Sous Vide in the BM

This is the place to brag about your brewhouse set-up. Pictures are greatly appreciated!

Re: Sous Vide in the BM

Unread postby Biermeister » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:05 pm

dinnerstick wrote:one tip for home sous-vide chefs, regardless of what you use for your water bath. if you use a little countertop vacuum sealer like i do, you can't really have liquids in the bag without them being sucked out of the bag and into the vacuum pump. to circumvent this problem i took inspiration from wyeast and developed the barbeque sauce smack pack: take a cheap sandwich bag, fill it with your sauce, marinare, oil, whatever liquid you want. press out all the air, tie it off tightly, and trim any extra plastic bag away. pop that in your sealing back with your dry sous vide slab-o-meat, and seal the whole thing. give it a good whallop like a smack pack, to break the baggie. spread the sauce around and off you go. i checked the potential hazards of using those bags at high temps with a toxicologist (for basic brewing radio listeners, it was paul the toxicologist, we met for some beers!), he assured me there is no toxic hazard introduced.
sv10.jpg

sv20.jpg

sv30.jpg

sv40.jpg

When I have let over BBQ from my Ceramic Grill/Smoker (Primo Oval XL), I pour Apple Juice into a baggie and freeze it overnight. I remove the frozen apple juice from the bag and add it to the left over BBQ Pork Butt in a foodsaver bag and suck it up. That way when I re-heat it melts and keeps the meat moist. You could do the same with any sauce/BBQ that you want to Sous Vide with. I will have try to Sous Vide on y new BM 20l. But I'm assuming the end result would be much like "Finney's Reverse Sear" method that is also quite popular.
Biermeister

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby Falkens » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:28 am

// Jonas
My Brewery
Falkens

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Onthebrew » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:40 am

eccelent thread- just found it. will have a good read through this this evening. i already have a sous vide machine,and its great but it is limited in size, i was thinking about theoriticlly using the BM to do a job lot of steaks for a dinner party, looks like a goer.
Onthebrew

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:15 pm

Onthebrew wrote:eccelent thread- just found it. will have a good read through this this evening. i already have a sous vide machine,and its great but it is limited in size, i was thinking about theoriticlly using the BM to do a job lot of steaks for a dinner party, looks like a goer.

that's exactly my situation. a whole rack of ribs won't fit in the normal one. i can fill the BM with them!
dinnerstick

Unread postby jonledrew » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:24 pm

@dinnerstick - There have been a couple of things I have wanted to try with my BM. The first being a kettle sour and the second is to use it as a sous vide bath. Thanks for blazing the trail and keeping us up to date on your results.
jonledrew

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:15 pm

my pleasure!!
dinnerstick

Unread postby mashy » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:26 am

I also you big batches - vaccy pack in small batches. THEN straight into the freezer and reheat when you want.
mashy

Previous

Return to Show-off