My brew corner.

This is the place to brag about your brewhouse set-up. Pictures are greatly appreciated!

My brew corner.

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:33 pm

It's not exactly showing off, compared to some of the amazing brew rooms you lot have posted. But here's my little brewing nook that I recently built. It's in use, and very messy at the moment. Got a lot of projects going at once, and I haven't unpacked everything yet...
This little room over the kitchen used to be a little kid's bedroom. I bought the house 1 year ago, gutted a whole lot of it. Plumbed this room, moved the old kitchen cabinets, sink, etc into the brew room. The old exhaust fan for the stove is now my steam vent. I have to put the lid on halfway to direct the steam into the vent, but it really sucks all of the steam out and does not drip back into the kettle. I tried brewing in there without ventilation and it just about rained in the room, total no-go. With the fan it's great, and the fan is strong enough that there is no noticeable condensation in the pipe. It vents out the roof through an old dryer chimney. You can see my 2-tap kegerator, and that's my sous-vide bath on top of it. The place is big enough to store lots of malt and the 7 or so corny kegs that I have. I also have a small celler where I can ferment using my temp controlled corny, or sometimes ferment in the kegerator. I am currently brewing a mandarina bavaria and el dorado rye IPA fermented with 'trois' strain which is supposed to be brett but has recently been reclassified as (probaby) sacc. Whatever. Great strain. And drinking an oud beersel gueuze.
DSC_0976.jpeg

DSC_0977.jpeg

DSC_0978.jpeg
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Re: My brew corner.

Unread postby bierfest » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:15 pm

Awesome. It must be good to have a dedicated brewing space. I am hoping to build one next year.. at the moment i have to do it outside on our decking or in my small shed. But its such a pain haveing to take everything out, get set up etc..

You have a sink there which I think is a must have in any brew room. How do you manage to lift the malt pipe out of the BM without damaging the ventilator fan hood?
bierfest

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:27 pm

the ventilator thing retracts, so when it's pushed in it's flush with the front of the wood. i slide the BM out a bit and the malt tube has plenty of space. i push it back for the boil. a bit weird but it works a treat. the sink is great, and behind the sliding door is the laundry room and water heater, which has yet another tap with a garden hose quick disconnect, i run the immersion chiller off that tap so the sink is always free. and there's some more storage space there. i don't bottle condition much, but when i do, that room is the perfect temperature.
dinnerstick

Unread postby ibbones » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:56 am

Wow, great ideas from both of you.
I have to brew in the garage where my dryer plug is. Don't worry about the cold since I really do not have any I set up on a folding table that is barly rated to hold a full BM full of water. Some day I will get my personal space where I can keep things set up.
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Unread postby Lindh » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:47 am

malzrohr wrote:Is that (plexy)glass glued to the walls for easy cleaning ?

I wish...
It's regular plastic (think Dexter) for covering floor and walls when painting I had laying around. Prevents wort stains on the walls and helps general cleaning...
Lindh

Unread postby royco » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:04 am

Lindh wrote:I think it would be nice if brewers out there added their brew corners to this thread as well, hope you don't think it's high jacking of your thread =)

The whole Show-off section is for posting pics of brew spaces and Lindh, your very nice space should be under a new thread.
I only realised after a second read that this was yours and not an updated version of dinnerstick's brew corner!

NOTE: For clarity I've splitted Lindh's show-off post to a new thread: Lindh's brewing space. - Niels

Dinnerstick, well done on your compact brew room. I always marvel at people who can organise themselves in smallish spaces. I have a huge room and am constantly being
"given gears" by my wife for messing it up. There is one of Peter's Principles about growing into the available space no matter how large :D
royco

Return to Show-off