Wort escaping under the pipe

Experiencing technical problems? Look here for help!

Re: Wort escaping under the pipe

Unread postby Okire » Mon May 05, 2014 7:04 pm

Don't know if they want my stuff back, I presume not, time will tell :)
Try my two commercially available beers, Sheriffen and Alkemisten (Sweden only sadly)
Okire

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby brewerben » Tue May 06, 2014 7:03 pm

Speidels have sorted me out too and have agreed to exchange the unit and again cant fault the customer service. I cant wait to get a brew on, i have the ingredients for a low gravity bitter and then a wheat beer.
brewerben

Unread postby Cervantes » Wed May 07, 2014 12:19 am

Great results guys,

And great to hear that Speidel's reputation for customer service is well deserved.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Okire » Fri May 16, 2014 7:48 pm

The package arrived and three hours of fiddling payed of with fully functional BM50. Quite a difference in the amount of force needed to make a tight seal. I am so happy for the great support from Speidel!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
Try my two commercially available beers, Sheriffen and Alkemisten (Sweden only sadly)
Okire

Unread postby niels » Sat May 17, 2014 6:10 am

Cool! And you can alter the damaged body as a fermentation vessel.

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby paulg » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:54 am

I have completed 2 brews since receiving my bm 50 litre and have had difficulty sealing the malt pipe.I had to tighten it so much it started to squash the retaining bar where it goes through the tie bar.
After reading this post I checked my pot and found the I also have a small dent in the base of the pot where the rear foot returns towards the centre of the pot .the box it came in shown no sign of damage except a torn handle.
I have e mailed my supplier in England and await there answer.I telephoned them first and they said to try to photograph the dent but that is difficult because it is mostly under the heating element.
brewer Ben who was you supplier, are you in the uk?
paulg

Unread postby kahobro » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:58 am

I had the same problem with my speidel.
It didn't circulate even with only water. Another speideluser that lives nearby came to have a look end we couldn't get it to work. The speidel has been replaced, probably the bottom was slightly bent.

I still have the first malt pipe so the problem was not the pipe.

I reported on it in the duth homebrewforum

Hans
kahobro

Unread postby paulg » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:03 pm

my problem has been passed on to speidel by my uk supplier ,so we will see what happens.
paulg

Unread postby royco » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:52 am

I looked through the thread first to try and avoid asking a dumb question, but here goes anyway………………..how do you tell that wort is escaping under the malt pipe? If I want to check with water do I simply bolt down the pipe and fill water inside, or outside the pipe to see if any leaks through, or do I need to check against back pressure with the pumps running?
Royco
royco

Unread postby paulg » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:24 am

I my case I first saw the problem as ripples on the surface of the wort outside the malt pipe during mashing ,I then tilted the BM forward so that the pumped wort fell only from the front of the malt pipe but the ripples continued.
I later did just as you suggested and fill inside the malt pipe with water having blocked the pump pipes with corks.
After 24 hours no water had leaked outside the pipe and the water level was still full inside.
I dont know if this is a valid test or not as the wort is not pressurised by the pump.
That is why I wonder about overfilling the malt pipe with grain.I now realise the first brew used a total of 6.4 kilos and the second one 5.6 ,now if speidel state the limit of the large malt pipe is 11 kilos and the short pipe is 25 litres then logically this would be 1/2 ie 5.5 kilo so in both cases I have pushed the limit.
I have asked this question in an e-mail to my supplier
paulg

Unread postby paulg » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:04 pm

today I had a reply from my supplier ,it was a copy of an e-mail from Ralf at speidel.They have asked me to check with the malt pipe fitted minus the seal.As you can see from the attached picture I put a torch inside the malt pipe and even with the bow tightened down there was light escaping from about the rear of the front leg attachment round the back to near the other front leg .I am thinking that the dent near the rear leg is lifting the malt pipe slightly.
I will await the reply from speidel as they suggested they would change the tank in there e-mail to my supplier

Photo0187.jpg
torch inside malt pipe held down with the bow
paulg

Unread postby paulg » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:52 pm

after another e-mail from Ralf and checking the gap with both a credit card and a cocktail stick (the cocktail stick is 2.9 mm diameter) ralf states that 3mm is too much of a gap and is going to send a replacement tank.
ONCE AGAIN IT APPEARS SPEIDEL STAND BY THEIR PRODUCTS -WELL DONE
paulg

Unread postby Cervantes » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:48 am

paulg wrote:ONCE AGAIN IT APPEARS SPEIDEL STAND BY THEIR PRODUCTS -WELL DONE

Always good to hear. And publishing the fact here repays Speidel so everyone wins.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby paulg » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:54 pm

yes I feel it should be shouted loud and clear as many businesses are not so forthcoming after they have got your hard earned cash
paulg

Unread postby royco » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:31 am

That kind of service is refreshing to hear about in this era. However, it seems strange that such a pro company, (especially German!) misses out this very simple QC step. :?
royco

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support