Brewing near a BM50 (aka 1000L of a BM-developed recipe)

This is the place to brag about your brewhouse set-up. Pictures are greatly appreciated!

Brewing near a BM50 (aka 1000L of a BM-developed recipe)

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri May 16, 2014 1:20 pm

I had the privilege of brewing a 1000L bath of one of my recipes this week, at (with) Brouwerij Maximus here in Utrecht. They have a german 2-vessel system that they can knock about 1700L of smaller beers out on, but with my big 1.080 smoked porter the max volume was a bit lower, knocked out 1000L. It turns out lautering in the real world is a bit slower than on a BM...
The beer is for a collaboration with one of the main beer bars in town, called Kafe Belgie, and will be on tap there as soon as it's finished, so all you NL locals or road-tripping BEs stop by and try my dark smoky beer just in time for... summer? yeah it was supposed to be late winter but timings got changed. It doesn't have a name yet, but my 'brewery' is de Kromme Haring, which will be on the tap somewhere.
Oh yeah- in the background of the pic you can clearly make out the old/retired BM50 that they used to use for recipe development at Maximus! so that's why i'm posting it here.... not to show off at all. and that's me, surprise surprise, the home brewer is a balding white guy with a beard.

br4.jpg

br1.jpg
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Re: Brewing near a BM50 (aka 1000L of a BM-developed recipe)

Unread postby niels » Fri May 16, 2014 6:21 pm

One word: jealous! ;)

Congratz! I don't come near Utrecht anytime soon, but let us know when it's on tap. I might find a reason to drive up north.

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Nath83 » Fri May 16, 2014 9:50 pm

That is awesome! :beerbang:
Nath83

Unread postby Cervantes » Fri May 16, 2014 9:52 pm

Very cool................ :cheers:
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby rocketman » Sat May 17, 2014 6:55 am

Wow, the feeling having people drinking and enjoying a beer you have made is great, having 1000l is just amazing! Congrats!
rocketman

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sat May 17, 2014 7:51 am

thanks everyone! i'll get to taste it from the lagering tank in a couple weeks, i'm sure it will be good but you never quite know until you've had it, had to make a few last minute malt substitutions... once it's on tap i'll post again as it would be really cool if anyone from here is around to try it. we hope to barrel age some in a once-used oude jenever (think whisky rather than gin) barrel, we'll see if that goes ahead, and bottle a couple kegs in 500ml glass. on a side note maximus has a really nice little brewpub going, nice people, rustic decor, big copper vessels, in the otherwise soul-less commuter suburb of leidsche rijn, but on a (rare) sunny day their beer garden, next to an apple orchard, is a great place to enjoy some of their tasty and well made low abv beers. or the high abv ones.
dinnerstick

Unread postby luk-cha » Wed May 21, 2014 3:23 pm

this is where a "LIKE" function would come in
luk-cha

Unread postby dinnerstick » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:48 pm

This beer is going on tap this saturday 6 september at Kafe Belgie in Utrecht. We delayed the release until the end of summer, but really with the august we've had here it could have gone on tap as a nice winter beer a month ago.
There's a little release 'party' in the afternoon. All are welcome!! It's called Smokey the Barracuda (get it?), and it's pretty tasty. But as a big porter it's not for beer wimps. It's 8.4 abv but with the sugar addition it's medium bodied, nice dry finish, so a bit dangerously drinkable. we used carafa special (iii), so it's not arse-over-tits roasty, but still pretty roasty, and the smoke level is right where i wanted it, sort of clothes-after-campfire smell. the kind of campfire that wherever you stand the smoke goes right in your face. Come try it if you can!

smoke.jpg
dinnerstick

Unread postby McMullan » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:01 pm

That sounds so wonderful :cheers: Commercial breweries have so much to learn from dedicated home brewers and nano brewers. Scaling up is a huge problem :beer:
McMullan

Unread postby BrauTim » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:23 pm

Wow, do you have the recipe? Porters are my speciality since I won 1st prize in a local homebrew competition, I'm about to brew my second Porter this weekend, so that was beginners luck hahaha :D

Wish I was on the continent now, sampling, good luck :drink:
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby dinnerstick » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:43 pm

pale malt 43%
beech smoked rauchmalt 20-30% (depending on the malt, for weyermann's which is not that smoky go 30%. for less, increase the pale % to compensate this batch used a smokier maltster from bamberg the name of which escapes me at the moment so we used ~25%)
70 ebc crystal 9%
munich 6%
chocolate (900ebc) 5%
turbinado sugar 4%
carafa special III 4%
=101%, deal with it!
EKG, 23 IBU, 60 min
willamette, 8 IBU, 30 min
EKG + willamette, 0.75ish g/L each, @ flameout
(this is on a 1200L system with a long whirlpool time so maybe move the flameout back to 10 min?)
dinnerstick

Unread postby bierfest » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:07 pm

pale malt 43%
beech smoked rauchmalt 20-30% (depending on the malt, for weyermann's which is not that smoky go 30%. for less, increase the pale % to compensate this batch used a smokier maltster from bamberg the name of which escapes me at the moment so we used ~25%)
70 ebc crystal 9%
munich 6%
chocolate (900ebc) 5%
turbinado sugar 4%
carafa special III 4%
=101%, deal with it!
EKG, 23 IBU, 60 min
willamette, 8 IBU, 30 min
EKG + willamette, 0.75ish g/L each, @ flameout
(this is on a 1200L system with a long whirlpool time so maybe move the flameout back to 10 min?)

@Dinnerstick - sounds tasty.. might give it a go on the BM.. What yeast did you use? Also what fermentation schedule and or aging do you recommend?
bierfest

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:51 am

whoops, yeah forgot the yeast. i mean i forgot to mention which one, not that i forgot to add it. it's california ale yeast (us-05/safeale-05/wy1056/wlp001/sierra nevada/call it what you will). in the first trials i fermented at 20, and in later batches lowered to 18 to see if it made any difference. in such a strong flavored brew i didn't notice much (any) difference. as long as you get the yeast to finish strong you're good, this beer needs to have a dry finish, and the yeast should more or less do its thing and get out of the way- that's what us-05 does best. in the brewery we fermented at 20, but there is a train of thought that says the higher pressures in large cylindroconical fermenters suppresses ester formation, so 20 in a 1000L vessel might correspond to 18 in a homebrew-sized fermenter? bit of a guess. for aging, i was surprised that it was quite drinkable young, i am very happy with it 6 weeks after pitching yeast, but of course a beer like this will improve over a few months. i have a few bottles of the various trials and early versions still, i opened a 2 year old 6% abv smoked porter last week and it was really pleasant. as expected the smoke mellows a bit, the roast mellows a bit, the bitterness ditto, yet it somehow seems more complex; the mysterious magic of the cellar.
if you brew it please let me know how it comes out!
dinnerstick

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:02 am

final bits:
in the big brewery the mash was:
55, 62, 72, 78
sacc rests were around an hour each but the precision is quite different on a big system compared to the BM. the 78 step was so long, as first you hit mashout temp, then circulate to set the grain, then sloooooowly lauter, halfway through reverse circulate to unclog a bit, reset the grain, lauter, sparge, set the bed, lauter, reverse, set, lauter,,,,,,, (that's why i'm not afraid to do long mashout steps on overnight mashes anymore)

on the BM i mash in @ 55 and do a short protein rest, single sacc @ 66, mashout @ 78

OG: 1.078
FG 1.014
abv 8.4%
dinnerstick

Unread postby niels » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:07 am

Utrecht... So close, but yet so far away... I would kindly donate my liver for some extra free time!

Are you bottling the beer too? If so, I might be able to get my hands on a bottle without traveling half a day...

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Next

Return to Show-off