Wort escaping under the pipe

Experiencing technical problems? Look here for help!

Wort escaping under the pipe

Unread postby Okire » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:56 pm

A couple of times I have experienced that wort is escaping from under the malt tube, the way to solve it has been using a spanner to tighten the wing nut harder but I am afraid that the fittings are not made to support this. Have any of you had the problem?
Try my two commercially available beers, Sheriffen and Alkemisten (Sweden only sadly)
Okire

Model: 50 litres

RE: Wort escaping under the pipe

Unread postby Twonky » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:02 pm

Hi Okire,

I too had this once while stirring the mash... I think I rotated the malt pipe a bit, and the rubber sealing ring on the bottom slipped some because it probably was not pushed on hard enough, so after tightening the malt pipe down, with no result, no circulation what so ever. I resorted to manually circulating the mash through the tap into a pitcher and up in the top..... for the last 25min of the mash.
The resulting beer was okay, the sealing ring was not damaged, so from now on I double check the ring is properly in place before inserting the malt pipe.

Good luck on your next brew!
Cheers
:cheers:
Twonky

Unread postby Nesto » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:59 pm

Another thing to look for is if there are any dents along the bottom edge of the malt pipe.

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby dinnerstick » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:02 pm

in all my use of, discussion about, and forum browsing on the topic of the braumeister, i've never heard of this problem! you shouldn't have to tighten the nut that hard, finger tight should be sufficient. if it recurs perhaps email speidel directly from their website, they are remarkably helpful!
dinnerstick

Unread postby cpa4ny » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:21 pm

Had my BM for almost 3 years and never had that issue either.

As long as you don't forget to put both screens in place (below and above the malt) - I think everything should be just fine :beer:

Re: Wort escaping under the pipe

Unread postby brewerben » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:41 am

Hi Okire, did you find out the cause of this problem? I'm a new Braumeister 50L owner and on my first brew i only just manages to get it sealed up enough to get some flow through the malt pipe (the short one). Afterwards i did a fair bit of testing with just water and could not get either the short or long malt pipe to seal properly. I'd appreciate any advice just to make sure its not user error before i contact speidel.
brewerben

Unread postby Cervantes » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:25 pm

Could it be too much grist or too dense a grist, not letting the water pass up through and forcing it out under the pipe?

Have you put both fine mesh filters at the bottom of the malt pipe? Is this restricting the flow?

Other than a damaged seal or dented malt pipe or BM bottom I can't think why this would happen.

I have the 20 litre and only tighten the wing nut finger tight and so far haven't had a problem.

Sorry if the above is stating the obvious, but I know that I'm very capable of making some very basic mistakes at times.

Cheers
Andy
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby brewerben » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:03 pm

Hi the problem occurs even with just water and the pipe in and no grain or screens. On the large pipe the water escapes before the pumps even manage to fill it with water.
Ive just got it out again and checked the malt pipe's and seals which all looks ok. Unfortunately when i fitted the malt pipe and had a feel round the edge of the seal there is a gap between the malt pipe and bottom of the braumiester where the back leg is. The gap is easily big enough to fit a credit card in and is the same for both malt pipes so looks like the bottom is deformed slightly (pic attached).
Attachments
Braumiester bottom.JPG
brewerben

Unread postby Cervantes » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:11 pm

That's bad news.

It looks as though you have found your problem though.

Did arrive that way from new?

I'd be taking it back to the dealer or contacting Speidel directly. They have a very good reputation for customer support.

Cheers
Andy
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby brewerben » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:03 am

I've only had it a week and didn't notice the issue until i did my first brew. It all arrives with the box intact so i didn't think to check it all over before i used it, i just cleaned it and got brewing on Saturday. I've contacted the distributer that supplied it and will see what they say. I'm not too worried because as you say Speidel have a great reputation.I just hope it doesn't take too long to sort out as i need to get my summer beer stocks up.
brewerben

Unread postby Cervantes » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:07 pm

Please let us know what sort of response you get from the dealer and from Speidel.

It will be either a good recommendation or a warning for future customers.

Cheers
Andy
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Okire » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:59 am

Thank you for the feedback!
Had a closer look at the bottom of my BM and found the same problem as brewerben described, there is a couple of mm gap at the back of the BM.
I have contacted the company I bought the BM from and will keep you updated on the response.

/Erik
Try my two commercially available beers, Sheriffen and Alkemisten (Sweden only sadly)
Okire

Unread postby Cervantes » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:14 am

Just a thought guys............

It's not something as simple as the main central threaded rod being bent and pushing the malt pipe over a bit when the filter plates are installed?

Does the malt pipe sit flush without the filter plates? Or is there still a gap?

Edit:

Sorry I've just re-read the thread. It's clearly not brewerben's problem anyway.
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Okire » Mon May 05, 2014 1:30 pm

Happy days!

Speidel will send me a new "shell", while I have been to late to report to be covered by the guarantee period they will not replace my unit but they will send me the "outer part" of the unit and I will have to refit the pumps and stuff. They say they will include a insulation jacket for the effort.

Great customer support Speidel!

/Erik
Okire

Unread postby niels » Mon May 05, 2014 6:47 pm

Okire wrote:Happy days!

Speidel will send me a new "shell", while I have been to late to report to be covered by the guarantee period they will not replace my unit but they will send me the "outer part" of the unit and I will have to refit the pumps and stuff. They say they will include a insulation jacket for the effort.

Great customer support Speidel!

/Erik

That's great! Do you have to send back the other kettle/outer part or can you keep it.

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Next

Return to Technical Support