Fermentation Fridge.

This is the place to brag about your brewhouse set-up. Pictures are greatly appreciated!

Fermentation Fridge.

Unread postby Icefever » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:37 am

Who use a fermentation fridge?? I've had one for around 3 years or more....I put everything that I make through it...dial in the temp and away it goes, their an handy bit of kit for the home brewer.
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
Icefever

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: Fermentation Fridge.

Unread postby Tipsy » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:23 am

Chest freezer here. Run with a STC controller and a heat pad.
Tipsy

Unread postby Icefever » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:39 am

I use an ATC controller along with a oil filled tube heater...work a treat.

Icefever

Unread postby rocketman » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:06 am

I use the STC-1000 flashed with matsstaff's excellent firmware:
https://github.com/matsstaff/stc1000p

I have used brewpi but like the stc1000p better as its more self contained. Recently I have
added a simple 433Mhz TX module so I can use my home automation system to read the temperature
and make nice graphs (Domoticz)
rocketman

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby judgecc » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:16 am

rocketman wrote:I use the STC-1000 flashed with matsstaff's excellent firmware:
https://github.com/matsstaff/stc1000p

I have used brewpi but like the stc1000p better as its more self contained. Recently I have
added a simple 433Mhz TX module so I can use my home automation system to read the temperature
and make nice graphs (Domoticz)

+1.
I got myself 3 stcs. 2 with Mats firmware. Its also named the black box in the US. Same firmware and plug n play version. Brulosophy.com has an review of it.
Mats is also named Alfaomega in different US based forums..
I use it for 2 ferm chambers. Both are refrigerators and as heater, a tube like post above..
judgecc

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:35 am

due to space limitations i don't have a dedicated fridge. i use either: a peltier-based cooler on a rabbit controller for normal cool (ale) temps, fermenting in a cool basement with a heat belt on a stc-1000 controller for slightly warmer temps (ie saison/brett primary), or fermenting in my kegerator on stc-1000+heat belt for cold ferments (lagers or cold ales; 9-15c). I try to limit the last option to just before i go away on holiday!
dinnerstick

Unread postby red ice » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:43 am

I have a Stc1000 controlled keg fridge which I love. The thermostat only took it to 40f as I got it on gumtree so I ripped it out and setup the stc. Now I can easy get 32f/0c. My intention was to use it for fermentation but I went and bought a ss brew tech chronical that doesn't fit.

I then bought their FTSs control system which I haven't used yet as the temperatures in Scotland in summer cause my house to be a constant 70f. Once the temp drops I'll move my fermenter in the garage and use the system in heating config for both ales and lagers as the outside temperatures drop so the brew will require a heat input rather than messing with coolers full of ice.

Will report back my experience but I like ss stuff a lot so far.
red ice

Location: Scotland. I can almost see the Caledonian Brewery from my doorstep

Unread postby mashy » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:55 pm

I use my airing cupboard - but - wait for it ..... I have been a bit nerdy and calibrated it!
mashy

Unread postby Omphteliba » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:58 pm

I have a small fridge (my 30L fermenter fits exactly into it) with a BrewPi Spark, a RaspberryPi 2 and a Heatingcable. I really love it! After the Braumeister it is my second favourit brewing tool :drink:
"Brew! There is never enough beer in the world."
- Burghard Meyer on Beersmith Podcast #66
Omphteliba

Unread postby mashy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:33 pm

hmm might have to build one of these - save me lugging stuff in/out of house.

What have you got the PI doing and how does it compare to using an arduino......www.arduino.cc/
Last edited by mashy on Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
mashy

Unread postby Aleman » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:57 pm

mashy wrote:What have you got the PI doing and how doe sit compare to using an arduino......www.arduino.cc/

My Pi Does This

With the BrewPi you have Pi doing all the web front end and the logging , but the actual control is done with an Arduino . . . if the Pi goes T*ts Up the arduino carries on, as they tend to be bomb proof.
Aleman

Unread postby stevodevo » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:04 am

Icefever wrote:I use an ATC controller along with a oil filled tube heater...work a treat.

Does anyone know where I might buy one of those heaters in Australia? I've had a bit of a Google around and don't get many good search results. Are they expensive? I've been trying to get my fridge set up for winter brewing. I tried a couple of different heat source options, but being a little bar fridge I'm not comfortable with that amount of heat being so close to the plastic side walls of the fridge. Those oil tube heaters look like they would be a lower temperature and a perfect gentle heat source for a small enclosure. I assume they work along the same lines as a standard room oil heater right?

It's ironic that I had been waiting for the summer heat to die down so it wasn't so hard for me to cool my wort after the boil, but it turns out that even in our hot climate, night time temps get too cold to sustain a nice even 18-20C fermentation. I don't really like lagers, so I've had to take a break :-(
stevodevo

Unread postby Icefever » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:56 am

The tube heaters can be used in lots of ways where background heat is needed..can you find anything like This in Aus ?? this is a good size at 500 w, I don't know if Amazon ship to Aus.
These Guys will ship....but at what cost?
Try greenhouse accessories.....just had a thought what about an heat pad?? stand the FV on it or fix to the fridge wall....it's only a small amount of heat that's needed to keep the correct temp inside a small area. :wink:

Edit...
I've just watched a guy on you tube build a FV fridge and he used a light bulb as the heating element....got me thinking that may be better as it's a lower heat sauce...temp would rise slower for the controller..
Last edited by Icefever on Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Icefever

Unread postby Cervantes » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:38 am

I use a fermentation fridge and one of Ohmbrew's Fermostats.

http://www.ohmbrewautomations.com/

I work away for four weeks at a time and this lets me program a fermentation profile for while I'm away, so that can return to fermented and cold crashed beer.

All that I need to do when I get home is gelatine and keg.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby royco » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:55 pm

I use 300watt cupboard warmers available from most domestic electric appliance stores. Works perfectly and won't break the bank.
royco

Model: 50 litres

Next

Return to Show-off