Hop Garden

This is the place to brag about your brewhouse set-up. Pictures are greatly appreciated!

Hop Garden

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:55 am

well... garden maybe not. one first-year cascade plant growing up the wall behind a 'unique' and hopefully temporary garden feature of a sideways staircase to nowhere.... once the bine reaches the top of the wall i'll run some ropes up a few floors to a high balcony and it can go nuts.
Attachments
WP_20140414_003.jpg
WP_20140414_002.jpg
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Re: Hop Garden

Unread postby cpa4ny » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:01 am

Very nice!

How many years would it take to get the first crop?

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:15 pm

from all i've read, small crop in the first year, better one in second, crazy in 3rd
dinnerstick

Unread postby niels » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:31 am

Nice! I can't wait to see phase two (the ropes) :)

Any particular reason that you've chosen Cascade hops? Is it simply because of the flavour or did you decide on it because of it growing capabilities in your region?

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:27 pm

flavor/aroma impact. i'll happily buy my bittering and subtle aroma hops, i want the homegrown stuff for a big new world hop punch! anyways i won't know the alpha acid percentage so will only use for late/dry hop. the varieties of rhizomes readily available for homegrowers in europe are limited to a few german czech and english varieties, and cascade.
dinnerstick

Unread postby hughjampton » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:13 pm

I've got a first year Nugget which is growing very well. It has two shoots about 4.5 Meters high with lots of healthy side shoots. I chose Nugget as I've got a very heavy clay soil and I was told it suited that variety. That certainly appears to be correct. Nugget was probably not the best choice as it's a high alpha hop but I was keen to see if I could grow any variety of hop. The problem with growing a high alpha variety is that it's impossible to calculate the alpha content until you brew your first batch. I understand that nugget is a fairly stable variety so I'll probably guess about 13%

Next year I shall plant a couple of Aroma Varieties, probably Pilgrim and Mathon and see how they go. I bought my Nugget from Essentially Hops and I'd certainly recommend them.

http://www.essentiallyhops.co.uk/

They have a good selection of English hops with some European and American varieties. None will be available until later in the year. I planted my nugget with the shoots 4 inches below the soil and they were poking out within a week which shows that it was a good healthy plant.
When the chill sciroco blows, and winter tells a heavy tale
When pies, and daws, and rooks and crows do sit and curse the frost and snows
Then give me ale.
hughjampton

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:11 am

WP_20140703_001.jpg
I got my rhizome from the same place hughjampton mentions, it came quickly and in very good condition so i can recommend them for those of us on the continent. i got it in november, kept it outside in a pot of soil through the (very mild) winter, and got it in the ground just as the shoots were peeking through, last february. compare to the earlier pics in the post! it was a bit slow getting established and up the wall where it only gets a few hours direct sun, but above the wall it's fully open to the south and gets sun all day (providing the dutch fog lifts). now it's on its final climb to my roof terrace railing, just visible at the top of the pic; in other words it's 3 stories high, and starting to push out lovely little hop flowers.
(the scaffold is temporary! and the builders are under threat of castration if they damage my hop)
dinnerstick

Unread postby royco » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:14 am

Impressive dinnerstick. When do you brew your first Hopgaarden Wit?
royco

Return to Show-off