Pickup tube for outlet valve

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

Pickup tube for outlet valve

Unread postby djl3thal » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:28 am

Hi, I’ve scoured the internet and seen some good options including custom made pickup tubes and the famous spiral filter thing. Most things were either expensive, or would take a lot of my time to fabricate which Is rather spend brewing! I like to whirlpool and then fill my hot wort cube without tipping my Brau.

I picked up this 3/4” (~19mm for) outer diameter 316SS tube weld nipple locally for a few dollars. All I need to do is cut two grooves to seat o-rings in and it will be perfect!

You could source this at any local welding components or process industry supplies shop. I hope this helps someone who is in a similar position as I. Cheers

ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
djl3thal

Re: Pickup tube for outlet valve

Unread postby djl3thal » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:30 am

Ps. If anyone has a good idea how to cut the o-ring grooves? I was thinking of using tube cutters to lightly run around, then shift then slightly along the tube and cut again to get about a 1mm groove width. Or is there an easier way?

djl3thal

Unread postby aziztan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:21 am

Nice job with the SS - much nicer than copper!

I think you're referring to Bac brewing Springer filter aka Lauter Helix. Both come with pick up tubes and work well for those that hot cube*. Nice job with the SS - much nicer than a copper!

Tbh, I stop doing this as the tap clearance was perfectly designed to clear the trub, and on ocassion of tip the BM a little when there's less trub.

* I chill my wort and it blocked every time, even with an aggressive whirlpool and letting it settle for an hour. Whereas hot wort seems to work very well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
aziztan

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby djl3thal » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:45 am

I can see how some trub may will get into the cube, which is why I was thinking about getting a small piece of flat SS welded to the pickup as a trub dam blade as I heard they work well on the ss brewtech kettles. See photo.

It seems a pity to leave 5L behind just like it seems an improper fix to be needing to tilt the Brau which requires me to open the lid, creating convection currents and stirring up the trub after the whirlpool!

djl3thal

Unread postby mashy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:21 pm

Don't become a trub-free-queen - its not worth it.
Read this: Trubby beer versus a little trub beer comparison from brulosophy.com: http://brulosophy.com/2014/06/02/the-gr ... ts-are-in/
mashy

Unread postby aziztan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:33 pm

I think it's different for Hot Cubing. Wort can be stored for days if not weeks before yeast is pitched which is very convenient for our weather here in Oz where chilling down to pitch would take ages. That sort of trub contact is different to the Brulosophy one where he pitched the yeast right away for both and bottled very soon after that.

aziztan

Unread postby djl3thal » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:40 pm

Correct aziztan, I’ve always put very clear wort into my cubes with my 3V system and intend to continue this on the Brau for stability reasons. A little bit doesn’t matter but I definitely like to see a trub come sitting in the bottom of the kettle once the cubes are filled.

Funnily enough I do plan to try chilling one day as I do have a rainwater tank. Calls for an experiment to do the same brew twice one in cube no hot break/trub and one chilled with hot break/trub!

djl3thal

Unread postby IPA » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:51 am

Buy a Springer and a plate chiller. I brew year round even with summer temperatures of around 35° C
IPA

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Everhopfull » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:51 am

IPA wrote:Buy a Springer and a plate chiller. I brew year round even with summer temperatures of around 35° C

Out of interest what is your ground water temperature when the air temperature is 35c ?
Everhopfull

Unread postby IPA » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:20 am

Everhopfull wrote:
IPA wrote:Buy a Springer and a plate chiller. I brew year round even with summer temperatures of around 35° C

Out of interest what is your ground water temperature when the air temperature is 35c ?

To be honest I have never measured it. We live in the country in an isolated house. The incoming main is buried at least a metre deep because it crosses cultivated agricultural land so I imagine it does not fluctuate wildly. I will measure it this coming summer and post and PM the reading
IPA

Unread postby rfc3571 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:38 am

djl3thal wrote:Ps. If anyone has a good idea how to cut the o-ring grooves? I was thinking of using tube cutters to lightly run around, then shift then slightly along the tube and cut again to get about a 1mm groove width. Or is there an easier way?

I think that might be quite hard to do it this way. Have your attempts been successful?
rfc3571

Unread postby MonsieurBadgerCheese » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:16 pm

Bonsoir,

Did you manage to complete this modification djl3thal?

MBC :D
MonsieurBadgerCheese

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby rfc3571 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:17 am

There is some hard limitation with respect to available space, both on the left side (heating helix) and on the right side (malt tube). In between, there is only 45 mm for the siphon tube plus some milimiters when dipping into the tap outlet. Most of the available elbow fittings do not meet these criteria, they usually don't fit, either in terms of bowing radius, length or height. Thus, any elbow has to be modified first. After elbow modification a tiny special tube is to be soldered or welded on that bears the O-Ring and the entrance stop. That means hard precision work. BAC Brewing engineered this precisely, but it was designed for the springer filter only, to my regret. There are many who do not use the springer filter, but prefer a conventional false body (which is better for a timely lautering).
rfc3571

Unread postby aziztan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:22 am

OP is referring to parts available in Oz, which is useful for BM users there. Wherever that part came from, it's a starting point for whoever wants to give it a go.

I've done a pump mod (with a T piece ball valve as per @mashy and do away with the original tap all together.)

aziztan

Return to Modifications