How to tighten the tap/spigot?

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

How to tighten the tap/spigot?

Unread postby Spoonie » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:04 pm

I am going to ask a stupid question...how do you get the tap straight yet have it tight? If I tighten a new tap it isn't straight.
Spoonie

Re: How to tighten the tap/spigot?

Unread postby stokie brewer » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:46 pm

Spoonie wrote:I am going to ask a stupid question...how do you get the tap straight yet have it tight? If I tighten a new tap it isn't straight.

I had the same problem, when tight the lever was near the bottom so I wrapped some PTFE tape on the thread and so didn't need to tighten as much.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
stokie brewer

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby niels » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:11 pm

Spoonie wrote:I am going to ask a stupid question...how do you get the tap straight yet have it tight? If I tighten a new tap it isn't straight.

Spoonie, you can use the counter-nut to tighten the spigot. Simply screw the spigot on until you find the last "correct" position and turn the nut towards the kettle until it tightens the spigot. You could also first turn the spigot back 1/4 turn (or even less), turn the nut towards the kettle (by hand) and turn the spigot back to the upright position. This way you can tighten it without any tools.

I hope it is a bit clear. Otherwise I will have to make an instruction video ;)

:cheers:
- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Spoonie » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:15 pm

Thanks, I will give that a go.
Spoonie

Unread postby Spoonie » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:24 pm

I just read my original post and don't think I was clear. I am looking to replace the tap the comes with the BM as the original leaked badly and the replacement isn't much better. I have a 3\4 - 1\2 hex and a ball lock value. Do I just tape them up and screw until straight?
Spoonie

Unread postby Crusty » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:25 am

Spoonie wrote:I just read my original post and don't think I was clear. I am looking to replace the tap the comes with the BM as the original leaked badly and the replacement isn't much better. I have a 3\4 - 1\2 hex and a ball lock value. Do I just tape them up and screw until straight?

Hey Spoonie.
Just put a few extra turns of thread tape on your thread & tighten it up until it all lines up nice & straight.
Crusty

Return to Modifications