Combined hop filter and dip tube

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

Re: Combined hop filter and dip tube

Unread postby paulg » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:33 pm

ian
do you find you get a lot of hop leaves in the pipework /pump even without running the pump during cooling.mine was full/blocked even though I had only used a paddle to create a whirlpool while using an immersion chiller
paulg

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Sportyone » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:08 pm

IPA wrote:The problem with the Braumeister filter is that it is cunningly designed with holes that are just the right size to allow hop seeds to pass through!! So you end up with an FV full of seeds. The only way to overcome the problem is to put it in a hop sock. I have mentioned this problem to Speidel and hopefully they will redesign it with a smaller mesh. The thinking behind this filter is that it should use the spent hops to retain the break material in the same way that a hop back does. Now the problem with Chad's hop container, as far as I can see, is that it is no more than an expensive hop sock and will not prevent break material entering the FV. Best wait and see what Speidel come up with because as I see it the third alternative ie the filter that plugs into the tap outlet will restrict the flow rate considerably due to the fact that it is surrounded by hops and break material from the word go which the Speidel isn't. Also I suggested a similar filter to Chad's to Speidel before they marketed their present model and the reason they gave for their design was that it would in fact retain the trub by using the spent hops as a second filter.

Hi IPA do you mean to put the speidel filter into a hop sock and attach as normal, or just use hop sock for hops?
I suppose you could get a piece of 200-300 mesh, cut to size and tack to speidel filter using ss wire, would that be ok.

Stephen
Sportyone

Unread postby IPA » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:08 pm

paulg wrote:ian
do you find you get a lot of hop leaves in the pipework /pump even without running the pump during cooling.mine was full/blocked even though I had only used a paddle to create a whirlpool while using an immersion chiller

I never get hop debris in the pump pipework. The pump should cut out at 86° and if you add your hops at 100° I cannot see how you will have a problem unless you are running in manual mode.
IPA

Unread postby IPA » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:11 pm

IPA wrote:Hi IPA do you mean to put the speidel filter into a hop sock and attach as normal, or just use hop sock for hops?
I suppose you could get a piece of 200-300 mesh, cut to size and tack to speidel filter using ss wire, would that be ok.

Stephen

Yes put the hop filter in a hop sock or as you suggest and tack a bit of SS mesh to it. Where can you buy this mesh ?
You could of course use copper wire to attach it.

This is how I lift the malt tube after sparging without needing assistance or another arm!!
DSC_0094_zps7a854ace.jpg
IPA

Unread postby paulg » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:39 pm

Ian
I didnt run the pump at all during boil or cooling but I did stir the wort with my mash paddle during cooling and after attempted to whirlpool. I think I dragged hops into the pump pipes then
paulg

Unread postby IPA » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:04 am

paulg wrote:Ian
I didnt run the pump at all during boil or cooling but I did stir the wort with my mash paddle during cooling and after attempted to whirlpool. I think I dragged hops into the pump pipes then

Strange that because the only difference to my procedure is that I don't stir during cooling only a vigorous whirlpool stir after it has cooled before transfer to to the FV. Try that and see if it makes a difference because it has worked for me four the last five years or so.
IPA

Unread postby Sportyone » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:48 am

IPA wrote:Yes put the hop filter in a hop sock or as you suggest and tack a bit of SS mesh to it. Where can you buy this mesh ?

Hi you can get small sheets of ss mesh for a few pounds here,
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/MeshCompany/Sh ... b=12929721
Sportyone

Unread postby IPA » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:15 pm

Sportyone wrote:
IPA wrote:Yes put the hop filter in a hop sock or as you suggest and tack a bit of SS mesh to it. Where can you buy this mesh ?

Hi you can get small sheets of ss mesh for a few pounds here,
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/MeshCompany/Sh ... b=12929721

Many thanks for the link
IPA

Unread postby IPA » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:23 pm

IPA wrote:
paulg wrote:Ian

Strange that because the only difference to my procedure is that I don't stir during cooling only a vigorous whirlpool stir after it has cooled before transfer to to the FV. Try that and see if it makes a difference because it has worked for me four the last five years or so.

Silly me of course there is debris in my pumps and pipework but I flush the pumps by means of a flexible hose attached to mixer tap after I have removed the spent hops that's why I never see any in the pumps when I dismantle them :oops: Sorry for the misinformation
IPA

Unread postby paulg » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:06 pm

aah yes
perhaps I need to put a hose on the pipes and flush the pumps when cleaning the hops out of the BM and then I should be able to run the pumps with a PBW cleaner rinse .
As I said it was my first brew with the machine so still learning the tricks
paulg

Unread postby niels » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:44 pm

paulg wrote:aah yes
perhaps I need to put a hose on the pipes and flush the pumps when cleaning the hops out of the BM and then I should be able to run the pumps with a PBW cleaner rinse .

Paul, always open up the pump(s) and clean it/them out before storing your Braumeister. It's easy-peasy and keeps your pump(s) clean as simply hosing and pumping PBW isn't enough!

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby IPA » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:15 am

paulg wrote:aah yes

I just put the hose against the hole inside the BM and turn on the tap with the 50 litre there are two pumps so I flush both of them two ways inlet to outlet and outlet to inlet and when the BM is completely cleaned I do once more to be sure. Every two or three brews I dismantle the pumps and give them a good clean. If you have the Vortex BW 152 oT pumps fitted the rotors have a circle of 1mm holes and one more in the centre. It is most important to make sure that these are clean,I use the blunt end of a 1mm drill bit, if they become blocked the pump starts to make a noise and the permanent magnets in the rotor become demagnetised resulting in pump failure
IPA

Unread postby Cervantes » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:42 am

niels wrote:Paul, always open up the pump(s) and clean it/them out before storing your Braumeister. It's easy-peasy and keeps your pump(s) clean as simply hosing and pumping PBW isn't enough!
- Niels

I'd also recommend dismantling and cleaning the pump after each use. It only takes a minute.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby paulg » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:07 am

thanks guys
yes I had read and did strip the pumps but was concerned about the hop debrise in the pipes and pump.I will flush using a hose when emptying the BM then pbw rinse for 30 minutes then strip and check the pumps and leave dissembled until properly dry.your correct it is easy to dissemble the pumps.

Paul
paulg

Unread postby royco » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:13 am

Re cleaning; on removing the impellers I notice a small pea-sized brown spot in the same place on both ss housings. Not sure if this is beer stain or corrosion. Anyone noticed this?
royco

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications