Perth WA Brewery

This is the place to brag about your brewhouse set-up. Pictures are greatly appreciated!

Perth WA Brewery

Unread postby Wollenbizzle » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:03 am

Here's a couple of shots of my Brewery in Perth WA Australia. Brewsculpture courtesy of bunnings (Hardware store if you're not from Oz), the rest put together with neighbours fridges/freezers and the LHBS. The fridge on left is the ferment fridge with the little Keg on top, my pressurised blow off (I prefer to brew under pressure). The shorter wider 23L SS keg on the kegerator is my primary fermenter (keeps everything in SS and can rack and keg using CO2). The White kettle with the Ball Valve/disconnect is for my sparge which I use through the sparge arm to the left of the BM. The Keg lid with the Oxygen stone is for Aerating wort while keeping the fermenter sealed (no nasty wild yeasts which I'm sure are all over my garage).

The rest is pretty self explanatory, the plate chiller is for wort cooling, the immersion chiller goes in an ice bath in line with the garden hose as the ground water in Perth is like 30C most of the year.

The coolers on the right are my old All Grain setup before I wised up the the BM. As a side note I'm moving soon and will need to sell everything, let me know if anyone's interested in the BM or anything else (Don't worry will rebuying another BM after move, hopefully 200L?)

Cheers
Attachments
IMG_4006-2.jpg
IMG_4003-2.jpg
IMG_4001-2.jpg
IMG_4000-2.jpg
IMG_3999-2.jpg
Wollenbizzle

Re: Perth WA Brewery

Unread postby cpa4ny » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:26 am

Very nice set-up - beautiful wood grain on that keezer.

Is it mahogany?

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Wollenbizzle » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:37 am

Thanks,

It's a pine collar but I used a Mahogany stain and it came up really nice.
Wollenbizzle

Unread postby niels » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:02 am

Very cool setup! I love the way how everything fits on a limited surface and yet is fully available all the time. It gives me some ideas for my man cave project!

I really like the wood and the handles on your kegerator. Great job!

It didn't occur to me until I looked at the pictures ones more, but I'm awed by your whiteboard! This is one cool way of keeping track of your taps and fermentation chamber. I currently use a recuperated built-in fridge, so my front panel is not whiteboard-able :p I'm looking at to replace it with a taller one so I keep the whiteboard function as a requirement in mind!

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Wollenbizzle » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:19 am

The whiteboard marker on the fridge is so handy, I used to always forget pre boil OG, post boil OG, plus times, hop alterations, etc... Having the front of the fridge is a lifesaver. The BM is normally one shelf down which allows for the sparge to gravity feed through grain bed into the BM as the Boil temp ramps up. I can also hang the malt pipe from top rack above the BM to make sure every last drop of wort drips out (my efficiency jumped up after doing this). The other nice part of having the shelves Stainless grating is after cleaning you can hang all your hoses and turn your BM upside down to dry without it getting nastys in it.

I'll be rebuilding this same brewery on a larger scale with some minor alterations in about 3 months in another country. Definitely gonna miss this one though, it was my first full All Grain BM setup, plenty of tasty suds came out of it.
Wollenbizzle

Unread postby Cervantes » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:19 pm

Very flash,

I'm just experimenting with my first pressurised fermentation at the moment.

Primary was in a fermentation bucket, but secondary is being done in the keg with a spunding valve, and I'm hoping that it will self carbonate.

Do you re-keg after fermentation of serve directly from the fermentation keg?

Are you leaving Perth?

Cheers
Andy
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Wollenbizzle » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:03 pm

I ferment under pressure from day 1. My primary has a blow off tube which hooks up to the gas in and goes to the liquid out on the 9L keg which i fill with starsan until the dip tube is submerged. The gas in on the 9L has the spending valve on it with a pressure meter (you can see it on top of my ferment fridge). I keep the first 48 hours under 1 PSI then ramp the pressure up as the ferment continues, by day 7 I'm usually at about 7 or 8 PSI. I then rack to my secondary keg. Like my main fermenter, the dip tube is bent up slightly off the bottom of the keg so that after cold crashing my secondary I leave all yeast, grub, dry hop behind.

The big advantage is after aeration, your beer never touches oxygen or sees light as I push it all with CO2 from primary to secondary to keg. It's also almost ready to drink straight out of primary, and your carbonation is very fine bubbles at the end, similar to bottle conditions. I rarely have to top up CO2 in the keg because I cap off my secondary which carbonates the beer.

It also keeps your esters down which gives you an extremely clean ferment which allows you to ferment a bit warmer. You gotta be careful to keep pressure down in beers where high ester level is desirable i.e. belgians etc.

It's definitely worth doing if you've developed brewing OCD like me.

Good luck man
Wollenbizzle

Unread postby Wollenbizzle » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:06 pm

Yes,

Regretfully I am leaving Perth, Im gonna miss my Little creatures, Cheeky Monkey, Cowaramup Brewery, Feral etc....
Wollenbizzle

Unread postby Cervantes » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:40 pm

Wollenbizzle wrote:I ferment under pressure from day 1. My primary has a blow off tube which hooks up to the gas in and goes to the liquid out on the 9L keg which i fill with starsan until the dip tube is submerged. The gas in on the 9L has the spending valve on it with a pressure meter (you can see it on top of my ferment fridge). I keep the first 48 hours under 1 PSI then ramp the pressure up as the ferment continues, by day 7 I'm usually at about 7 or 8 PSI. I then rack to my secondary keg. Like my main fermenter, the dip tube is bent up slightly off the bottom of the keg so that after cold crashing my secondary I leave all yeast, grub, dry hop behind.

The big advantage is after aeration, your beer never touches oxygen or sees light as I push it all with CO2 from primary to secondary to keg. It's also almost ready to drink straight out of primary, and your carbonation is very fine bubbles at the end, similar to bottle conditions. I rarely have to top up CO2 in the keg because I cap off my secondary which carbonates the beer.

It also keeps your esters down which gives you an extremely clean ferment which allows you to ferment a bit warmer. You gotta be careful to keep pressure down in beers where high ester level is desirable i.e. belgians etc.

It's definitely worth doing if you've developed brewing OCD like me.

Good luck man

This sounds like a cool set up. Thanks for the detailed description.

It's definitely something that I will be playing with a bit more.

I think that I have the same spunding valve set up with gauge that I'm currently using on my secondary. Primarily for self carbonation.

Spunding.JPG
Spunding set up for secondary

Cheers
Andy
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Wollenbizzle » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:47 pm

Looks good,

Definitely the same spunding valve and gauge, you'll notice the head will be a lot tighter on that brew as well as the carbonation being crazy fine. It's a slippery slope from here... one day a spending valve on your secondary... the next, pressurizable fermenter and complete closed circuit brewery. The only thing I'd be weary of is having the spending valve directly on your beer keg, if you have a free keg and a liquid and gas disconnect, I'd run a pressurised blow off on the second keg, just one less chance of infection.

Whats in the jug?
Wollenbizzle

Unread postby Cervantes » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:41 am

I think I need a fancy little 9 litre pressurised overflow keg. If only I could find a good second hand one for sale :D

The jug is a pilot batch of Apple & Pear Cider that I'm experimenting with.

2.4 litres of Woolworth Apple & Pear Juice, 500 ml water, 500 grams sugar, a pinch of yeast nutrient and some yeast that needed using up. Once it's done fermenting and been filtered I'll add cordial in an attempt to make a fancy cider for the wife.

If it turns out not so fancy then it will be Scrumpy for me :lol:

Cheers
Andy
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:43 am

getting waaaay off topic but... why add water to your apple/pear juice? i make a few ciders each autumn, and if anything they need more body, water will make them even more thin! especially pear juice (eating pears, not perry pears), which being not as acidic as apple tends to ferment out to taste like rusty water. sorry not meant to sound preachy just curious. i did make a nice 50/50 apple/pear cider 2 years back, i blend sweet and sharp eating apples (cox orange pippin and ~10% granny smith for example), some crabapples for tannin, and the pears, aged 1 year, carbomated. comes out sharp and dry, not everyone's cup of tea, but i like it, just finished the last bottle. i sometimes supplement the mix with diksap, not to be confused with dick sap, it's apple concentrate, like uk squash. boosts the sugar and adds in a bit more apple flavor.

and tiny word of warning for pressurized fermenters, careful with the pressure when the yeast are active, high pressure puts them to sleep. i determined this empirically when my spunding valve didn't behave as i thought on its first use, i was trying to slowly ramp up from 1psi to carbonate as fermentation finished, the result was a very worty dubbel after the yeast packed up. i thought i knew what i was doing, but i didn't. great technique when done right. i still served that beer at a festival (i'm still ashamed of that) and quite a few people said it was great. they were delusional, rat arsed, or both.
dinnerstick

Unread postby Cervantes » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:03 pm

Dinnerstick,

Thanks for the advice.

To answer your questions...........

dinnerstick wrote:getting waaaay off topic but... why add water to your apple/pear juice?

A combination of 80% not knowing what I'm doing and 20% needing to dissolve the table sugar in something.

dinnerstick wrote:and tiny word of warning for pressurized fermenters, careful with the pressure when the yeast are active, high pressure puts them to sleep.

Advice heeded. Thanks for that. I'm not sure how this will work. Primary was complete and the gravity was down to 1.018 when I racked into the keg and fitted the spunding valve.

I work fly in fly out so can't monitor the pressure and don't know how well the relief valve works. The pressure gauge goes up to 15 psi, so I just wound the valve up tight and then backed it off a quarter turn. Then I had to abandon my brew and return to work for three weeks.

I'm not even sure what pressure I should have been aiming for, so this is all very much "suck it and see what happens" territory for me. :roll:

Fingers crossed it will turn out okay. If not, I've learned yet another lesson the hard way. :?

Cheers
Andy
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Wollenbizzle » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:11 am

Like dinnerstick was saying you need to be careful, not so much in secondary, more so in primary. I leave the valve totally open for the first 24 hours of ferment cause the pressure can really stunt the yeast growth stage. This is a big problem with lagers etc where enough yeast can be tough as is without pressure on the cell growth. End of day one I go to 1 psi then you can start to ramp. 15 to 20 psi is perfect for secondary/conditioning but you'll find that a week of conditioning after a pressure ferment is like 3 weeks with a normal one. This is great for drinking fresh but conditioned beer, especially if you like big fresh hop aroma. Ps It's looking more and more likely you could end up up wih a fancy blow off keg soon. Let me know how your passion pop turns out...hahahaha.

Drew
Wollenbizzle

Unread postby Cervantes » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:41 am

Drew,

Thanks for the advice.

As a point of interest what sort of pressure do you manage to achieve with the spunding valve set up? My gauge tops out at 15 psi, but not sure if that reflects the maximum set pressure of the valve or not. I suppose that I should have tested it really, but was short on time.

Please keep me posted regarding the keg.

Cheers
Andy
Andy
Cervantes

Next

Return to Show-off