My Homebrew Setup

This is the place to brag about your brewhouse set-up. Pictures are greatly appreciated!

My Homebrew Setup

Unread postby TequilaTom » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:10 pm

So I said in the new member thread (back in January) that I would put up pics of my omebrew setup. Finally got around to it. Just made a brown ale and took pics during the brew.

This is my motorized MM3 mill:
image.jpg

Here is my 50L w/ stainless hood:
image.jpg

My setup for transferring to the fermenter:
image.jpg

And the fermenter itself in a fridge for temperature control (I have a Fermostat programmable thermostat):
image.jpg

Really happy with how everything works. I brew in my basement during the winter, and can brew on my back patio during nice weather. :beer:
TequilaTom

Model: 50 litres

Re: My Homebrew Setup

Unread postby stevodevo » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:22 pm

Very nice setup you have there TequilaTom. Gee that Fermenator is a tight squeeze into the fridge. Bet you had some doubts for a few nervous minutes when you got it home and stood them side by side.
stevodevo

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:32 pm

love it!
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby TequilaTom » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:55 pm

stevodevo wrote:Very nice setup you have there TequilaTom. Gee that Fermenator is a tight squeeze into the fridge. Bet you had some doubts for a few nervous minutes when you got it home and stood them side by side.

Yeah. I actually had to have the extension legs cut shorter so it would fit. But I knew I was cutting it close!!
TequilaTom

Unread postby HopSong » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:51 pm

Love what you did with the mill. I never thought of a jackshaft to drive two sets of pulleys. What is your final RPM?
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby TequilaTom » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:35 pm

HbgBill wrote:Love what you did with the mill. I never thought of a jackshaft to drive two sets of pulleys. What is your final RPM?

I don't exactly remember, I do know that I used a pulley calculator online to bring the rpm down to around 150.
TequilaTom

Unread postby jamesallen » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:48 am

TequilaTom,
Very nice setup! I like the way you converted the stock valve from the BM and switched to quick disconnects. Also, it looks like you built an in-line oxygen system under the thermometer and after the wort chiller. If possible, do you mind posting your parts list from the BM through the line to fermenter? I am most curious how you made the connection from the BSPP on the BM to the ball valve and where you got the part in the US. It is a hassle with all of the different types of pipe threads from BSSP, NPT, MPT, but it looks like you got it all working together.
jamesallen

Unread postby TequilaTom » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:31 pm

jamesallen wrote:TequilaTom,
Very nice setup! I like the way you converted the stock valve from the BM and switched to quick disconnects. Also, it looks like you built an in-line oxygen system under the thermometer and after the wort chiller. If possible, do you mind posting your parts list from the BM through the line to fermenter? I am most curious how you made the connection from the BSPP on the BM to the ball valve and where you got the part in the US. It is a hassle with all of the different types of pipe threads from BSSP, NPT, MPT, but it looks like you got it all working together.

Thanks!!
I will post once I gather all the info & take pics. I know I got the thread adapter from Amazon. It was not a true BSPP to NPT adapter, it was close, but had to use a bit of teflon tape and a couple silicone washers. I also had to be careful not to overtighten. I guess as long as it works, huh?
TequilaTom

Unread postby TequilaTom » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:20 pm

Ok,
Here's how it's setup. First you need to get a stainless hex bushing 3/4" male NPT to 1/2" female NPT like this one from Amazon:
image.jpg

The 3/4" MPT (male NPT) is very close to the BSSP on the Braumeister, but is loose. I suggest you first attach a 1/2" female quick disconnect to the hex bushing (use teflon tape on threads). Then add 2 pcs 23mm x 30mm x 3.5mm silicone o-rings like these on the 3/4" thread:
image.jpg

Wrap the 3/4" thread about 4 or 5 times (maybe a little more) with teflon tape so it fits snugly and attach this to the BM. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN!!! Should end up looking like this:
image.jpg

I have used this setup for over 2 years and it has not leaked 1 drop!! Just be sure to tighten snugly but don't crank on it!

Add whatever 1/2" ball valve you wish with a male QD on one end and female QD on the other:
image.jpg

I use a braided hose rated for boiling liquid with 2 male barbed QD's to hook the BM to my march pump. The pump has 2 female QD's attached. I had to add 2 pieces of 1/2" stainless couplers to do this:
image.jpg

I have a Blichmann Hop Rocket attached next. Both the inlet and outlet have male QD's attached. Both also use stainless couplers. The outlet (on top) also has a small piece of stainless pipe and a 90 degree elbow.
image.jpg

The plate chiller is next. It has a female QD and a coupler on the inlet (see above photo) and a ball valve with a male QD on the outlet. I also attached garden hose QD's for the water hookups.
image.jpg

Finally the oxygenator/thermometer is attached. I got mine from Morebeer.com. They have one that comes without any barbed hookups. I attached a female QD to the top tee, and a male QD to the bottom tee.
image.jpg

The top (female QD) hooks up to the outlet of the plate chiller. The bottom (male QD) hooks to a transfer hose that has a female QD. That hose also has a 1 1/2" triclamp attachment to hook to my Fermenator. The bottom barb is the diffusion stone that hooks to my oxygen tank. I use a long hose for that because during transfer, some wort does get into this hose and I don't want it getting to my regulator! I have an inline valve I can turn off if need be.

If I don't want to use hops in my Hop Rocket (say for a stout or brown ale) I just put a fine muslin bag inside to catch whatever trub from going into the plate chiller. I made the stand from scrap wood laying around so all heights line up properly.

And that's that!! :beerbang:
TequilaTom

Unread postby jamesallen » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:40 am

Thanks for taking the time to break everything down. I am motivated to improve my setup now. I have a similar setup as yours (BM, march pump, plate chiller, More Beer conical) I hit wort with O2 after it is transferred into the fermenter from the top). I do not have any quick disconnects so this takes some time to assemble. I have a Harbor Freight winch on the wall that I use for hoisting the malt pipe, which works well. I am thinking about switching to a platform truck like yours because I could simply pull the BM out from under the suspended malt pipe and resume with boiling. I also like your grain mill setup. Thanks again for your time!
Cheers :beer:
jamesallen

Unread postby TequilaTom » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:39 am

jamesallen wrote:Thanks for taking the time to break everything down. I am motivated to improve my setup now. I have a similar setup as yours (BM, march pump, plate chiller, More Beer conical) I hit wort with O2 after it is transferred into the fermenter from the top). I do not have any quick disconnects so this takes some time to assemble. I have a Harbor Freight winch on the wall that I use for hoisting the malt pipe, which works well. I am thinking about switching to a platform truck like yours because I could simply pull the BM out from under the suspended malt pipe and resume with boiling. I also like your grain mill setup. Thanks again for your time!
Cheers :beer:

We must be long lost brothers! I also have a Harbor Freight winch to lift the malt pipe. I am no longer able to lift much due to 2 neck surgeries ( I have 5 vertebrae fused w/ 2 titanium plates & 10 screws!!!) The winch sure makes it easy!
You are quite welcome for the post, glad to help! :cheers:
TequilaTom

Unread postby HopSong » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:42 pm

I just bought a cheap HF rope (plastic-uhhh) double pulley setup. I only have a 20L system.. but it is high. I either use that or a ladder. I'm trying the pulley today with the yoke as a safety when Nesto comes up today to help with the first brew.

Bad back and just plain O-L-D..
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby johnrm » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:15 am

TequilaTom wrote:I am no longer able to lift much due to 2 neck surgeries ( I have 5 vertebrae fused w/ 2 titanium plates & 10 screws!!!)

Does that explain the avatar?
johnrm

Unread postby TequilaTom » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:16 pm

johnrm wrote:
TequilaTom wrote:I am no longer able to lift much due to 2 neck surgeries ( I have 5 vertebrae fused w/ 2 titanium plates & 10 screws!!!)

Does that explain the avatar?

Yes it does. That's actually an xray after my first surgery. I now have another plate & 2 screws below that one. Another disc blew out when I got rear-ended by a texting teenager! Man was I pissed! But they got me in good shape, I can still work, but I really need to watch what I lift and the damp cold weather here in Ohio right now is not feeling too good. But at least I can still brew!!!! :drink:
TequilaTom

Unread postby GregB » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:54 pm

Hi
I love your homebrew Setup so much that I made a replica of it, but used Cam locks instead. Yesterday, I tested the system by running water through it and It worked like a charm without an leaks. However, I notice the hop rocket had excess water left in it. What is the best way to avoid it from spilling it all over the place when I disconnect it? Do you usually let it cool down and then remove it? Or do you flush it with water first? What is the best way to clean a system like this?

Thanks again for putting a great post together.

Thanks
GregB
GregB

Next

Return to Show-off