Hop filter Clone

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

Hop filter Clone

Unread postby kstiglich » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:12 am

Hi folks,

I did several efforts to avoid trub from my Braumeister 20l to my fermenter with no success, therefore I was reviewing internet to see different hop filters, and finally I decided to clone this model.

hop_filter_1.jpg

hop_filter_2.jpg

I really like it, but I have not used it yet. I will brew tomorrow, so I expect to have great results using this filter!!
The most important aspect I reviewed to decide for this model is that this will allow me to use my immerse wort chiller, and even use it for flame out adds of hops, etc...

It fits my machine perfectly.

hop_filter_3.jpg

I will let you know its performance after my brew....
kstiglich

Model: 20 litres

Re: Hop filter Clone

Unread postby RobW » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:36 am

Nice job - what type of mesh did you use?
RobW

Unread postby BrauTim » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:54 am

Nice looking design, whilst this would stop hops from clogging the outlet tap, I think some protein break (hot/cold break) and therefore trub, will still end up in the fermenter because it won't be filtered by the hops completely. This is just an observation though not a criticism as I'm not sure how critical keeping as much protein break out of the fermenter is for the finished beer, there appear to be many theories and much anectodal info out there as there with many brewing subjects.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby kstiglich » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:52 am

I used a mesh #48, it has 300 microns aperture. Its true, I think it will not stop hot trub, but for hoppy beers it will retain most or all hops...
I see some people designed a filtering tube and inserted it to the inner side of the tap using a silicone, but it would complicated my wort chiller entering into my braumeister... I have to review it in detail. Another option is that I am using tap water to chill my chiller, and I am immersing a previous mini chiller in an ice bucket but it does not get very cold.... I will start using a pump to send cold water through the chiller... I hope it will precipitate better the hot trub, because many times I can join proteins in cumulus but they stay suspended....I need to cold my wort more...
A different option that I know will work but I do not want to do is cooling my wort in the braumeister, then transferring to a carboy and cooling it down, and then transferring again to another carboy without the hot trub before pitching the yeast.
kstiglich

Unread postby malzrohr » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:32 pm

With the current design of your hop filter, couldn't you reuse it and run off the cold wort from the BM over the spent hops into your fermenter? Your hops filter then becomes a trub filter.
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Unread postby kstiglich » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:06 am

I just brewed a Pale Ale beer today, and honestly...do not spend your time and money on a hop filter!
It work perfect to hold hops but hot trub is more important to filter, so I will not use it again.
I tried to use this hop filter at the end, passing the wort through it but it got covered very fast, and it was difficult.

From my experience, I think that maybe the best way to avoid all that hot trub, would be moving all the wort to a carboy after is has cold enough and colding it down in the freeze to 8ºc and transferring to a new carboy leaving all the hot trub in the first carboy.
Any other ideas???
kstiglich

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:35 pm

My method to avoid trub into the fermenter is to chill with an immersion chiller and let the wort settle in the BM for around 45 to 60 minutes and then drain off carefully into the fermenter.

The result is a brilliantly clear wort and by tilting the BM slightly toward the tap as the wort drains you will leave very little precious wort behind in the kettle.

You will not obtain wort this clear with a CFWC without a lot of "double handling" of the wort and for this reason is why I personally changed to an IC.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:45 pm

From my experience, I think that maybe the best way to avoid all that hot trub, would be moving all the wort to a carboy after is has cold enough and colding it down in the freeze to 8ºc and transferring to a new carboy leaving all the hot trub in the first carboy.

I use a Chad's hop sieve and a carboy for cold break (at 5C) before transfer to the glass carboy fermentor.
I can tell you, no trub into the fermentor and trub loss less than 2L. I'll get a picture.
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby BrauTim » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:40 pm

Dicko wrote:My method to avoid trub into the fermenter is to chill with an immersion chiller and let the wort settle in the BM for around 45 to 60 minutes and then drain off carefully into the fermenter.

The result is a brilliantly clear wort and by tilting the BM slightly toward the tap as the wort drains you will leave very little precious wort behind in the kettle.

You will not obtain wort this clear with a CFWC without a lot of "double handling" of the wort and for this reason is why I personally changed to an IC.

:cheers:

+1
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby bruulog » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:05 am

Or you can forget all that carboy show and do this:
Boil, whirlpool (a large spoon will do), wait (but stay above 80 C) plug in your CFC and transfer all that clear and good stuff directly to tour fermenter at 20-23 C (or what ever temp you like).
This is it!
I have no idea what BS has caused you guys to get all misty eyed when little trub gets into your fermenter. :) It does absolutely nothing bad to your beer.

If you like to worry abut stuff, worry about things that actually matter: sanitation, wrong temperature, bad (or just wrong) yeast, (sun)light, out of balance recipe and few other things like what day it is and to I ware 2 or 3 piece suite. :cheers:
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog

Unread postby Nesto » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:08 pm

bruulog wrote:Or you can forget all that carboy show and do this:
Boil, whirlpool (a large spoon will do), wait (but stay above 80 C) plug in your CFC and transfer all that clear and good stuff directly to tour fermenter at 20-23 C (or what ever temp you like).
This is it!
I have no idea what BS has caused you guys to get all misty eyed when little trub gets into your fermenter. :) It does absolutely nothing bad to your beer.

If you like to worry abut stuff, worry about things that actually matter: sanitation, wrong temperature, bad (or just wrong) yeast, (sun)light, out of balance recipe and few other things like what day it is and to I ware 2 or 3 piece suite. :cheers:

^^this!

I don't worry about trub...
http://brulosophy.com/2014/06/02/the-gr ... ts-are-in/

Unread postby bruulog » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:20 pm

kstiglich , any plans to build a narrow tube like this for dry hopping?
Something, that fits into fermenter and can be pulled out before moving on to bottling.

I have hard time finding a local distributor for 300 micron mesh in small quantities.
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog

Unread postby kstiglich » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:04 pm

I do not worry about trub for flavors, I am worry about trub because having trub into my carboy reduce the quantity of final beer when kegging.
This is an image of my latest sam adams lager clone, and the trub was important

trub.jpg

So I would prefer to avoid any trub into my carboy to have more beer....I would like to have a larger carboy of 25liters (6 or 7 gallons) and later syphon to my keg leaving all trub in the carboy, but unfortunately all carboys available for me are 20/21 liters.
Initially, I was filling half my carboy and agitating it to oxygenate it, so I had a lot of foam.... Now, I will try the following;

1. Boil
2. Whirpool for 5 minutes with a spoon.
3. Cool with Immersion chiller to 23c
4. let it rest for 45 minutes to precipitate all trub
5. carefully fill my carboy to the top
6. depending on the finally trub in my carboy I will cold it to 5c and syphon to a new carboy or if few trub got into my carboy I will oxygenate it
kstiglich

Unread postby malzrohr » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:25 pm

Why don't you just switch 2 and 3?
Run the pump in manual mode when cooling. You could leave your hop filter in place during cooling with some fresh hops for flavour hopping if required.
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Unread postby kstiglich » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:25 pm

Actually I finish the boil and open the tap water to run into my wort chiller and in parallel start whirpooling...
So i whirpool for 5 minutes while it is cooling..

I found that my hop filter do not help me much and complicate any whirpooling with the hop filter and the immersion chiller. So i will not use it again.
kstiglich

Next

Return to Modifications