Glycol chiller

This is the place to brag about your brewhouse set-up. Pictures are greatly appreciated!

Glycol chiller

Unread postby tsgreen » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:34 pm

Pretty excited about this addition! Hoping this will cut a large percentage of my water consumption chilling wort, allow me to ferment during summer months, and also do some controlled lagering. :mrgreen:
Attachments
Chiller.jpg
tsgreen

Model: 50 litres

Re: Glycol chiller

Unread postby Cristian » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:00 pm

congrats, looks great!
what is your FV?
Cristian

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby tsgreen » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:21 pm

FV - flow volume? Sorry not sure if that is what you are asking.
tsgreen

Unread postby Ger » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:09 pm

May be a stupid question... how would your/a Glycol Chiller work if say it was connected to a stainless steel coil which is immersed into the braumeister at the end of the boil for rapid chilling?

I think you have a plate chiller... just thinking of a solution that doesnt involve the plate chiller

Ger
Ger

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby tsgreen » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:15 pm

Ger wrote:May be a stupid question... how would your/a Glycol Chiller work if say it was connected to a stainless steel coil which is immersed into the braumeister at the end of the boil for rapid chilling?

I think you have a plate chiller... just thinking of a solution that doesnt involve the plate chiller

Ger

Not at all. Both would work as they would with cold water pushed through them. I just prefer the plate chiller, but use the one you prefer. I do have coils for my SS conical fermenators to control temperature in them with it.
tsgreen

Unread postby nibber » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:04 pm

FV - flow volume? Sorry not sure if that is what you are asking
Think he means fermenting vessel :drink:
nibber

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby tsgreen » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:16 pm

nibber wrote:FV - flow volume? Sorry not sure if that is what you are asking

AH! That makes sense! Thank you.

blichmann fermenators - Conical SS with coils added to lids. Also have a tank with a coil of tube to cool water with carboys for lagering.
tsgreen

Unread postby Ger » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:58 pm

Hey tsgreen... thanks for the update... may look into betting a glycol chiller for cooling my wort prior to transfer to my FV... I won’t be using as much water if I go this route

I see you use the Ssbrewtech conical and control your temperature with a glycol chiller... I can thoroughly recommend the grain father conical with the glycol chiller.. it’s expensive but as they say... once you try it you won’t go back...
Ger

Unread postby mashy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:21 am

Ger.

I am not sure you need this expense for chilling wort. Just a better coil and better process.

You would be trading using water for using electricity. On bigger batches and/or hotter climes this is necessary. But IMO not in the UK with 20l
mashy

Unread postby Cristian » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:16 am

tsgreen wrote:
nibber wrote:FV - flow volume? Sorry not sure if that is what you are asking

AH! That makes sense! Thank you.

blichmann fermenators - Conical SS with coils added to lids. Also have a tank with a coil of tube to cool water with carboys for lagering.

Yes, I was referring to fermentation vessel :)
Did you cold crush using the Glycol chiller with the SS conical? I am curious what is the lowest temperature you can achieve.
:beer:
Cristian

Unread postby Cristian » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:18 am

mashy wrote:Ger.

I am not sure you need this expense for chilling wort. Just a better coil and better process.

You would be trading using water for using electricity. On bigger batches and/or hotter climes this is necessary. But IMO not in the UK with 20l

agree. you may also chill the wort to about 30-35C, transfer to the FV and then connect the glycol chiller to the FV and go down from there.
Cristian

Unread postby tsgreen » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:10 pm

I obtained the chiller for free and am simply looking at where I can use it in my brewing process. The rural area I am in has very expensive water. I wont enter the debate on which wort chiller to use, as I don't see a reason to purchase a different one. Ground water temp in the summer/early fall takes much longer and more water $$. I am hoping this will fix this but have not tested it and very well may not.

During tests on maintaining fermenting temperatures the compressor rarely runs, just the pump continues circulating. Unless i am missing something, most of these systems are going to consume electricity. The fermenting room I have in this house does not work as well in the summers so I am not typically able to brew during these months. This will fix that as well as allow lagering.

Currently it cools to approx 4c. I have read that this can be lowered but need to contact the manufacturer. The engineer that supplied me with the chiller is looking into that.

I am pretty excited about this new addition, practical or not. I see the awesome temp control systems many of you have and have known that was a weak point in my process. I like the idea of the system as it is very mobile and easy to move from brewing area to fermenting area.

I appreciate the feedback!! I am open to suggestions, it is the main reason for posting. I am light years behind many, if not most of you, and really appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I will post some pictures of my set up and results for those interested.

Thanks! :beer:
tsgreen

Unread postby mashy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:48 am

I am sure it will work. And just to be clear, I understand why you have it. In your situation & location I would too.

My previous post is for UK members. We have a far more temperate climes, much cheaper water, and I fail to see the need with a BM20. Unless you are doing some extreme lagers.

Keep us posted once it is setup and let us know your thoughts.
mashy

Unread postby tsgreen » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:15 pm

No worries Mashy, wasn't intending to be defensive, just wanted explain my situation. :beer: I have used your advise from this forum MANY times! :mrgreen:
tsgreen

Unread postby Joe1002 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:33 pm

Am I correct in thinking you are going to circulate cold glycol through your plate chiller and back to the glycol chiller?

If so, will it not ultimately burn the motor out as it will be desperately trying to cool hot glycol?

I've no experience of glycol chillers so bear with me, I'm comparing it to using a python line on a beer chiller.
Joe1002

Next

Return to Show-off