Controller Screen Condensation

Experiencing technical problems? Look here for help!
Mashman
Model: 20 litres

Re: Controller Screen Condensation

Unread post by Mashman » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:45 pm

Yes, I understand that, but how does the moisture get into the controller in the first place?

mashy

Unread post by mashy » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:33 am

Mashman wrote:Yes, I understand that, but how does the moisture get into the controller in the first place?
One part bad design followed up with much bad customer support.

I have been brewing on my original for 7 maybe 8 years and not the slightest whisp of condensation.
Last edited by mashy on Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mashman

Unread post by Mashman » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:21 am

I agree. But I still want to know how the moisture enters the controller. It could be that the gasket between the two halves is not sealing correctly. The curved front panel appears to be glued to the controller body I suspect this may not be an airtight seal. The size of the heatsink on the rear of the controller indicates that a fair amount of heat needs to be dissipated. Is the controller vented to avoid a pressure build up? If so air would be drawn in as the unit cooled after use.

chastuck
Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread post by chastuck » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:02 pm

Mashman wrote:I agree. But I still want to know how the moisture enters the controller. It could be that the gasket between the two halves is not sealing correctly. The curved front panel appears to be glued to the controller body I suspect this may not be an airtight seal. The size of the heatsink on the rear of the controller indicates that a fair amount of heat needs to be dissipated. Is the controller vented to avoid a pressure build up? If so air would be drawn in as the unit cooled after use.
The unit is not airtight. If it was, Speidel could have vacuum sealed the unit to prevent any moisture problems. The unit generates heat due to the semiconductors inside it when it is operational. The front of the screen is colder due to its proximity to the outside air. Because the unit is not airtight, when it heats up the air inside the unit is warmer, thus moisture is formed on the screen due to dew point physics. When air cools to its dew point through contact with a surface that is colder than the air, water will condense on the surface.

mashy

Unread post by mashy » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:20 pm

... And the outer surface is glass (cooler).

Would a small fan help?

Nolan
Model: 10 litres (2015)

Unread post by Nolan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:46 am

mashy wrote:Would a small fan help?
A small fan like a hairdryer, set on low heat, would help indeed…

I brew mostly outside on the veranda. During summer, above 20º C,
the screen shows no condensation at all.
During winter, below 12º C, sometimes a little, but, causing no problems so far.
Sometimes I use a hairdryer to warm slightly the screen.
Sometimes an early sun does the trick for me and warms the panel,
the condensation disappears.

mashy

Unread post by mashy » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:36 am

That's interesting. I was thinking a few holes one side and a small cpu type box fan attached the other side of the controller.

Mashman

Unread post by Mashman » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:01 pm

Warming the outside of the screen may dissipate the condensation but this simply means the moisture is merely returned to water vapour inside the controller. I'm not sure that is any better for the electrics than condensation.

BTW I have fitted the useless grommet/vent Speidel sent me.

As I see it, if the controller is not hermetically sealed and I want to stop the condensation issue I have 2 options;

A : - Try to seal the controller, run a bead of sealant along the join where body of the controller joins the front screen panel and apply some form of sealant to the gasket between the two halves of the controller. Assuming this worked is there a risk the heat inside could cause a pressure build up, and if so would this be detrimental in any way? This assumes the cable entryways are airtight, something I doubt very much.

B : - Provide some form of forced air ventilation to the controller. This would involve drilling holes in the controller, perhaps fitting small diameter pipes and pump air into the controller or draw it out. Not sure this would be effective as the air in a brew shed on a cold day is likely to have a high humidity anyway !

The condensation does not affect my use of the BM, I am however concerned about the long term effects on electronic components. Looking inside after 4 1/2 years and 70 + brews the components look like new but I don't know if that means anything !

Comments/suggestions welcome.