New tap

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

Re: New tap

Unread postby ErikSWE » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:02 am

Here is a pic on braumeister with 3/4" valve. Maybee 1/2 have been just enough, but Im pleased with 3/4" The size is not à issue.

b5ea92851834f3939800dfda83f8cd95.jpg
ErikSWE

Unread postby Oz11 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:52 am

Dicko wrote:
Oz11 wrote:
Is there any reason why you would not go into a 3/4" ball valve?

You could if you wanted to, at least I cant see any reason why not except maybe for the extra size and weight it may place on the BM welded socket.

I personally opted for the half inch valve but used the smaller type.
Mine can still be dismantled for cleaning but it is not as large and bulky as the type pictured a few posts above.
The first page of posts in this topic show pics of the modifications that most have done.

So, I have my 3/4" ball valve and fittings... are these valves always so hard to turn? Mine seems incredibly stiff and I now worry about putting undue stress on the BM socket when opening/closing the new tap :roll:
FV: Northdown/EKG Bitter
Cond: Oatmeal Stout
On MiniKeg: Boadicea Bitter, Single Hop Boadicea, Dogbolter, US Amber
Bottled: Triple Stout, English Wheat Beer, Salem Porter, Triple Stout '15, JHB, Exmoor Gold, APA, Foundryman's Gold, Whitbread 1905 XK, US IPA, Irish Stout, SNPA, Autumn Mild, US Stout, Summit IPA, Milk Stout, Jaipur, 1930's Courage Stout

http://www.PubsAndBeer.co.uk
Oz11

Location: Tonbridge, Kent. UK. Brewing at the Rockin Robin Brewery (15BBL), Maidstone.
Model: 20 litres

Unread postby TequilaTom » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:13 pm

Not sure this is terribly useful, but here's how I did mine, so I can remove the valve & put it away. Uses a stainless QD.
image.jpg

image.jpg
TequilaTom

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Oz11 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:22 pm

Oz11 wrote:
Dicko wrote:
Oz11 wrote:

You could if you wanted to, at least I cant see any reason why not except maybe for the extra size and weight it may place on the BM welded socket.

Mine can still be dismantled for cleaning but it is not as large and bulky as the type pictured a few posts above.
The first page of posts in this topic show pics of the modifications that most have done.

So, I have my 3/4" ball valve and fittings... are these valves always so hard to turn? Mine seems incredibly stiff and I now worry about putting undue stress on the BM socket when opening/closing the new tap :roll:

So, I've used BM with 3/4" ball valve a few times now. What I like is I can transfer to FV in about 5 seconds now.... :beerbang: Okay, I exaggerate slightly, but it's a helluva lot quicker than using the stock BM tap 8)
Bottled: Triple Stout, English Wheat Beer, Salem Porter, Triple Stout '15, JHB, Exmoor Gold, APA, Foundryman's Gold, Whitbread 1905 XK, US IPA, Irish Stout, SNPA, Autumn Mild, US Stout, Summit IPA, Milk Stout, Jaipur, 1930's Courage Stout

Oz11

Location: Tonbridge, Kent. UK. Brewing at the Rockin Robin Brewery (15BBL), Maidstone.

Unread postby HopSong » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:10 am

that is an excellent solution.. very similar to what I was proposing in an earlier post.

That was before I did my first brew with Nesto. At this point.. I won't be changing out the valve unless it becomes a cleaning issue.. then I'll go three piece.

I had a piece of Silicone hose that fit perfectly and had enough stretch that I don't fear it slipping off. If I were using vinyl tubing, I'd change it out right away. Vinyl heats up and would slip off, IMO.. but the Silicone worked like a charm.
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby drhill88 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:15 am

This might be a stupid question, but I'm trying to replace the valve on my Braumeister with a ball valve and the valve (and the elbow) I'm using stops at an angle i.e. Not parallel to the floor. How do you get the valve to stop in the correct orientation?
drhill88

Unread postby Oz11 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:22 am

Mine was a little trial and error and the first time I had the valve upside down, but try using varying amounts PTFE tape on the threads. I find a couple of turns allows me to get everything positioned correctly with no leaks.

Oz11

Unread postby Avispartner » Fri May 15, 2015 5:53 pm

drhill88 wrote:This might be a stupid question, but I'm trying to replace the valve on my Braumeister with a ball valve and the valve (and the elbow) I'm using stops at an angle i.e. Not parallel to the floor. How do you get the valve to stop in the correct orientation?

I was asking myself the same question yesterday when I "upgraded" my BM20 with ball valve... :?

Oz11 wrote:Mine was a little trial and error and the first time I had the valve upside down, but try using varying amounts PTFE tape on the threads. I find a couple of turns allows me to get everything positioned correctly with no leaks.

...and today I'm happy to remember having read this somewhere. Have some PTFE tape left, so I will go trial-and-error-ing over the weekend. :D
Avispartner

Unread postby judgecc » Mon May 18, 2015 3:34 pm

TequilaTom wrote:Not sure this is terribly useful, but here's how I did mine, so I can remove the valve & put it away. Uses a stainless QD.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Thank you.. I've ordered quick connects to do this with my BM50 and my 36l Biab setup.. Its a great solution, nothing long in the way that is just waiting to run into.. Nice to be able to soak everything in PBW as well..
judgecc

Unread postby OldScotchAle » Mon May 18, 2015 5:41 pm

TequilaTom wrote:Not sure this is terribly useful, but here's how I did mine, so I can remove the valve & put it away. Uses a stainless QD.
image.jpg

image.jpg

I bought this same set of hardware (Reducer, quick disconnects, valve) and decided I don't want to use it. When I get a picture or two I'll put it in the "For Sale" section.
OldScotchAle

Unread postby judgecc » Mon May 18, 2015 6:55 pm

OldScotchAle wrote:
I bought this same set of hardware (Reducer, quick disconnects, valve) and decided I don't want to use it. When I get a picture or two I'll put it in the "For Sale" section.

Because? I think I will be glad to easily manage to snap the ballvalve away, I got it pretty narrow where im going to build for my BM. And I would like to use the path in front of my bm often without the risk of bunping in to it a couple of time each beer poor or ferment check..
judgecc

Unread postby OldScotchAle » Mon May 18, 2015 8:45 pm

judgecc wrote:
OldScotchAle wrote:

Because?..

Because it's big, heavy and sticks out too far. I bought it before the BM arrived, based on comments here and elsewhere. I sources the parts from 2 different vendors. When the BM arrived I felt that the factory tap was just fine for me since I never plan to add additional pumps and such.
OldScotchAle

Unread postby judgecc » Mon May 18, 2015 10:40 pm

I see. Well, I need to get my tap away a bit from the bm to easily transfer to my fermentor.. And I do agree a 4piece ballock is big and clumsy. But I think its a good setup for me due to the simplicity to disconnect it when not in use.. But what ever floats ones boat eyy..
judgecc

Unread postby royco » Sun May 24, 2015 1:21 pm

"Because it's big, heavy and sticks out too far"

I put the 3/4 elbow first, then the valve (pointing downwards).This way it does not stick out as far.
royco

Unread postby royco » Wed May 27, 2015 6:28 am

VALVE.jpeg
Oz11 wrote:
Dicko wrote:
Oz11 wrote:

So, I've used BM with 3/4" ball valve a few times now. What I like is I can transfer to FV in about 5 seconds now.... :beerbang: Okay, I exaggerate slightly, but it's a helluva lot quicker than using the stock BM tap 8)[/quote]

Oz, don't exaggerate! It's actually 7secs. Also, the valve should not be hard to turn, maybe some protective gunk from the factory. It will loosen.
As for being large and bulky and sticking out, I put the elbow in first and the valve pointing down but at an angle to allow access to the panel.
royco

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications