Combined hop filter and dip tube

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

Re: Combined hop filter and dip tube

Unread postby niels » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:20 am

Thanks for the extensive reply! Since when do you use imperial units in Russia? Or did you have an RIS before you typed this? :lol:

I just spend some cash on a hood, but I'll put this on my list for possible upgrades in the future.

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby fy0d0r » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:10 am

No RIS yet :lol:
I've used imperial units as I'm planning to send it all to Chad and want to avoid converting it back and forth.
fy0d0r

Unread postby fy0d0r » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:18 pm

I've contacted Chad again and he proposed not to overcomplicate the design with legs, etc.

He proposed just to extend the tube 2" below the fiter.
He has confirmed that the proposed design holds the form and weight well.

The cost of 7"x17" filter on 19" tube (top left open for the nut) will be $125 + shipment (if outside US)

Here are the pictures from Chad

New_Design_3.jpg

New_Design_2.jpg
New_Design_2.jpg (9.58 KiB) Viewed 3219 times

New_Design_1.jpg
New_Design_1.jpg (6.59 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
fy0d0r

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:08 pm

basic 6" x 11" hop filter for USD 60; I paid an additional USD 5 to extend it by another inch to 6" x 12" (I think that's the biggest size hop filter that I can fit into a 20L BM without touching the coils

Do you have any idea if Chads has already made a personalized hop siever for BM20 just like the one for BM50 ?
I'm thinking getting one!

While at it, I also picked up two dry hoppers for USD 88.

Hi Capdny, are you satisfied with your corny keg dry hopper filters?
They are pretty nice!
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby cpa4ny » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:18 am

fy0d0r wrote:I've contacted Chad again and he proposed not to overcomplicate the design with legs, etc.

He proposed just to extend the tube 2" below the fiter.
He has confirmed that the proposed design holds the form and weight well.

The cost of 7"x17" filter on 19" tube (top left open for the nut) will be $125 + shipment (if outside US)

Here are the pictures from Chad

Very nice design - I really like how it extends all the way down. Is it 300 micron mesh?

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby fy0d0r » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:09 am

cpa4ny wrote:Very nice design - I really like how it extends all the way down. Is it 300 micron mesh?

Yes, its 300 micron.
My only concern about this design is that I'll have to invent some stand to put the used filter filter with hops in the bucket vertically to drain.

Luis Coentrao wrote: Do you have any idea if Chads has already made a personalized hop siever for BM20 just like the one for BM50 ?

Chad can do any size, you just need to measure BM20 and tell him the size you want
fy0d0r

Unread postby cpa4ny » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:40 am

fy0d0r wrote:
My only concern about this design is that I'll have to invent some stand to put the used filter filter with hops in the bucket vertically to drain.

Shouldn't be a problem, I believe.

When I take my filter out, I just slosh it around a bit over the BM - virtually all the liquid drains out within couple of minutes.

No hoppy puddles :lol:

Unread postby Rooster » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:07 am

Is Chad still around? Been trying to contact for delivery to Aus but no reply.... :cry:
Rooster

Unread postby HopSong » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:50 pm

While I don't have a BM yet.. I do have some experience with hop pellets and whole cone. As a hop bag, I use my wife's discarded panty hose. No, it doesn't add that distinct flavor to the beer. :D Wash the discards if there are no runs in the legs and foot area. Cut the legs off (the hose) and there you have a tight weave hop bag that works very well.. an almost endless supply for those of you that have someone that wears them.
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby Leif Egge » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:35 pm

fy0d0r wrote:I've been exchanging E-mails with Chad and he has designed a special filter for BM.

It is not on the site yet, but can be ordered for $110 (for 50L)
Picture from Chad attached.

The attachment speideldone.jpg is no longer available

Actually I designed it in colaboration with Chad and he made the prototype :)

I really hate hop-socks and have been pondering about designing a custom stainless filter for the Braumeister for a long time. So back in March I got in contact with Chad about making a product and a combination of him being trigger-happy and me not being clear that I would have liked the honors of introducing this piece a equipment into the world has caused this little "leakage" :)

Here is some pictures of the development process:

Leifs_Braufilter_current_prototype.jpg

Leifs_Braufilter_Evolution.jpg

Now the Idea is that the filter should rest on the center rod itself, hovering a little bit above the temperature sensor so that it doesnt insulate the sensor causing wrong readouts during chilling and also to be able to run the pumps during cooling if you dont whirlpool.

And of course if you have the hood for it you can also just throw hops directly in the center hole of the hood without needing to lift the hood ever during the brew-session!

So the Norwegian importer of chads products (Bryggselv) is going to do some test with different sizes of the filter itself and the mesh that is used on it before ordering a larger batch of it. During the testing we will make some videos to share with the Norwegian homebrew-community and I´ll make sure to post it here as well so people can see how it performs. This will probably happen with a month or so..

In the meantime cheers :cheers:
Leif Egge

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:47 pm

Hi Leaf,

Ansious to see the results
I'm looking for a hop sieve :shock:
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby niels » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:00 am

Leif Egge wrote:Actually I designed it in colaboration with Chad and he made the prototype :)

So the Norwegian importer of chads products (Bryggselv) is going to do some test with different sizes of the filter itself and the mesh that is used on it before ordering a larger batch of it. During the testing we will make some videos to share with the Norwegian homebrew-community and I´ll make sure to post it here as well so people can see how it performs. This will probably happen with a month or so..

Nice design! I'm actually tempted to buy one too...

Since Bryggselv is going to import a larger batch it might be more economical for EU users to order it off them instead of Chad. I am very interested in the different results, so please keep us updated!

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby fy0d0r » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:10 pm

I've ordered one from Chad recently, will report on arrival and testing as well.

The only difference from above design is the central tube that is 2" longer in the bottom (to rest the filter on the rod base) and open on top to fix the filter on the rod by by the BM nut
fy0d0r

Unread postby paulg » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:14 pm

+1

I have a speidel hop filter and brewed on tuesday .I put my hop leaves in free and whirlpooled then cooled using immersion cooler ,when cleaning I found the pipe work to/from and the pumps full of hop debris.
I assume this was dragged in by my spoon when whirlpooling,I did not run the pump during the cooling.
I am going to use my old BIAB bag as a hop bag next brew but will definitely think of this filter when available.
The speidel hop filter worked fine in terms of getting crystal clear wort into the fermenter but the clean up of the pipework was a bit of a pain.

or is my whirlpool technique wrong
paulg

Unread postby IPA » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:05 am

The problem with the Braumeister filter is that it is cunningly designed with holes that are just the right size to allow hop seeds to pass through!! So you end up with an FV full of seeds. The only way to overcome the problem is to put it in a hop sock. I have mentioned this problem to Speidel and hopefully they will redesign it with a smaller mesh. The thinking behind this filter is that it should use the spent hops to retain the break material in the same way that a hop back does. Now the problem with Chad's hop container, as far as I can see, is that it is no more than an expensive hop sock and will not prevent break material entering the FV. Best wait and see what Speidel come up with because as I see it the third alternative ie the filter that plugs into the tap outlet will restrict the flow rate considerably due to the fact that it is surrounded by hops and break material from the word go which the Speidel isn't. Also I suggested a similar filter to Chad's to Speidel before they marketed their present model and the reason they gave for their design was that it would in fact retain the trub by using the spent hops as a second filter.
IPA

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications