Glycol chiller

This is the place to brag about your brewhouse set-up. Pictures are greatly appreciated!

Re: Glycol chiller

Unread postby tsgreen » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:20 pm

Joe1002 wrote:Am I correct in thinking you are going to circulate cold glycol through your plate chiller and back to the glycol chiller?

If so, will it not ultimately burn the motor out as it will be desperately trying to cool hot glycol?

I've no experience of glycol chillers so bear with me, I'm comparing it to using a python line on a beer chiller.

Yes that is correct.

Do not know, but dont think so. I am hoping worse case scenario would be it simply cant keep up. I was amazed how quickly it dropped the temperature 30F. I hope to find out this weekend and report back though.
tsgreen

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby tsgreen » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:18 pm

The first test, chilling wort, wasn't as great as I had hoped. Not giving up on it, but it did not chill it in 15 minutes like normal. Was testing extremes with full flow through chiller back into the Braumeister, could not keep up. Water would not have either though. Let it reduce temp and slowed flow it did OK. Thinking about borrowing an immersion chiller to see how it works with that. I would trade a little slower for the water savings, with either chiller type. Worse case scenario, it will easily and accurately control fermentation!

I am also thinking more liquid in the system may help. I have a large coil of tubing or I would use a bucket as an additional reservoir. Thoughts?

I will update in a couple of weeks with next brewing session. :mrgreen:
tsgreen

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Joe1002 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:15 pm

Personally, I think I would use the chiller to cool an additional bucket of water, then I would have the pipe from the tap to the chiller running through that. The chiller should be able to keep up with that and you should use less water as it will cool quicker?

Just a thought.
Joe1002

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby mashy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Joe1002 wrote:

If so, will it not ultimately burn the motor out as it will be desperately trying to cool hot glycol?

Nope. Motors don't have feelings
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby mashy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:15 pm

Joe1002 wrote:Personally, I think I would use the chiller to cool an additional bucket of water, then I would have the pipe from the tap to the chiller running through that. The chiller should be able to keep up with that and you should use less water as it will cool quicker?

Just a thought.

Nah. BM > Ice bucket > Chiller > BM

Ice bucket with salty water work very well. Think jockey box - you can use it for dispense then too.

You can reuse the ice /water.
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Previous

Return to Show-off