new toy!

This is the place to brag about your brewhouse set-up. Pictures are greatly appreciated!

new toy!

Unread postby paddye » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:05 pm

Just ordered, can't wait for it to arrive!

chronical-14-gallons-53-litres.jpg
chronical-14-gallons-53-litres.jpg (15.77 KiB) Viewed 1618 times
paddye
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:29 pm
Location: The Hague NL

Re: new toy!

Unread postby 3LB » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:56 pm

Nice!

How are you going to control the fermentation temp?

John
User avatar
3LB
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:27 pm
Location: Harderwijk, The Netherlands
Model: 20 litres

Re: new toy!

Unread postby paddye » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:51 pm

Build a big box round the front of a fridge then use an stc1000 with a heat source of some kind.
paddye
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:29 pm
Location: The Hague NL

Re: new toy!

Unread postby cpa4ny » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:18 am

Fantastic! That's really a dream fermenter. :beer:
_______________________
20L BM user from Singapore
User avatar
cpa4ny
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:54 am
Location: Singapore
Model: 20 litres

Re: new toy!

Unread postby royco » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:07 am

Ooooohh! That is beautiful and I want one immediately.
How much? It may be prohibitively costly to ship to South Africa.
royco
 
Posts: 394
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:48 am
Location: Durban, South Africa
Model: 50 litres

Re: new toy!

Unread postby bhe » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:18 am

Which brand is it, what did it cost and where did you order it?
I'm most likely going down the same path around summer.

/Bernt
bhe
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:51 pm

Re: new toy!

Unread postby McMullan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:31 am

paddye wrote:Build a big box round the front of a fridge then use an stc1000 with a heat source of some kind.


Nice fermenter. It's making me dribble. I have a massive corner fridge and one of these www.amazon.co.uk/Zoo-Med-RHC-15-Repti-C ... 6GVE0FG3S1 works perfectly. They're very flexible and safe enough to use in a refrigerated environ.
McMullan
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:31 pm
Model: 20 litres

Re: new toy!

Unread postby paddye » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:09 am

royco wrote:Ooooohh! That is beautiful and I want one immediately.
How much? It may be prohibitively costly to ship to South Africa.


I ordered it from Niels' new shop https://homebrewshop.be/nl/gistingsvate ... liter.html 470 euros including free shipping to the NL.
paddye
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:29 pm
Location: The Hague NL

Re: new toy!

Unread postby paddye » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:12 am

McMullan wrote:
paddye wrote:Build a big box round the front of a fridge then use an stc1000 with a heat source of some kind.


Nice fermenter. It's making me dribble. I have a massive corner fridge and one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zoo-Med-RHC-15- ... 6GVE0FG3S1 works perfectly. They're very flexible and safe enough to use in a refrigerated environ.


do you have it wrapped around your fermenter or just leave it on the floor?
do you bother with any fans to circulate the air inside your fridge?
paddye
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:29 pm
Location: The Hague NL

Re: new toy!

Unread postby McMullan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:59 pm

paddye wrote:
McMullan wrote:
paddye wrote:Build a big box round the front of a fridge then use an stc1000 with a heat source of some kind.


Nice fermenter. It's making me dribble. I have a massive corner fridge and one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zoo-Med-RHC-15- ... 6GVE0FG3S1 works perfectly. They're very flexible and safe enough to use in a refrigerated environ.


do you have it wrapped around your fermenter or just leave it on the floor?
do you bother with any fans to circulate the air inside your fridge?


I run it up and down the sides of the fridge once and once around the tops of two shelves where fermenters sit. It is easily secured (and removed) with electrical tape, because it's so flexible and light (originally designed to wrap round tree branches in reptile tanks). I can't see any reason why you couldn't wrap it round a fermenter. It doesn't get too hot to handle so can't damage anything. One thing to note is whatever size cable you might go for, the first 2 metres from the plug don't heat up. So my 7m cable has 5m of heating cable. My fridge has a built-in fan, but it only comes on during cooling mode. I've got a 12v fan for the heating mode ready, but have got round to setting it up. I monitor it with 2 weather station transmitters so I don't need to open the fridge. It varies by about 1.2 C between the top and bottom shelves.
McMullan
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:31 pm
Model: 20 litres

Re: new toy!

Unread postby paddye » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:08 pm

Thanks for the info. The plan to insert the probe in the thermowell and wire the fridge and reptile heater into my STC1000 then it should be able to automatically switch from heating to cooling all by itslef. Once its all setup I'll post a pic or two.
paddye
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:29 pm
Location: The Hague NL

Re: new toy!

Unread postby royco » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:21 am

paddye, does 53L mean the absolute volume or the batch size? For a 50L brew you would only have a few cm to spare if it was the actual fermenter volume.
royco
 
Posts: 394
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:48 am
Location: Durban, South Africa
Model: 50 litres

Re: new toy!

Unread postby paddye » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:32 am

royco wrote:paddye, does 53L mean the absolute volume or the batch size? For a 50L brew you would only have a few cm to spare if it was the actual fermenter volume.

Youre righ, bezst upgrade to th 1/2 barrel version. Thanks for pointing that out.
paddye
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:29 pm
Location: The Hague NL

Re: new toy!

Unread postby moellinger » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:13 am

Hey paddye,

Nice fermenter!

I've just pimped my STC-1000 in order to program certain fermentation profiles by flashing a new firmware. You might want to check this out at https://github.com/matsstaff/stc1000p . For the heating I'm using a switchboard heating element with 60W.

Isn't too tricky if you can solder and works like a charm now.

Regards
Daniel
moellinger
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:20 pm
Location: Germany, Ruhrvalley
Model: 20 litres

Re: new toy!

Unread postby paddye » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:36 pm

Thanks Daniel I'll look into it, I'm going round my mates house tomorrow to turn his garage into a brewery, having programmable fermentation profiles would be great.
paddye
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:29 pm
Location: The Hague NL

Next

Return to Show-off

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest