New tap

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

Re: New tap

Unread postby niels » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:11 am

dinnerstick wrote:9mm ID silicon. about 11mm OD. it fits so perfectly on the factory tap and has never slipped off

I think I use a 9mm ID PVC tube and I need to put it on when the tap is still hot so the tube gets flexible. After chilling the tube is hardened again and stays on perfectly.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby bruulog » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:17 am

PVC + hot liquid = bad chemicals are leeching into your beer.
This will not kill you but why add more crap to your system if you can avoid it. Invest few more EUR and get a proper heat resistant (up to +200? something C) silicon hoses. Problem solved! 10-12 mm inner diameter is fine. No slipping, large inner diameter, faster flow out etc.

BTW, a modern 13 year old has more bad chemicals in their body fat than a 80 year old. Both have live in the same geographical location.
Look around your room, if it's not wood , stone or metal, it's petroleum based (and probably made in China). :cheers:
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog

Unread postby niels » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:36 pm

bruulog wrote:PVC + hot liquid = bad chemicals are leeching into your beer.

It is food grade PVC tubing with a Max usage temperature of 60°C.
Since I use it for draining chilled wort at less than 20°C I think I'm pretty safe.

For hot liquid transfer I have some silicone tubing laying around, bit with the BM these became obsolete.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Lindh » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:41 pm

My first tap was leaking from the white platic wheb I had cold water in the bm. Got a new one from my lhbs but it has the same problem. I like the original ball valve for its small size but it bugs me it keeps on dripping. Any suggestions on how to fix it? It's the new white seal wih a slot in it for keep it from turning.
Lindh

Unread postby ErikSWE » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:54 pm

After my second orginal tap that was leaking i orderned new kit from ebay.
3/4" tap, fittings for a total off 25 €.
ErikSWE

Unread postby bruulog » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:25 am

Before I did not understand why you guys want to replace the original tap.
Now, after 5 brews, I am with you guys and can confirm, Braumeister tap sucks ... no ... it leaks and must be replaced.
I am going to order a replacement just to send them a message.
bruulog

Unread postby martingale » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:15 pm

bruulog wrote:Before I did not understand why you guys want to replace the original tap.
Now, after 5 brews, I am with you guys and can confirm, Braumeister tap sucks ... no ... it leaks and must be replaced.

I've seen my BM tap leak on one of my earlier batches, then discovered that the nut on the tap must be tightened to create a good seal with the o-ring. Not sure if that's the issue with yours, but worth a check if you haven't already.
martingale

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby ibbones » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:56 am

Im only 11 brews into my BM but so far so good. I still have all my old brew supplies so if it does leak, I can change out the tap.
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Unread postby bruulog » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:02 pm

martingale wrote:
bruulog wrote:Before I did not understand why you guys want to replace the original tap.

I've seen my BM tap leak on one of my earlier batches, then discovered that the nut on the tap must be tightened to create a good seal with the o-ring. Not sure if that's the issue with yours, but worth a check if you haven't already.

It leaks from the tap not from the boiler/tap connection
bruulog

Unread postby Jake99 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:32 am

Lindh wrote:My first tap was leaking from the white platic wheb I had cold water in the bm. Got a new one from my lhbs but it has the same problem. I like the original ball valve for its small size but it bugs me it keeps on dripping. Any suggestions on how to fix it? It's the new white seal wih a slot in it for keep it from turning.

Same issue here,picking up the new tap today,cross my fingers that the new tap will be okay

Cheers,
Jan
Jake99

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby red ice » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:44 am

Has anyone installed a blichmann tap? I see you can buy them with a dip tube assembly which would be nice

My BM hasn't arrived yet so I don't know the exact setup. Is the thread for current tap welded to the tank or can you remove it all and leave a hole in the tank and fit an entirely new assembly?

Thanks
red ice

Location: Scotland. I can almost see the Caledonian Brewery from my doorstep

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:21 pm

red ice wrote:Has anyone installed a blichmann tap? I see you can buy them with a dip tube assembly which would be nice

My BM hasn't arrived yet so I don't know the exact setup. Is the thread for current tap welded to the tank or can you remove it all and leave a hole in the tank and fit an entirely new assembly?

Thanks

The threaded section is welded to the kettle so what you will need is a 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch male / male nipple and a 1/2 inch ball valve with your choice of barb or camlock etc.
There are other posts on here that list the parts feom a variety of suppliers.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Erick » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:20 pm

The first time I used my BM I also thought it was leaking, after closer inspection it, indeed, turned out to be the nut that must be tightened. Just hold the tap in position with one hand and tighten the nut with the other. Never had problems after that. I have to agree with Martingale:
martingale wrote:I've seen my BM tap leak on one of my earlier batches, then discovered that the nut on the tap must be tightened to create a good seal with the o-ring. Not sure if that's the issue with yours, but worth a check if you haven't already.
Erick

Unread postby Oz11 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:33 pm

Dicko wrote:
red ice wrote:Has anyone installed a blichmann tap? I see you can buy them with a dip tube assembly which would be nice

Thanks

The threaded section is welded to the kettle so what you will need is a 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch male / male nipple and a 1/2 inch ball valve with your choice of barb or camlock etc.

Is there any reason why you would not go into a 3/4" ball valve?
FV: Northdown/EKG Bitter
Cond: Oatmeal Stout
On MiniKeg: Boadicea Bitter, Single Hop Boadicea, Dogbolter, US Amber
Bottled: Triple Stout, English Wheat Beer, Salem Porter, Triple Stout '15, JHB, Exmoor Gold, APA, Foundryman's Gold, Whitbread 1905 XK, US IPA, Irish Stout, SNPA, Autumn Mild, US Stout, Summit IPA, Milk Stout, Jaipur, 1930's Courage Stout

http://www.PubsAndBeer.co.uk
Oz11

Location: Tonbridge, Kent. UK. Brewing at the Rockin Robin Brewery (15BBL), Maidstone.

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:55 pm

Oz11 wrote:
Dicko wrote:

Thanks

Is there any reason why you would not go into a 3/4" ball valve?

You could if you wanted to, at least I cant see any reason why not except maybe for the extra size and weight it may place on the BM welded socket.
I personally opted for the half inch valve but used the smaller type.
Mine can still be dismantled for cleaning but it is not as large and bulky as the type pictured a few posts above.
The first page of posts in this topic show pics of the modifications that most have done.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications