Sous Vide in the BM

This is the place to brag about your brewhouse set-up. Pictures are greatly appreciated!

Sous Vide in the BM

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:51 am

Is this showing off? not sure but i didn't know where to put the thread. it's more meant to be informative. anyways there are some days when my BM (20L) takes time off, sometimes the fermenters are full after all, so i put him (detlef) to work on dinner. the BM makes an excellent sous vide water bath. for smaller things like bird parts, pork loins, fish, which are a bit more delicate and need less time, i put in the perforated bottom plate, put the meat on there, and then put in the top plate so the meat is sandwiched between. no malt tube. i fill until everything is just submerged, then run the pump to circulate. for short cooking times of course bring the water up to temp and then add food. today i am making 3-day ribs; 4 racks of spare ribs with a spice rub (brown sugar, salt, chili powder, cumin powder, celery seed), two per vac bag, 55 degrees for 3 days and then seared on the bbq. i just plunk the bags in and keep them submerged with one plate above them (top plate is submerged in the pics although hard to see), no pre-heating and no pump. wrap in a towel and leave it. there is no problem from the bags touching the heating element. in the pics they have been in overnight, just getting going converting collagen to delicious glycerine. yes that is my kitchen floor- concrete and builder's roll. kitchen almost done, brew room under construction.

sous_vide_01.jpg
sous_vide_02.jpg
sous_vide_03.jpg
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

RE: Sous Vide in the BM

Unread postby Andy_Chil » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:17 am

I've often thought about this. I will give it a go. I guess a very good seal on the vacuum packing is vital. I don't want any porky flavours in my ale! :P
Andy_Chil

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:35 pm

me neither... but i must say the plastic is not 100% impermeable even with the high quality triple layer vac bags i use. some flavor compounds inevitably leech out over 2-3 days, so you can actually smell spices even with a very good seal. but i have faith in my cleaning products! if they can get hot break, hop gunk, super grimy thick stout wort, etc. out of the pump and off the elements i'm not worried about the spices or meat carrying over. indeed after standard oxyclean treatment there is no discernible smell, so i always clean well after sous vide use.
dinnerstick

Unread postby BrauTim » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:01 pm

Wow, what a great idea, I'm off to look for sous vide recipes............ :beer:
Last edited by BrauTim on Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Re: Sous Vide in the BM

Unread postby BrauTim » Sat May 24, 2014 7:48 pm

I finally got around to trying sous vide, with a couple of racks of organic pork ribs from a local supplier Laverstoke Park Farm, they do grass fed beef, bison, pork, lamb, superb jerky and great fresh veg also :D

48 hours sous vide, BM manually set @ 61°C, constant pumping, ready for Monday BBQ (Bank Holiday here in the UK, I've scheduled sunshine, and the rain has been postponed until Tuesday).

Ribs 1.JPG
Ribs prepped at home with brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper rub, then vacuum sealed.

Ribs 2.JPG
Hand for comparison to show the size of these monsters!

Filling water bottom plate in 1.jpg
Filling the BM with water, bottom filter plate in to prevent the packages from resting directly on the heating elements.

2 ribs in BM 1.jpg
Ribs in.

top plate in.jpg
Top plate in to hold them down.
BrauTim

Unread postby Cervantes » Sat May 24, 2014 11:01 pm

Looks good................

This is on my list of things to try.

So how did they turn out?
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby BrauTim » Sun May 25, 2014 12:20 am

Cervantes wrote:
So how did they turn out?

I'll let you know on Monday 8)
BrauTim

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sun May 25, 2014 7:40 am

nice work! last weekend i did a huge 3-4 cm thick 28 day dry aged cote de boef steak. 50 minutes @ 52 in the BM, then seared on a very hot bbq. wow...
dinnerstick

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon May 26, 2014 12:00 am

dinnerstick wrote:nice work! last weekend i did a huge 3-4 cm thick 28 day dry aged cote de boef steak. 50 minutes @ 52 in the BM, then seared on a very hot bbq. wow...

I've got a couple of fillets (tenderloin) probably about that thick in the freezer which I'll try next, do you like your steak rare?
BrauTim

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon May 26, 2014 7:40 am

i do indeed! i've only done steak sous vide once, but it came out just the way i wanted. i have pics somewhere... will post if i can dig them up
dinnerstick

Unread postby Tipsy » Wed May 28, 2014 6:23 am

I've got to try this.
Any link to recipes, temperature guides etc.?
Tipsy

Sous Vide in the BM

Unread postby Dicko » Wed May 28, 2014 10:15 am

The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby dinnerstick » Wed May 28, 2014 11:58 am

one tip for home sous-vide chefs, regardless of what you use for your water bath. if you use a little countertop vacuum sealer like i do, you can't really have liquids in the bag without them being sucked out of the bag and into the vacuum pump. to circumvent this problem i took inspiration from wyeast and developed the barbeque sauce smack pack: take a cheap sandwich bag, fill it with your sauce, marinare, oil, whatever liquid you want. press out all the air, tie it off tightly, and trim any extra plastic bag away. pop that in your sealing back with your dry sous vide slab-o-meat, and seal the whole thing. give it a good whallop like a smack pack, to break the baggie. spread the sauce around and off you go. i checked the potential hazards of using those bags at high temps with a toxicologist (for basic brewing radio listeners, it was paul the toxicologist, we met for some beers!), he assured me there is no toxic hazard introduced.
sv10.jpg

sv20.jpg

sv30.jpg

sv40.jpg
dinnerstick

Unread postby jervell » Wed May 28, 2014 2:15 pm

That's a great idea! Another solution which I have been using is folding some paper tissue and making a barrier between the food and the opening of the bag. Sauce/moist then gets vacuumed toward the sealer but is effectively stopped/absorbed by the tissue.

Edit: Straying off topic, sorry. Got carried away by the smack pack idea. Really cool. B-)
jervell

Unread postby Cervantes » Wed May 28, 2014 10:09 pm

dinnerstick wrote:one tip for home sous-vide chefs, regardless of what you use for your water bath. if you use a little countertop vacuum sealer like i do, you can't really have liquids in the bag without them being sucked out of the bag and into the vacuum pump. to circumvent this problem i took inspiration from wyeast and developed the barbeque sauce smack pack:

Pure Genius...................... :cheers:
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Next

Return to Show-off