Mod for 5 gallon high gravity batches on a 50L BM

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

Mod for 5 gallon high gravity batches on a 50L BM

Unread postby TequilaTom » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:15 am

Ok, so I said I would post a mod of how to do a high gravity brew on a 50L BM in reference to a post I put up in the recipe section. The idea was originally posted on the Homebrewtalk forum by Batfink in the Equipment/Sanitation - Speidel Braumeister thread (specifically starting with post #1631 page 164).
Just want to give credit where it's due!

You first have to drill 10 evenly spaced pilot holes 5" below the top of the malt pipe. I used a Greenlee 1/2" conduit punch to punch out 1/2" holes. I suppose you could use a step drill as well, but I used a punch.
image.jpg
Greenlee 1/2" conduit punch
image.jpg (10.6 KiB) Viewed 1712 times

image.jpg

You then have to make a spacer so the top filter plate does not rise above the holes. I used 1/2" stainless steel pipe with an inside hole large enough to fit over the center bolt. It is about 4 3/4" long. Bought a 2 ft piece on Amazon.

image.jpg

image.jpg

That's it. Has worked for me for at least 10 brews. I suppose if I ever want to brew more than 5 gallons, I will just plug the holes with silicone stoppers. But 5 gallons has always been enough for me so far.
TequilaTom

Model: 50 litres

Re: Mod for 5 gallon high gravity batches on a 50L BM

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:58 am

Great modification.

I did see quite some time ago that someone had punched holes in their maltpipe and then had a large silicon rubber band that he could put around the outside of the malt pipe to block the hole so that the bigger batch could be done.
I always wondered if the pressure in the maltpipe from the pump would push the band away from the holes and cause a by pass situation
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby BrauTim » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:56 am

Brilliant ! Could you provide a quick summary of what this allows you to do? Volume of grain, volume of liquor, volume of batch, SG range?

:beer:
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby kahobro » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:18 pm

Dicko wrote:Great modification.

I did see quite some time ago that someone had punched holes in their maltpipe and then had a large silicon rubber band that he could put around the outside of the malt pipe to block the hole so that the bigger batch could be done.
I always wondered if the pressure in the maltpipe from the pump would push the band away from the holes and cause a by pass situation

You can see it here:
http://www.hobbybrouwen.nl/forum/index. ... #msg364672

The silicone band is a oven thing to bake pies (don't know the name in english) with the bottom cut out.
This is on a 20l bm.
The guy who did it reported no problems when using the band.

Hans
kahobro

Unread postby TequilaTom » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:23 pm

BrauTim,

The batches I've brewed so far range in OG (post boil) from 1.070 - 1.090. All batches averaged around 9-10 US gallons of water. Total grain weight ranged from 15 to 17 US pounds. I should note that I use a 90 minute boil on all batches. So I end up with about 1.75 gallons boil off.

I will be brewing a batch shortly that only uses 8.5 US pounds of grain and 8 US gallons of water. Not sure if this is going to work, as the water level may go below the top of the heating coil before it reaches the holes. I may have to opt for a longer boil if I have to add more water to cover the heating coil. Will post my results after the brew (scheduled for March 7th).
TequilaTom

Unread postby BrauTim » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:55 pm

TequilaTom wrote:BrauTim,

The batches I've brewed so far range in OG (post boil) from 1.070 - 1.090. All batches averaged around 9-10 US gallons of water. Total grain weight ranged from 15 to 17 US pounds. I should note that I use a 90 minute boil on all batches. So I end up with about 1.75 gallons boil off.

I will be brewing a batch shortly that only uses 8.5 US pounds of grain and 8 US gallons of water. Not sure if this is going to work, as the water level may go below the top of the heating coil before it reaches the holes. I may have to opt for a longer boil if I have to add more water to cover the heating coil. Will post my results after the brew (scheduled for March 7th).

Great thanks, for the heating coil, you could always try disconnecting the outer element during the mash and then reconnect for the boil.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby TequilaTom » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:08 pm

BrauTim wrote:
Great thanks, for the heating coil, you could always try disconnecting the outer element during the mash and then reconnect for the boil.

That option never occured to me. Thanks for the tip!
TequilaTom

Unread postby desupero » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:45 am

Hello. Are the holes to let fluid out while the spacer prevents the filter plate from rising too far/holding it at the right height? Or for nuts and bolts to prevent the filter plate from rising above the holes without having to have a full 50l grain batch? Sorry but i'm trying to get my head around this as i am new to the BM and have a 50l version with 20l insert but would like to brew bigger beers. Thanks for the post...
Nothing is too difficult for the man that does not have to do it himself...
desupero

Unread postby TequilaTom » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:53 pm

desupero wrote:Hello. Are the holes to let fluid out while the spacer prevents the filter plate from rising too far/holding it at the right height? Or for nuts and bolts to prevent the filter plate from rising above the holes without having to have a full 50l grain batch? Sorry but i'm trying to get my head around this as i am new to the BM and have a 50l version with 20l insert but would like to brew bigger beers. Thanks for the post...

You are correct in that the holes are for letting the wort out (otherwise the water level would go below the outer heating element) and the spacer is to keep the filter plate from rising above the holes.
TequilaTom

Unread postby desupero » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:51 pm

Thanks Tequila Tom...
Nothing is too difficult for the man that does not have to do it himself...
desupero

Unread postby bruulog » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:31 pm

C'mon TequilaTom, most of us moved to metric system long-long time ago... around 1800... almost 200 years ago. :D
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog

Unread postby TequilaTom » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:23 pm

bruulog wrote:C'mon TequilaTom, most of us moved to metric system long-long time ago... around 1800... almost 200 years ago. :D

Funny you brought that up. I use metrics at work (I'm a jeweler), but still not able to give up the old imperial system! Old habits really are hard to break! I am getting better at using Celcius instead of Fahrenheit since I got my Braumeister though!!! :lol:
TequilaTom

Unread postby BrauOpa » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:23 pm

Hi, we just got an older model BM 50L.
I was hoping to brew 5g big beers. Can I use water filled canning jars to fill the mash pipe to a point that we can do this without using the short mash pipe? And adjust the amount of canning jars to the compensate for grain?
Thanks.
BrauOpa

Unread postby mashy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:05 am

Welcome aboard.

I know it happens accidentally sometimes, but please don't cut and paste the same the a question into many threads.

The answer is yes, but this is much better. Your also get some ideas about volumes etc here.
mashy

Unread postby BrauOpa » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:42 pm

Thanks for having me here @Mashy

Sorry about the double post.
BrauOpa

Return to Modifications