Combined hop filter and dip tube

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

RE: Combined hop filter and dip tube

Unread postby Batz » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:19 am

My rather well used and simple pick up tube, you have me thinking now BrauTim, I'm going to add a screen similar to what you have done. Thanks for posting!

Batz
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby swiggingpig » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:51 am

swiggingpig wrote:I use solution #4

:beer:

I thought I should add a piccy just for completeness
20L BM with Jacket and Copper Hood
swiggingpig

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby swiggingpig » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:55 am

cpa4ny wrote:Image
Just yesterday, I received my custom filter from the States (courtesy of Chad @ http://arborfab.com/) - it is 6" (15 cm) in diameter and 12" in depth (30 cm)

As you can see, it fits perfectly in the 20L BM, hanging about one inch or so from the heating coils.

The mesh is 300 microns, which is what people recommend to use with pellets.

I like that !!!

I'm interested to see how you get on with that this weekend

20L BM with Jacket and Copper Hood
swiggingpig

Unread postby Batz » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:00 am

I thought I should add a piccy just for completeness

Completeness....complete. :P
Batz

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:38 pm

cpa4ny wrote:http://fluxbb.braumeisters.net/preview.php?id=54

Just yesterday, I received my custom filter from the States (courtesy of Chad @ http://arborfab.com/) - it is 6" (15 cm) in diameter and 12" in depth (30 cm)

As you can see, it fits perfectly in the 20L BM, hanging about one inch or so from the heating coils.

The mesh is 300 microns, which is what people recommend to use with pellets.

Hey cpa4ny can you divulge a few bit of info... i have been wavering on ordering exactly what you have for a while, what did you pay and what was the shipping? i gather that was a custom size so maybe cost more than standard??
thanks
dinnerstick

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:12 pm

also cpa4ny how do you chill your wort, if immersion chiller what do you do with your late and flameout hops? my only concern is that i can't use something like that for a hop stand at 60-70 if i want to chill first.
dinnerstick

Unread postby cpa4ny » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:21 am

Hey Dinnerstick - ok, divulging: :beer:

a.) They sell basic 6" x 11" hop filter for USD 60; I paid an additional USD 5 to extend it by another inch to 6" x 12" (I think that's the biggest size hop filter that I can fit into a 20L BM without touching the coils). While at it, I also picked up two dry hoppers for USD 88 (http://arborfab.com/ocart/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_66&product_id=85). Shipping to my neck of the woods via USPS 1st class (their tracking sucks, but they are the cheapest) ended up being USD 30.52. All in all - USD 183.52. Hopefully, it will minimize hop gunk-related issues.

b.) Wort chilling is done via a hose, connected to the 25' pre-chiller that sits in an ice bucket; wort goes through my Therminator and into the fermentor. Being on the equator, I have ~27C year-round water temperatures that I have to fight with. With that set up, I can chill down to a comfortable ale pitching temperature (I don't do many lagers). I am not a big fan of the IC as a main chiller (which I used to use when I started brewing) because i.) it is slower and ii.) I cannot use my HopRocket. Also, the metal mesh hop filter and the IC won't fit together within the confines of the BM.
Last edited by cpa4ny on Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postby cpa4ny » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:08 am

swiggingpig wrote:
I'm interested to see how you get on with that this weekend

Will keep you guys posted :cheers:

Unread postby Batz » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:08 am

cpa4ny wrote:Hey Dinnerstick - ok, divulging: :beer:

a.) They sell basic 6" x 11" hop filter for USD 60; I paid an additional USD 5 to extend it by another inch to 6" x 12" (I think that's the biggest size hop filter that I can fit into a 20L BM without touching the coils). While at it, I also picked up two dry hoppers for USD 88 (http://arborfab.com/ocart/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_66&product_id=85). Shipping to my neck of the woods via USPS 1st class (their tracking sucks, but they are the cheapest) ended up being USD 30.52. All in all - USD 183.52. Hopefully, it will minimize hop gunk-related issues.

b.) Wort chilling is done via a hose, connected to the 25' pre-chiller that sits in an ice bucket; wort goes through my Therminator and into the fermentor. Being on the equator, I have ~27C year-round water temperatures that I have to fight with. With that set up, I can chill down to a comfortable ale pitching temperature (I don't do many lagers). I am not a big fan of the IC as a main chiller (which I used to use when I started brewing) because i.) it is slower and ii.) I cannot use my HopRocket. Also, the metal mesh hop filter and the IC won't fit together within the confines of the BM.

I use an IC and a HopRocket at the same time.
Batz

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:58 am

cpa4ny wrote:Hey Dinnerstick - ok, divulging: :beer:

thanks a lot for the info! just for comparison my tap water in the winter is like 7 or 8 degrees. in the summer it rockets up to 11 or so... immersion chiller all the way! go 52nd parallel north.
dinnerstick

Unread postby cpa4ny » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:06 am

DS - I am 1 degree north of the equator and - outside of wort-chilling matters - I am loving it. :cool: Given your water temps, I think IC should be fine.

For faster action, I think you can spin the wort around inside the BM with a long spoon. That's essentially the principle behind JZ's chiller.

Batz - do you recirculate the wort via an external pump through the HopBack and back into the BM - then chill the wort with an IC?

Unread postby Batz » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:12 am

cpa4ny wrote:DS - I am 1 degree north of the equator and - outside of wort-chilling matters - I am loving it. :cool: Given your water temps, I think IC should be fine.

For faster action, I think you can spin the wort around inside the BM with a long spoon. That's essentially the principle behind JZ's chiller.

Batz - do you recirculate the wort via an external pump through the HopBack and back into the BM - then chill the wort with an IC?

Yes I use a March Pump, chilling happening at the same time. I like my Hop Rocket to begin at around 80c. I find this gives me the aroma and taste I'm after, but I normally only use it for APA's and IPA'S .
Last edited by Batz on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Batz

Unread postby cpa4ny » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:14 am

This weekend brewed a porter (was planning a saison, but my LHBS was out of the Saison yeast).

I was very pleased with the hop filter:

The wort didn't seem to have any hop matter "leakage":

Also got a nice hot break courtesy of the large towel wrapped around the BM.
Last edited by cpa4ny on Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postby whitegoose » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:10 pm

cpa4ny wrote:This weekend brewed a porter (was planning a saison, but my LHBS was out of the Saison yeast).

I was very pleased with the hop filter:

http://fluxbb.braumeisters.net/preview.php?id=65

http://fluxbb.braumeisters.net/preview.php?id=66

The wort didn't seem to have any hop matter "leakage":

http://fluxbb.braumeisters.net/preview.php?id=67

Also got a nice hot break courtesy of the large towel wrapped around the BM.

That's it, I'm in.

So, if I contact this guy and ask for a custom in-kettle hop filter - 6" (15 cm) in diameter and 12" in depth (30 cm) - he'll give me exactly what you've got there? Did you need to ask for the hooks/braces for hanging it on the side?
whitegoose

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:48 pm

whitegoose wrote:So, if I contact this guy and ask for a custom in-kettle hop filter - 6" (15 cm) in diameter and 12" in depth (30 cm) - he'll give me exactly what you've got there? Did you need to ask for the hooks/braces for hanging it on the side?

i actually emailed (from their website) just after cpa4ny posted those photos with the same questions (asked for a quote on a custom build with those specs including the hanging parts), and didn't get a reply!
dinnerstick

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications