Plate chiller

This is the place to brag about your brewhouse set-up. Pictures are greatly appreciated!

Plate chiller

Unread postby marcobock » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:58 am

New plate chiller works like a charm.
Starting at 84 Celsius pumped with the pumping device from Speidel, through the chiller and with 23 Celsius into the fermenter.
Cooling water at around 20 Celsius, being summer in Kenya.
Takes about 20 minutes to empty the BM 50.

Next time I will try water through cooling coil in ice water, should reduce the time.

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
marcobock

Model: 50 litres

Re: Plate chiller

Unread postby mashy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:12 am

I tried a ice pre-chiller with some success.
Salt in the water helps.
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby grooves » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:24 am

Get an under counter cooler -

Use it to cool your incoming water due, and then you can also use it to cool your beer lines when drinking it too.
grooves

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby marcobock » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:16 am

My kegs are in a kegerator so wouldn't need it for my beers
marcobock

Unread postby Bigstew » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:20 pm

See you have the ever present moisture spot inside the controller, my brand new one is the same. Emailed Speidel and waiting for a reply.
Bigstew

Unread postby Kuibrew » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:03 am

We have the 50L Braumeister & we gravity syphon the wort from the Braumeister>30 plate chiller>SS Brewtech 64L fermenter . What got me buzzing is your copper piping ....please explain.....
IE: when is it positioned & what do you think the advantages are ....lastly was it purchased or made by yourself .... I'm impressed !
Kuibrew

Unread postby wally » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:02 am

Kuibrew wrote:We have the 50L Braumeister & we gravity syphon the wort from the Braumeister>30 plate chiller>SS Brewtech 64L fermenter . What got me buzzing is your copper piping ....please explain.....
IE: when is it positioned & what do you think the advantages are ....lastly was it purchased or made by yourself .... I'm impressed !

Looks like one of these https://shop.speidels-braumeister.de/en/accessories/brewing/wort-pump-device-50-litre-braumeister
wally

Unread postby Kuibrew » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:23 am

wally wrote:
Kuibrew wrote:We have the 50L Braumeister & we gravity syphon the wort from the Braumeister>30 plate chiller>SS Brewtech 64L fermenter . What got me buzzing is your copper piping ....please explain.....

Looks like one of these https://shop.speidels-braumeister.de/en/accessories/brewing/wort-pump-device-50-litre-braumeister

Thanx Wally ....after "posting" I went straight to the Braumeister website ...all explained..... The video states the wort is pumped straight to the fermenter , I guess the logic is to pump wort through the chiller>fermenter to save time ..... Only grey area issue is we don't want the protein to be pumped out also (???) into the fermenter any thoughts for discussion is appreciated.
many thanx
Kuibrew

Unread postby wally » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:26 am

Kuibrew wrote:Thanx Wally ....after "posting" I went straight to the Braumeister website ...all explained..... The video states the wort is pumped straight to the fermenter , I guess the logic is to pump wort through the chiller>fermenter to save time ..... Only grey area issue is we don't want the protein to be pumped out also (???) into the fermenter any thoughts for discussion is appreciated.
many thanx

I don't use a plate chiller, as i have a copper counter flow chiller, (not a great deal of difference in cooling potential anyway IMO). Depending on the size of the batch and the temperature of the cooling water, I either pump via a separate pump or gravity feed into a fermenter.

I'm not overly concerned re cold break getting into the fermenter, as i mainly brew ales. It's debatable whether cold break is detrimental to a fermentation. Some literature says it's beneficial. When I finally get around to brewing some lagers I'll look into reducing the cold break in order to get as clean a fermentation as possible.
wally

Unread postby Kuibrew » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:30 am

wally wrote:
Kuibrew wrote:Thanx Wally ....after "posting" I went straight to the Braumeister website ...all explained..... The video states the wort is pumped straight to the fermenter , I guess the logic is to pump wort through the chiller>fermenter to save time ..... Only grey area issue is we don't want the protein to be pumped out also (???) into the fermenter any thoughts for discussion is appreciated.
many thanx

I don't use a plate chiller, as i have a copper counter flow chiller, (not a great deal of difference in cooling potential anyway IMO). Depending on the size of the batch and the temperature of the cooling water, I either pump via a separate pump or gravity feed into a fermenter.

I'm not overly concerned re cold break getting into the fermenter, as i mainly brew ales. It's debatable whether cold break is detrimental to a fermentation. Some literature says it's beneficial. When I finally get around to brewing some lagers I'll look into reducing the cold break in order to get as clean a fermentation as possible.

Totally understood (I think)....but our concern is if we pump (using the new apparatus as shown in the picture above) surely it will suck out the protein into the fermenter. Our experience ( only 16 batch novices) has shown us the protein leads to clouding in our bottles even when using finnings or Irish Moss ,& we are trying to avoid filters which take away the hop oils etc .So using this copper gizmo what are the true advantages ? Once I understand the potential of the new device I will run with it ,but at present we are debating the full potential & the economics of this method . Phew !!! :beerbang:
Kuibrew

Unread postby mashy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:47 am

I don't know for sure, but I have long suspected copper plays a part of stopping protein haze in bottles.

Copper is reactive, ss is invert.

I only mention it here, 'cos I guess Wally, your counterflow is copper & so is my IC is copper & neither have an issue.

I think (maybe) setups that are all 100% stainless might be more prone to the probs. Dunno like I say just a thought /observation.
mashy

Unread postby mashy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:55 am

You might also consider a inline filter with scrubbies in it. Brilliant for floaters and gives hi flow. Some fuel filters mod very easily.
mashy

Return to Show-off