stainless hood

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

stainless hood

Unread postby paulg » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:39 pm

I brewed yesterday for the first time with my stainless hood and insulation jacket.
the temperature in my store room was about 3 degree c and for the first time my boil was really vigorous,previously the boil was a gentle thing.
Now my question is I live at 650 meters above sea level so boiling point is 97.8 c .The temperature on the display will reach 99c but no higher even with the setting at 102c,if I set it at 99c the heater will cut out for a short time before starting to heat again.
Do I set my boil setting at 99c and let it cut out or 100c which gives the heater on all the time?
Incidentely my brew yesterday gave the best hot break and clearest wort into the fermenter of all my BM brews so far (was this just a co incidence, I think not)
paulg

Model: 50 litres

Re: stainless hood

Unread postby Lindh » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:09 pm

I use the hood and jacket, set it to 102 and boil like there's no tomorrrow. A lot of proteins on the side of the bm and wort is really clear and that's what the pro brewerys look for. Keep it boiling hard and don't worry about low boil off with hood, I couldn't dedect any dms with a pretty low boil off and lots of pilsnermalt. Any dms:ers with the hood on the forum???
Lindh

Unread postby Nesto » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:25 pm

Lindh wrote:I use the hood and jacket, set it to 102 and boil like there's no tomorrrow. A lot of proteins on the side of the bm and wort is really clear and that's what the pro brewerys look for. Keep it boiling hard and don't worry about low boil off with hood, I couldn't dedect any dms with a pretty low boil off and lots of pilsnermalt. Any dms:ers with the hood on the forum???

+1... no DMS ever here - hood and jacket boil. 16 batches.

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:58 pm

+2

Great rolling boil with both,
Low boil-off (2.1L/hour), Good hot break
:cheers:
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby hughjampton » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:25 pm

+3 ..... Mine heats up much quicker and I get a huge rolling boil with the hood and jacket. I've certainly never had a problem with DMS.

I keep forgetting to put the jacket on until I'm part way through the boil.

The first time I used the hood I burned three fingers trying to lift it off to look at the hot break. I won't do that again.
When the chill sciroco blows, and winter tells a heavy tale
When pies, and daws, and rooks and crows do sit and curse the frost and snows
Then give me ale.
hughjampton

Unread postby Lindh » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:36 am

Do you use any pipes on the hood to lead out condensation and how do you do with the foam that rises out through the hole in the hood?
Lindh

stainless hood

Unread postby Andy_Chil » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:48 am

I've just started boiling with the lid partially on with an open gap of 2-3 inches. Considerably better boil and has never come close to boil over. I bring to the boil with the lid off and put it on after the boiling hop addition. No condensation dripping either.
Andy_Chil

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:54 am

Andy_Chil wrote:I've just started boiling with the lid partially on with an open gap of 2-3 inches. Considerably better boil and has never come close to boil over. I bring to the boil with the lid off and put it on after the boiling hop addition. No condensation dripping either.

i do something like this, out of necessity due to my setup. it started as a temporary grab-the-first-thing-at-hand fix but after a few months and maybe 10-12 brews like this i haven't found good reason to change it. i have a kitchen ventilator fan (standard above-stovetop affair) that i run above the BM during the boil, but it isn't deep enough to cover the whole area above the BM, some steam can escape around the front of it, so i place the lid on skewed at a funny angle to direct the steam inwards, towards the wall and the fan. it sounds (and looks) really amateurish i know! but it actually (surprisingly) works extremely well for me. i heat to near-boil with the lid on, then put it in the skewed position so there's maybe a 10 cm gap. since it's at an angle the hot air and steam is all directed upwards and towards the gap where the very strong ventilator fan sucks it out at quite a clip (evaporation rate went up ~50%). some condensation drips down and off the side. not much. i just deal with that. the boil is good, the DMS/SMM is gone, or at least i have never had a complaint about DMS, and the room stays dry, the fan gets all of the moisture.
i originally thought i would procure/fabricate some sort of off-center domed lid or something. now i think i'll just keep doing the lid trick until i see reason to change it.
dinnerstick

Unread postby paulg » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:19 pm

thanks guys
I have a 6" centrifugal fan in the wall just to the left of my BM and want to direct the steam out of this.
Yesterday for my brew day I used a pvc piece of drain pipe that finished just next to the hood outlet so that if any condensation dripped it would land on the outside of the lid and not fall inside.This worked reasonably well but some steam escaped.
I have thought about a stainless spiral connected to the hood and finishing near the fan so that the staem vents and is sucked by the fan but not to cause a vacuum in the BM,of course this would need a low point to catch the condensation and maybe a drip hole.
my concern would be how to properly clean the spiral as it would have many crevices for gunk to hide.
Any other suggestions for a venting scheme?
paulg

Unread postby ibbones » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:31 pm

I am going to have to stop reading this post. Now I thing I NEED to make a hood and jacket, even though my boil is OK. I guess better is....better?
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Unread postby bierfest » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:45 pm

So here it is.. something that has been bugging me for the past couple of weeks (and I havent been able to brew frequently enough to test it properly)

I ran a few tests on my BM to accurately measure the boil off rate. I have a 50l BM and I filled it with water. I ran two test with 30l and also with 55l of water. I have a jacket and a Speidel stainless hood. I set the temp to 102 and started my hour countdown once it reached boiling. Both times I got an average of about 4.8l per hour boil off.

I ran a brew day over Christmas and needed to do a long boil to bring the gravity down. Beersmith (and basic maths )told me that based on this boiling 41.3 (Estimated pre boil volume) for 172 mins (yes i know this is a very long boil but i had a weird logic behind it) should end up with about 27.5 litres of wort after the boil. My actual preboiul volume was 42l which was close enough. However when my 172 minutes of boiling was up I was left with about 32l in the kettle. The only thing i can think of is that I accidently mi read the marks on the tie rod and added 5l extra of water before my mash and i had somehow carried this mistake through. However I am finding it difficult to believe I did that. Also I kind of noticed on another boil before that the wort was not boiling off at the same rate it did when I tested only with water.

Anyhow for some reason its left me confused and I need to run another test again. Maybe Im going crazy ;-)
So my question is - has anybody else noticed the boil off rate being slightly different for wort as opposed to pure water?
bierfest

Unread postby Nesto » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:54 pm

bierfest wrote:So here it is.. something that has been bugging me for the past couple of weeks (and I havent been able to brew frequently enough to test it properly)

I ran a few tests on my BM to accurately measure the boil off rate. I have a 50l BM and I filled it with water. I ran two test with 30l and also with 55l of water. I have a jacket and a Speidel stainless hood. I set the temp to 102 and started my hour countdown once it reached boiling. Both times I got an average of about 4.8l per hour boil off.

I ran a brew day over Christmas and needed to do a long boil to bring the gravity down. Beersmith (and basic maths )told me that based on this boiling 41.3 (Estimated pre boil volume) for 172 mins (yes i know this is a very long boil but i had a weird logic behind it) should end up with about 27.5 litres of wort after the boil. My actual preboiul volume was 42l which was close enough. However when my 172 minutes of boiling was up I was left with about 32l in the kettle. The only thing i can think of is that I accidently mi read the marks on the tie rod and added 5l extra of water before my mash and i had somehow carried this mistake through. However I am finding it difficult to believe I did that. Also I kind of noticed on another boil before that the wort was not boiling off at the same rate it did when I tested only with water.

Anyhow for some reason its left me confused and I need to run another test again. Maybe Im going crazy ;-)
So my question is - has anybody else noticed the boil off rate being slightly different for wort as opposed to pure water?

Interesting... if I remember my chemistry correctly, wort should theoretically evaporate at a slower rate than water and boil at a slightly higher temp than water. But both factors should be so minimal, that you shouldn't be able to measure the difference on a homebrew scale.

Unread postby Lindh » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:43 am

Yes, boil with water will not get you an accurate boil of rate I'm afraid. Even though boiling seems simple it's a fairly complicated process and depends on many factors like air pressure (weather and height above sea level) and density. Only way to really measure is to do it live with wort. Take pre boil gravity and post boil gravity to eliminate miscalculations. Concentrations of wort density don't lie and can be cross referenced to your volume calculations.
Lindh

Unread postby bierfest » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:27 pm

I think i will be forced to do another brewday in the name of science. I originally did this to fine tune my beersmith settings.. but its now left me with more questions than before I started. The 5l difference is so great that it makes me think that I somehow stupidly must have been in such a hurry that I filled up to the wrong mark on the tie rod. However that is very unlike me to do such a thing :-)
bierfest

Unread postby McMullan » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:20 am

Lindh wrote:Do you use any pipes on the hood to lead out condensation and how do you do with the foam that rises out through the hole in the hood?

I use a 100mm flexible ventilation hose (aluminium), secured tightly with a large hose clamp, to vent out of a window. A thin layer of silicone sealant around the top of the hood’s funnel ensures a good seal. I’m guessing the hood for the 50L BM is bigger. Maybe you would need 110mm hose? I also invested in some decent oven gloves for removing the hood for hop additions, top ups and sampling, etc. I find the foam drops very quickly when the hood is removed.
McMullan

Next

Return to Modifications