Controller Screen Condensation

Experiencing technical problems? Look here for help!

Re: Controller Screen Condensation

Unread postby mashy » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:30 am

...I poured out about a teaspoon of water...

Hows does a unit so small condense that much. This has to be a design fault somewhere/somehow.
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Doingatun » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:50 am

mashy wrote:
...I poured out about a teaspoon of water...

Hows does a unit so small condense that much. This has to be a design fault somewhere/somehow.

I had been in contact with Ralf at Speidel repeatedly over the two year warranty period, I've been overly patient and helpful, now well out of warranty, his attitude was, we have an issue we can't solve, to now it's "normal physics" nothing wrong, no longer interested. Moisture and electronics don’t work well together, so I too await failure.

The many issues I've had with my 2015 20L BM most eventually resolved apart from the constant significant screen misting has gradually made me loose interest in brewing, I haven't brewed for nearly 12 months, with my old 3 vessel system I brewed every month, quicker and easier, enjoyed every brew day.

In my opinion the 2015 new controllers are not fit for purpose, should have been recalled, issue fixed or redesigned and replaced early on in 2015, or offered a full refund, it has to be the most money I've ever wasted, really regret buying mine.....Would love to sell it, who would want to buy it with this issue, would have to be honest.....by the way the screen mists up it's OK it's normal "normal physics" and will eventually fail, nothing wrong.
Doingatun

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby grooves » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:13 pm

There is definitely a problem - the whole machine was inoperable for 24h - it could be the lighting strip or gaps sides of screen as mentioned earlier in this thread. I need to have a closer look.

The problem is my water is so hard, even if it evaporates it will leave salts behind that will eventually short the circuits when dry.

For now I'll grease the o-ring in the controller and throw in a packet of silica gel. Other gaps will probably end up with some silicone sealant splattered over them.

oh - and more condensation appeared on the screen during last night's brew...
grooves

Unread postby mashy » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:04 pm

Its makes my blood boil and I haven't got one . Its just bad service. That said, that attitude I have seen before with German companies.

I have to confess, controller failure will see me fitting an ALVA controller.
mashy

Unread postby Aleman » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:25 pm

mashy wrote:Its makes my blood boil and I haven't got one . Its just bad service. That said, that attitude I have seen before with German companies..

I do have one, and when I have time, I ill be dismantling sealing 'everything' with silicone sealant including a bag of silica gel assembling once everything is warm in a warm environment (our airing cupboard) and that should see the end of the issue. I think it's just to open to the atmosphere in too many places.

Like mashy i've seen the attitude too many times from German companies ... Generally Mercedes, BMW (Cars AND Bikes) and VAG, to the extent that I will never consider buying what is marketed as a premium brand vehicle from them ever! ... From a large multinational corporate it's not acceptable, but from a smaller company it should never happen

Having said that if it has Miele on it it's worth the premium, but that is a family company that really knows the meaning of the word customer service!
Aleman

Unread postby nibber » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:37 pm

The small 10 Litre model I acquired recently did this last weekend when I used it for the first time.
Always stored in my computer room and only taken into the kitchen which was the same ambient temperature.
Something the newer model owners have to put up with unfortunately :evil: :twisted:
You can just make it out in the bottom left hand side of the attached photo.
My 20 Litre model did it for the first time the weekend before.

20180908_115949_resized_1.jpg
nibber

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby chastuck » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:36 pm

Don't seal it and use silica gel. It won't work. Tried it and failed. What you need is more outside air running past the internal screen to equalise inside and outside temperatures. You need to dismantle it, use stand offs to raise the screen from the front housing and drill holes in the casing behind the front to increase air flow.
chastuck

Unread postby aziztan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:02 am

Don't bother with the grommet Speidel send you. After drilling a hole in mine to install, it still doesn't work.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
aziztan

Unread postby mashy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:39 am

I do wonder if legal action against Speidel would fix it! The unit is clearly not fit for purpose.

What about we try to get them some "publicity" - anyone fancy doing a youtube of the condensation?

If these were cars there would be a recall !!
mashy

Unread postby nibber » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:46 am

chastuck wrote:Don't seal it and use silica gel. It won't work. Tried it and failed. What you need is more outside air running past the internal screen to equalise inside and outside temperatures. You need to dismantle it, use stand offs to raise the screen from the front housing and drill holes in the casing behind the front to increase air flow.
:beerbang:
Yup-this 10 Litre one I bought had that mod done but does still suffer from condensation issues!
nibber

Unread postby nibber » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:46 am

Certainly a very annoying issue !
:twisted:
nibber

Unread postby Doingatun » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:44 pm

I don't think the annoying screen misting issue is fixable with such a poorly designed controller housing, all to accommodate unnecessary Wifi, pretty lights, bells and whistles.....All I wanted and expected was a BM that brewed without issue, instead of the "Chocolate Tea Pot" I ended up with, certainly not fit for purpose :evil:.
I wonder is Speidel still using these not fit for purpose controllers ignoring their don't worry "Normal Physics" issue? :shock:

I've 25kg sack of barley untouched, load of hops for a year now and 8 empty corny kegs , sadly, gradually lost interest due to my BM issues, just can't be bothered to brew :(
Doingatun

Unread postby grooves » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:48 pm

The controller box need to be fitted with something like this -

https://uk.farnell.com/hylec/jdae12pa70 ... dp/2308395
grooves

Unread postby f00b4r » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:01 pm

Mine has never had condensation, despite being used in very varied conditions, so there definitely either seems to be a quality control issue or a variable that Speidel should be looking to control.
If I had had condensation I would have asked for a replacement or rejected it as not fit for purpose, taking it to the small claims court if necessary, they would not have wanted to contest, let alone lose that case for the precedent it would set.
f00b4r

Unread postby f00b4r » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:02 pm

Mine has never had condensation, despite being used in very varied conditions, so there definitely either seems to be a quality control issue or a variable that Speidel should be looking to control.
If I had had condensation I would have asked for a replacement or rejected it as not fit for purpose, taking it to the small claims court if necessary, they would not have wanted to contest, let alone lose that case for the precedent it would set.
f00b4r

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support