Motorized Schmidling malt mill

This is the place to brag about your brewhouse set-up. Pictures are greatly appreciated!

Motorized Schmidling malt mill

Unread postby squadricus » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:40 pm

mill.JPG

Freshened up my 20 year old mill setup with some new paint.
We are the 801, we are the central shaft
squadricus

Model: 50 litres

Re: Motorized Schmidling malt mill

Unread postby OllieBBommel » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:14 pm

cool
OllieBBommel

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby mashy » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:11 pm

Very nice. I have always fancied a mill, but I cannot knock the crushed malt I am supplied.
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby royco » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:09 am

This is an afterthought re a minor design flaw on the Schmidling mill:
(very neat renovation job BTW squadricus)
I have a newish Schmidling and it is adjustable on one end only. It is probably well-nigh impossible to have adjustment on a 2-roller mill where both are driven?
I now crush on normal setting and if a finer crush is needed the second pass is done by slowly pouring the milled grain down only the finer half of the mill. Tedious.
Do you have the same issue? One could probably split the hopper in two.
royco

Unread postby squadricus » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:57 pm

I haven't really paid that much attention to the issue you raise, just sort of accepted the Schmidling for what it is. When I found a second Schmidling at a flea market for $15, I contacted the company to see if it could be mounted above the first for a 4 roll mill.

me: I was also wondering about stacking it atop the mill I have been using
for a 4-roll version. Any thoughts?

Jack: I can't think of any reason to do it and sounds like a monumental project.

The tapered nip between the rolls seems like a good reason to do it, but staggering the drive ends of the two units may not be monumental, but makes my head start to hurt trying to figure out how to drive both.

I picked up a third Schmidling from a fellow homebrewer who was selling off his gear, mostly for the direct drive motor he used in his setup. There are 3 configurations: 1) geared, to drive both rolls, 2) with the extended shafts for driving both rolls with gears, but actually driving the slave roll with an o-ring around the master roll, 3) shorter shafts, without the o-ring (could have broken and fallen off at some point).

Dumb idea: if you arranged the mill with it inclined at an angle from the adjusting end to the fixed end, and fed slow enough, you'd get more of the grain through the narrower part of the nip in a single pass.

I wonder if a, say, delrin block could be set on the wide end of the nip to divert the grain toward the narrow end.

I haven't broken out the feeler gauges, but I guess with the trapezoidal nip, you'd have to specify where you measured the gap.
We are the 801, we are the central shaft
squadricus

Return to Show-off