres

Re: Circulation

Unread postby niels » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:05 am

The pump normally runs the whole time during mashing and continuously circulates the wort (except for a pump break every now and then). It looks like your pump isn't able to push the water/wort through the grain.

• Did you check if you had full conversion after the mash steps?
  • Did you remove the pump and clean it? Make sure the small holes in the impeller are clear.

If you keep having problems I think it is best to contact your reseller or Speidel about replacing the pump.

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Lylo » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:39 pm

Sometimes also the flow over the edge of the pipe is very hard to makeout. If it is a quiet unbroken flow with a very full BM you may not think anything is happening.
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Unread postby niels » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:41 pm

Lylo wrote:Sometimes also the flow over the edge of the pipe is very hard to makeout. If it is a quiet unbroken flow with a very full BM you may not think anything is happening.

Shouldn't you hear the wort "falling"? I know you must try to minimize it as it will aerate the wort, but I'm not able to eliminate the clattering.

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Lylo » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:48 pm

I find that if I push my water volume quite high (over 27l) the wort is only falling about 1/4 inch and is silent,
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Unread postby Lgkex » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:40 am

Couple of things I learned. According to More Beer where I bought the unit, pump has 1yr warranty . I have the original Itt E 1vario 3-9w pump. Their price for upgrade is $300 US. I contacted Speidel to see what they say. I've seen pumps on EBay for half the price. I know nothing about pumps so I am uncomfortable ordering from EBay.

I can see that the pump has a special connector that fits to the computer. Does anyone know if that is hard wired to the pump? If I order a replacement pump will it come with the connector attached. My problem is I have an electric system and I don't understand electricity.
Lgkex

Unread postby cpa4ny » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:05 am

Check out this link:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/braume ... er-317778/

Changing the pumps looks fairly straight-forward.

New one seems to have > 2.5x the power.

Unread postby Lgkex » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:08 am

Speidel contacted me. They are replacing the pump for free! I've heard from others that they stand behind there equipment. Now I have experienced their commitment first hand. Gotta love that company.

Turns out, the pump I had ITT E1vario with production date (PD) of 08/12 had a known issue.
Lgkex

Unread postby niels » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:10 am

Lgkex wrote:Speidel contacted me. They are replacing the pump for free! I've heard from others that they stand behind there equipment. Now I have experienced their commitment first hand. Gotta love that company.

Turns out, the pump I had ITT E1vario with production date (PD) of 08/12 had a known issue.

Good to hear! I'm happy for you that Speidel does it warranty policy very seriously.

Could you make some photos of the (defected) pump so we can add this to the upcoming wiki?

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Lgkex » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:19 am

Picture of the pump is attached. Just looking at the pump you can't tell anything is wrong.
Attachments
image.jpg
Lgkex

Return to Technical Support