Speidel Braumeister Short Malt Pipe for 20L

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

Speidel Braumeister Short Malt Pipe for 20L

Unread postby Cervantes » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:10 am

http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/products/category/search/7BRAU+SHORT+MALT+PIPE+20L

I didn't know that there was such a thing................

Handy for pilot batches and experimentation.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Model: 20 litres

Re: Speidel Braumeister Short Malt Pipe for 20L

Unread postby hughjampton » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:38 pm

10L will be a bit small for most people so I wonder if they sell many. I don't think I'd bother brewing that small an amount.

Small batches might be good if you enjoy brewing often but have trouble drinking it all. I read about a bloke in America who doesn't like drinking beer but enjoys making it. He wins a lot of competitions but he only makes small batches. He enjoys brewing because it's something he's very good at. I guess we all need something we are good at doing.
When the chill sciroco blows, and winter tells a heavy tale
When pies, and daws, and rooks and crows do sit and curse the frost and snows
Then give me ale.
hughjampton

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby bierfest » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:12 pm

10l would be good for trying out new recipes. Its a real pain when you have 20l of a beer and after brewing it you find it doesnt taste great or like what you had hoped..
bierfest

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Elderberry » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:37 am

Interesting. But thinking about it creates more questions for me:

How small of a batch can you do with the 20L pipe? I suppose it would depend a bit on the amount of grain you plan to use, but really, what would the minimum amount of water be that would circulate? I might actually experiment with this. I very rarely drink strong beers, so maybe I could try a normal 4-5 kg batch with less water and see what happens. Surely somebody has already tried this.
Elderberry

Unread postby kahobro » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:14 am

I have made two batches with the short malt pipe for the 20l speidel.

Offcially you can put 2.5 kg of malt in in. I turned the upper sieve up-side down on the second batch and put a washer on top. I managed to put in 3 kg of malt. Maybe more is possible but hen you're pushing it. 13 l of water is the normal amount of water for this pipe.

I like the possibility of making the smaller batches so I can brew more different kinds of beer and experiment some more. 100 l /year seems the maximum amount that is consumed at home for homebrews. Also for some kinds of beer 20 l is too much as it will not be drunk a lot.

regards,
Hans
kahobro

Unread postby HopSong » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:22 pm

In my case, this is all I brew. Maybe once a year I will do a 5gallon batch. Makes for good turnover, especially with beers that lose hop flavor in a relatively short time. I'm thinking IPA, APA, etc. I never brew IPA anymore because my brewing friends brew that all the time.. easy for me to get. However, my non brewing friends, to a great extent, don't like the higher hopped beers.. therefore, I do more APA's.. along with my stouts, porters, etc.

So, while I don't have my BM yet.. the big malt pipe will sit on the shelf most of the time...

When, oh when, am I going to get notification that my BM has shipped??? Anticipation is not always great.

Yesterday, I brewed (BIAB) a 3 gallon batch of oatmeal stout.. It will take a few months for that to really smooth out. About 18 hours into fermentation and it's looking very happy.. :beerbang:
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby Cervantes » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:29 am

I've just ordered the short malt pipe for my 20L BM.

I'm struggling to drink all of the beer that I brew, so this will let me keep brewing and learning without developing a huge beer belly.................maybe.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Return to Modifications