Combined hop filter and dip tube

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

Re: Combined hop filter and dip tube

Unread postby fy0d0r » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:30 pm

Got my filter from Chad today.

Looks great an fits well.

Will brew something hoppy for next batch to assess design quality and report
Attachments
Filter_2.jpg
Filter_1.jpg
fy0d0r
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:10 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Model: 50 litres

Re: Combined hop filter and dip tube

Unread postby niels » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:27 pm

Looks nice! I bet he could make a nice dip tube/hop filter too...

- Niels
User avatar
niels
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1056
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:08 pm
Location: Belgium
Model: 50 litres

Re: Combined hop filter and dip tube

Unread postby bierfest » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:08 pm

Looking forward to seeing the final result of Chads work. Let me know when Bryggselv have them in stock as I will definitely order one (hopefully its not too long to wait). Do you know how long it might be?

I have had the same frustrations with hops blocking the tap. So recently I have started using my auto-syphon to remove all the wort from the unit. It works pretty well as the auto-syphon has a very simple filter on the bottom which keeps out the hop leaves. The other advantage is that it drains nearly all the wort from the unit. Previously I was losing too much wort due to all of the hops at the bottom blocking the tap. However there is still an awful lot of hop mess to clean out of my unit after. So Im hoping that the hop filter resolves that. Is the hop filter easy to clean?
bierfest
 
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:39 pm
Location: Ireland
Model: 50 litres

Re: Combined hop filter and dip tube

Unread postby fy0d0r » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:04 pm

+1 for syphoning from the top
As I brew on the floor, I use the pump and pump the wort from the top of BM.
This allows to control the trub and leave it on the bottom not tilting the BM

BTW, Before getting a Chad's filter I was using the $20 DudaDiesel mesh filter with great success (does not look as nice as Chad's but pretty functional), much more convenient than hop socks and gives better hop extraction
fy0d0r
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:10 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Model: 50 litres

Re: Combined hop filter and dip tube

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:05 am

Got my filter from Chad today. Looks great an fits well.
Will brew something hoppy for next batch to assess design quality and report



So the Norwegian importer of chads products (Bryggselv) is going to do some test with different sizes of the filter itself and the mesh that is used on it before ordering a larger batch of it. During the testing we will make some videos to share with the Norwegian homebrew-community and I´ll make sure to post it here as well so people can see how it performs. This will probably happen with a month or so..


Hi fellows,
I'm really interested in this stuff!
Any Good News to share?
Luis Coentrao
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:07 pm
Location: Porto, Portugal
Model: 50 litres (2015)

Re: Combined hop filter and dip tube

Unread postby fy0d0r » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:15 am

not much from me, waiting for the brewday
fy0d0r
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:10 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Model: 50 litres

Re: Combined hop filter and dip tube

Unread postby Rooster » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:54 am

fy0d0r wrote:Got my filter from Chad today.

Looks great an fits well.

Will brew something hoppy for next batch to assess design quality and report



What's the contact you have been using?

I have tried email on their website several times with no response.

I like the filter....
Rooster
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 11:30 pm
Model: 50 litres

Re: Combined hop filter and dip tube

Unread postby fy0d0r » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:38 pm

fy0d0r
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:10 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Model: 50 litres

Re: Combined hop filter and dip tube

Unread postby whitegoose » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:36 am

Interested to hear of other's experiences... I've got one of the older models from Chad - one that hangs over the side rather than sliding down the centre shaft... but otherwise I think they;re the same. I'm reasonably happy with mine but it definitey has a problem when using hop pellets - the mesh get completely clogged with hop-mud. The flow through the mesh is medium at best, but often by the end of a brew it is down to zero and I have to lower the cylinder lower into the wort so some of the un-clogged mesh goes underwater. Does that make sense? I've had a couple of brews where at the end of the brew I can lift the hop cylinder out of the kettle and it;s completely sealed so no wort escapes unless I manually intervene. Some brews it;s not so bad.

But I think if the mesh was any coarser then hop pellets would not be contained.

Anyway else have any thoughts?
User avatar
whitegoose
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:39 am
Location: Perth AUS
Model: 20 litres

Re: Combined hop filter and dip tube

Unread postby fy0d0r » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:41 am

What's the mesh size in your filter ?
fy0d0r
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:10 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Model: 50 litres

Re: Combined hop filter and dip tube

Unread postby BrauTim » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:58 pm

whitegoose wrote:Interested to hear of other's experiences... I've got one of the older models from Chad - one that hangs over the side rather than sliding down the centre shaft... but otherwise I think they;re the same. I'm reasonably happy with mine but it definitey has a problem when using hop pellets - the mesh get completely clogged with hop-mud. The flow through the mesh is medium at best, but often by the end of a brew it is down to zero and I have to lower the cylinder lower into the wort so some of the un-clogged mesh goes underwater. Does that make sense? I've had a couple of brews where at the end of the brew I can lift the hop cylinder out of the kettle and it;s completely sealed so no wort escapes unless I manually intervene. Some brews it;s not so bad.

But I think if the mesh was any coarser then hop pellets would not be contained.

Anyway else have any thoughts?


Have you tried using a mixture of hop cones and pellets so that the cones act as a first filter helping to capture most of the trub?
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
User avatar
BrauTim
 
Posts: 547
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:03 pm
Location: England
Model: 50 litres

Re: Combined hop filter and dip tube

Unread postby bierfest » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:18 pm

Anything ever come of the idea to have a European supplier of these?
bierfest
 
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:39 pm
Location: Ireland
Model: 50 litres

Re: Combined hop filter and dip tube

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:53 pm

Can anyone comment on the effect that using one of these hop filters has on the boil on a BM.

I saw a fleeting comment on a forum somwhere saying that it had an effect on the boil but the poster did not go into any detail. I can't seem to find that topic now. :(

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
User avatar
Dicko
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Port Lincoln South Oz
Model: 20 litres

Re: Combined hop filter and dip tube

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:54 am

Dicko wrote:Can anyone comment on the effect that using one of these hop filters has on the boil on a BM.

I saw a fleeting comment on a forum somwhere saying that it had an effect on the boil but the poster did not go into any detail. I can't seem to find that topic now. :(

:cheers:


I use Chad's hop filter. After reading Ralph's comment regarding rolling boil I took a look during my last brew (I use the dome plus jacket):
1. Excelente rolling boil outside the filter (Temp. 100 to 101C, depending where I place the thermometer)
2. No rolling boil inside the filter (Temp. 99.8 C).
3. The filter gets almost all the hop (I use pellets); however some (few) hop came out during the initial efervescence when we add them to the boil, and get stuck in the walls of the BM as usual.
4. At the end of the boil, the filter had inside 0.5 Kg of "hydrated" hops (I used 100g of hops)

Can I compare hop utilization with versus without the filter? No, at the moment. Gonna try the same recipe without the filter...

Hop(e)s it helped
:cheers:
Luis Coentrao
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:07 pm
Location: Porto, Portugal
Model: 50 litres (2015)

Re: Combined hop filter and dip tube

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:47 pm

Luis Coentrao wrote:
Dicko wrote:Can anyone comment on the effect that using one of these hop filters has on the boil on a BM.

I saw a fleeting comment on a forum somwhere saying that it had an effect on the boil but the poster did not go into any detail. I can't seem to find that topic now. :(

:cheers:


I use Chad's hop filter. After reading Ralph's comment regarding rolling boil I took a look during my last brew (I use the dome plus jacket):
1. Excelente rolling boil outside the filter (Temp. 100 to 101C, depending where I place the thermometer)
2. No rolling boil inside the filter (Temp. 99.8 C).
3. The filter gets almost all the hop (I use pellets); however some (few) hop came out during the initial efervescence when we add them to the boil, and get stuck in the walls of the BM as usual.
4. At the end of the boil, the filter had inside 0.5 Kg of "hydrated" hops (I used 100g of hops)

Can I compare hop utilization with versus without the filter? No, at the moment. Gonna try the same recipe without the filter...

Hop(e)s it helped
:cheers:


Thank you Luis.

Some great info there, and it is interesting to know that 100 gramms of pellets absorb that much water....that equates to 400mls of water that is absorbed.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
User avatar
Dicko
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Port Lincoln South Oz
Model: 20 litres

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest