BM wort pump device for whirlpooling

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

BM wort pump device for whirlpooling

Unread postby Sladek789 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:05 pm

I’m looking for a volunteer, owner of a BM50 and BM wort pump device (https://shop.speidels-braumeister.de/en ... es/Brewing).

I’m strongly considering to buy and use a wort pump device to create a whirlpool at the end of the boil (after some initial cooling, from 84C downward, due to pump max operation temp).
I’m currently using a large SS immersion chiller (very happy with it and not willing to change it). I create a whirlpool during the whole cooling time via an external pump both to concentrate the trub in the middle of the kettle and to increase the chiller efficiency as the wort circulates around the cooled tubes.

Looking at the great review of the wort pump device from lindhcraftbeer.com (http://www.lindhcraftbeer.com/2018/06/s ... mp-device/), I have doubts that the pumps will make a significant enough whirlpool as the flow losses power going up and then down.
I’m not looking for a very strong whirlpool but enough to concentrate most of the trub in the middle with 50L final wort volume.

Before throwing 100+ Eur on something that may not work, I would prefer if someone would have the curiosity to test it for me and for our community :).

If someone is interested, let me know and the discuss via PM/email the test parameters.
Sladek789

Model: 50 litres

Re: BM wort pump device for whirlpooling

Unread postby mashy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:03 am

These are not a whirlpool device.

They can be made very simply in 15mm copper tube. Gandalf perfected them and posted some pics.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2670

If you made one yourself, you could put a jet on it to create/maintain the whirlpool during cooling. This would also reduce cooling time with a standard coil.

It's on my list to build as a cooling assist.

I use & prefer the mashing in & whirlpooling 3 fin paddle. I found that a pumped whirlpool a bit under powered & a faf.
Last edited by mashy on Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Sladek789 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:24 am

mashy wrote:These can be made very simply in 15mm copper tube. Gandalf perfected them and posted some pics.

As MonsieurBadgerCheese would say, it would be a great addition to my arsenal of SS shiny gadgets :-)

mashy wrote:I personally prefer the mashing in & whirlpooling 3 fin paddle. I found that a pumped whirlpool a bit under powered & a faf.

Sadly, out of the question for me as the paddle cannot be operated with my immersion chiller.
Sladek789

Unread postby mashy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:55 pm

Sladek789 wrote: Sadly, out of the question for me as the paddle cannot be operated with my immersion chiller.

Don't you whirpool after chilling?
mashy

Unread postby Sladek789 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:59 am

With my current setup, I'm actually whirlpooling constantly from the beginning to the end of cooling. It keeps the wort in movement and create a constant exchange of cooled wort for hot wort across the chiller surface, therefore increasing cooling speed.

In my old setup (no BM), I was whirlpooling a bit right the beginning of cooling to get the big particules in the central of the kettle and a second time approx. 10 mins before transferring to fermenter, before letting sit for the rest of the time. But I guess that you could cool it all, then create a strong whirlpool to get all trubs in the center without problem. The whirlpool process while doing hops stands would be different.
Sladek789

Unread postby mashy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:33 am

Pump on the chill, to speed up chilling. Yup.

After IC removed, I thread my paddle on the rod. Pretty much as soon as I have it spinning, transfer starts.
mashy

Unread postby mashy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:43 am

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2497&hilit=Mashing+paddle

This is the paddle. Really pleased with it.
mashy

Unread postby Sladek789 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:01 am

mashy wrote: Pretty much as soon as I have it spinning, transfer starts.

I would recommend to let the whirlpool stopped by itself and let the wort sit a bit, but it is works for you, great do not change anything.

I'm not one of those people scared of trub in my fermenter. Yes, of couse you should minimize it but no major issue to have some on the fermenter, some of it if even good for the fermentation.
Here is a good experience on a trubby beer versus a little trub beer compaison from brulosophy.com: http://brulosophy.com/2014/06/02/the-gr ... ts-are-in/
Sladek789

Unread postby mashy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:16 am

Sladek789 wrote:
I would recommend to let the whirlpool stopped by itself and let the wort sit a bit, but it is works for you, great do not change anything.

Why -intrigued?

Trubby beer - me neither. Clean as you can yes - filter,settle rack and sterilise Nooooo... I actually think it adds something.
mashy

Unread postby wobdee » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:03 pm

I dont have the 50l but I do use the pump device for whirlpooling on my 20l. I changed the flimsy hose that came with it for a thicker silicone hose and wrap it around the inside and down into the wort. It has plenty of power infact I close the valve to about half because I feel its too strong wide open.
wobdee

Unread postby Sladek789 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:45 am

wobdee wrote:I dont have the 50l but I do use the pump device for whirlpooling on my 20l. I changed the flimsy hose that came with it for a thicker silicone hose and wrap it around the inside and down into the wort. It has plenty of power infact I close the valve to about half because I feel its too strong wide open.

Great info, so whirpooling with the pump device could be done as you tested it.
The BM50 kettle is 15cm higher than the BM20 one so it will impact a bit the flow rate, it has two pumps, so I guess it should work too.

On this good info, it might be time to decide to make the investment or not :?
Sladek789

Unread postby hanahana » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:45 am

good post
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science
hanahana

Return to Modifications