Sous Vide in the BM

This is the place to brag about your brewhouse set-up. Pictures are greatly appreciated!

Sous Vide in the BM

Unread postby Tipsy » Wed May 28, 2014 10:56 pm

Awesome, thanks Dicko.

Smackpack! Great idea Dinnerstick.
Tipsy

Re: Sous Vide in the BM

Unread postby bruulog » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:31 am

"55 degrees for 3 days" ?

So, basically you let the meat to start decomposing in it's own juice? Interesting idea! :cheers:
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby cunnyfunt » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:28 am

Lol smackpack is pure genius indeed.
50L Fermenter/keg #1 - 100% wheat vodka
50L Fermenter/keg #2 - 100% wheat vodka
50L Fermenter/keg #3 - 100% wheat vodka
50L Fermenter/keg #4 - 100% wheat vodka
50L Fermenter/keg #5 - planned Stone and Wood pacific ale clone
cunnyfunt

Unread postby ibbones » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:22 pm

I did my first Sous Vide yesterday in the BM. I had five seasoned chicken leg quarters and they were frozen. Pulled from the freezer the night before to the fridge but when I got ready to cook, they were still partly frozen.
I added water to the BM, set temp to 74* and let it warm up a bit. I put my chicken quarters in a freezer bag and dropped them into the water with a binder clip to hold the bag against the center rod.
Two and a half hours later, I pulled them out and placed the bag into an ice bath to quickly cool (had some time before supper). When it was time to eat, I pulled the chicken out of the freezer bag and put in the oven to broil and get that crispy skin.
It was yummy but I do not think I will do it again. Not that I didn't like it but having to pull out the BM and set it on a folding table, then add lots of water so the bag will not touch the heating elements, then take everything down.
I do think I will add a Sous Vide cooker to my kitchen some day, just not in the BM.
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby mashy » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:42 pm

Yeah. Thats sort of where I got too as well. Good but not that good I could be arsed to setup everything
mashy

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:28 pm

ibbones wrote:I did my first Sous Vide yesterday in the BM. I had five seasoned chicken leg quarters and they were frozen. Pulled from the freezer the night before to the fridge but when I got ready to cook, they were still partly frozen.
I added water to the BM, set temp to 74* and let it warm up a bit. I put my chicken quarters in a freezer bag and dropped them into the water with a binder clip to hold the bag against the center rod.
Two and a half hours later, I pulled them out and placed the bag into an ice bath to quickly cool (had some time before supper). When it was time to eat, I pulled the chicken out of the freezer bag and put in the oven to broil and get that crispy skin.
It was yummy but I do not think I will do it again. Not that I didn't like it but having to pull out the BM and set it on a folding table, then add lots of water so the bag will not touch the heating elements, then take everything down.
I do think I will add a Sous Vide cooker to my kitchen some day, just not in the BM.

If you use the filter plates in the bottom of the BM then the bag will be clear of the element.
The bag can then lay flat and will negate the need to fill the BM near to the top with water to cover the food.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Tipsy » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:05 pm

Dicko wrote:If you use the filter plates in the bottom of the BM then the bag will be clear of the element.
The bag can then lay flat and will negate the need to fill the BM near to the top with water to cover the food.

I concur..stack the plates to give you the height. Also while going to the effort to do steak you may as well chuck in some 60 minute eggs.
Tipsy

Unread postby ibbones » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:23 pm

Thanks for that Dicko. I'm not that smart to think about that. I will give it another go. And Tipsy, didn't even think about the eggs or I be eating one for breakfast today. :)
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Unread postby squadricus » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:05 pm

chefsteps.com has some good videos showing sous vide preps.
We are the 801, we are the central shaft
squadricus

Unread postby ibbones » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:39 pm

squadricus wrote:chefsteps.com has some good videos showing sous vide preps.

I have watched a BUNCH of those. That is why I wanted to try a step like this but not ready to shell out any extra money to buy a water circulatory system at this time.
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Unread postby PerzellBrewing » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:47 pm

You could always try one of these if you are in the US: Anova Culinary Bluetooth Precision Cooker

Have read it works great for cooking and for heating sparge water or to aid BM in getting water to temp.
BM20 Owner in US
Twitter: @PerzellBrewing
FB: Perzell Brewing
Pinterest: PBrewing
Shop: TeePublic Storefront
PerzellBrewing

Unread postby ibbones » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:17 pm

PerzellBrewing wrote:You could always try one of these if you are in the US: Anova Culinary Bluetooth Precision Cooker

Have read it works great for cooking and for heating sparge water or to aid BM in getting water to temp.

That is the one I am looking at but I do have some other things I need to take care of before the wife "lets" me buy another toy, :lol:
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Unread postby ibbones » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:22 pm

I tried the Sous Vide again last night. Had some pork chops in the freezer that were calling my name. I seasoned them up and vac-sealed them into four different bags, filled the BM with water and set the malt pipe in with the bottom screen this time. Set the chops into the water at 60* and walked away. About two hours later I went to pull them out and one of the bags did not seal completely. I have pork chop grease floating in my BM. :x The chops were great. I threw them on the grill for a few minutes each side to make them pretty and today I get to clean up my greasy brewing machine.
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Unread postby tommes » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:30 pm

ibbones, this calls for dishwasher-powder. fill, put in the same parts as yesterday, heat to 70°C and let it circulate for an hour.
tommes

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby Dicko » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:42 pm

ibbones wrote:I tried the Sous Vide again last night. Had some pork chops in the freezer that were calling my name. I seasoned them up and vac-sealed them into four different bags, filled the BM with water and set the malt pipe in with the bottom screen this time. Set the chops into the water at 60* and walked away. About two hours later I went to pull them out and one of the bags did not seal completely. I have pork chop grease floating in my BM. :x The chops were great. I threw them on the grill for a few minutes each side to make them pretty and today I get to clean up my greasy brewing machine.

Bones,
i dont use the maltipe I just put the filter plate in the bottom but upside down.
I run it on manual mode with the pump running as well.
If you want a bit more height then put the second plate in upside down as well on top of the first one.

Bad luck about your bag not sealing correctly...fortunately or at least luckily, I have never had that happen.

The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

PreviousNext

Return to Show-off