New tap

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

Re: New tap

Unread postby HopSong » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:53 am

Here is what I'm thinking
Either: http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.ph ... uct_id=140

Or: http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.ph ... uct_id=133

The 2nd would be the easiest to clean and have less chance to get damaged. If you did it per option 2, you could get... http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.ph ... uct_id=140 (which was Option 1)

To that, if you want to go 90*, attach... http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.ph ... uct_id=120

If not, simply attach your valve to.. the fitting listed in Option 2.. http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.ph ... uct_id=140

Just thoughts...
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby pmac » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:33 am

Dicko wrote:I can not speak for all BM brewers but I changed my tap configuration to what is in my pic above because at the time I wanted to be able to fit a silicon hose onto the barb SECURELY as the original tap has a tapered outlet and is an excellent design for having the hose just slip off while transferring wort. :oops:

I now use an immersion chiller so I really dont need the tap modification however I have left it in place due to reports of the original tap having problems with the nylon insert turning in the tap body and stopping the wort from flowing out of the BM.

I still have my original tap and I could refit it if I wanted to.
The idea above of HbgBill re the quick disconnect is a good one as well as it would allow easier cleaning with the tap removed. The protruding tap assembly can be difficult when moving the BM around during cleaning.

:cheers:

I changed mine also for the safety aspect - my silicon was too loose for my liking when no chilling.
pmac

Unread postby Cervantes » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:39 am

pmac wrote:Hi all

I also assume I will need to take apart and clean each time?

What is your routine with your modified taps?

Cheers

Paul.

Paul,

I have a counterflow pipe attached to my immersion chiller, so I don't bother sanitising the tap as I pump near boiling wort through the tap to the counterflow pipe and back into the BM whilst cooling.

This in theory sterilises the tap, hoses and pump prior to the temperatures dropping.

I reckon this does the job quite well.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Nesto » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:57 am

HbgBill wrote:Has anyone considered removing the valve assy and putting a SS QD in place.. then adding a QD to the valve in whatever configuration.. straight or elbow?

The reason I ask is that I don't like that long projection coming out of a pot. I won't have a dedicated spot for my BM when it arrives.. so it will be moved around a bit. I'm probably more clumsy than most of you.. :) so, for me, it would be easy to bump that seemingly long appendage and bend/break something.

Just a thought.

So do you mean a QD to allow you to take the valve assy on and off the BM? Interesting idea. I'd like to see the parts for that.

Bill, you've seen my mod - it does stick out quite a bit. Personally, it doesn't bother me. While cleaning, I actually use it to help me hold on to the BM while moving it around. And I'm fairly fastidious so I disassemble the valve assembly every time I clean and leave it disassembled for storage so it doesn't stick out where I can smack into it.

Unread postby bruulog » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:59 am

Dicko wrote:...
I now use an immersion chiller so I really dont need the tap modification however I have left it in place due to reports of the original tap having problems with the nylon insert turning in the tap body and stopping the wort from flowing out of the BM...

Huh, I hope this is not going to happen because I rather avoid replacing original. It's close to the pot and not sticking out as those mod's are.
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby HopSong » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:47 pm

Yes, I remember. I would not, personally, put the 90* elbow on. However, I would remove the valve and replace it with Item 133 in my post. From there I would attach item 140 to a good 3 pc valve and add a nipple at the outside end to attach some silicone tubing securely.

Looking at the taper on the original valve has me a bit concerned that the tubing would slip off and spill wort, or more seriously, burn someone. I don't understand what Speidel was thinking here.. except that it looks nicer (?)

I did order the ss chiller coil.. However I also have a March pump and a plate chiller.. neither of which I have ever used. I may just have to build a specialty bench to hold the pump and plate chiller as an option. On a different forum, I saw someone purchased a small bench made for power tools. He added a plywood top that extended over the edges of said bench and attached his grain mill to it. Not a bad idea for the BM 20L that I'm STILLLLL waiting for. No info yet.. but, Thorsten assures me the info will be coming soon.. then the long delivery, customs at both ends, etc. Heck, I'll probably be in Germany when it is supposed to arrive.
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby bruulog » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:27 pm

if hose is slipping, you can fix that by investing about € 1,30 and getting a hose clamp. :mrgreen:

11-13-mm.jpg
11-13-mm.jpg (3.67 KiB) Viewed 1837 times
bruulog

Unread postby niels » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:34 am

bruulog wrote:if hose is slipping, you can fix that by investing about € 1,30 and getting a hose clamp. :mrgreen:

11-13-mm.jpg

I like this type of hose clamp! Until know I never though about such type of clamp as I'm used to the metal screw type.

Thanks for the suggestion!

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby HopSong » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:03 pm

I've never seen small diameter ones like that.. I have a few that are MUCH larger in diameter for different purposes. Where did you find them? What are they called for search purposes?
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby Dan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:34 pm

I started off using a hose clamp. It was pointless.
If the outlet was straight walled or tapered the other way - no problem, but the tighter I got the clamp, the further the hose slipped toward the end.
If you can get it to work then good luck to you.
Dan

Unread postby bruulog » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:38 am

Dan wrote:I started off using a hose clamp. It was pointless.
If the outlet was straight walled or tapered the other way - no problem, but the tighter I got the clamp, the further the hose slipped toward the end.

What type of hose you use (silicon, PVC...) and what diameter (inner)?
bruulog

Unread postby Nesto » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:28 am

bruulog wrote:if hose is slipping, you can fix that by investing about € 1,30 and getting a hose clamp. :mrgreen:

11-13-mm.jpg

First time I ever saw this type of clamp too. I just ordered a pack of 1/2" (12.7mm) rated for high temps to test out...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007R52ZDQ/ref ... ub17FT2YF#

Same vendor has multiple sizes.

Unread postby Dan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:07 am

bruulog wrote:
Dan wrote:I started off using a hose clamp. It was pointless.

What type of hose you use (silicon, PVC...) and what diameter (inner)?

1/2" silicon
Dan

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:21 am

9mm ID silicon. about 11mm OD. it fits so perfectly on the factory tap and has never slipped off
dinnerstick

Unread postby bruulog » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:55 am

I use 10 mm silicone (ID) and even this is really tight and hard to pull off.
bruulog

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications