BAC aerator

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

BAC aerator

Unread postby mashy » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:44 pm

I really fancy one a BAC aerator though - that said a balloon whisk have always started mine AOK.

Has anyone purchased one are they any good ?

@MBC have you used yours?
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Re: BAC aerator

Unread postby Onthebrew » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:47 pm

I keep looking at it myself. Our French based friend has been very quiet on it since his purchase non?
Onthebrew

Unread postby mashy » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:56 am

oui il est certainement
mashy

Unread postby Sladek789 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:02 am

I'm not the Frenchman you were talking about, but I'm also French (though living in the Czech Republic)...so let me back up my fellow countryman with my review. :D

I bought the BAC aerator about 6 months ago (used it about 8 times), to replace the aquarium pump with air stone I used. Here is my review, note that my batches are between 45L and 65L.

The +:
- Quality built
- Easy to assemble and disassemble to clean
- Fairly easy to use
- Seems to do a good job in aerating (taking the amount of foam created as the aeration level) in minimal time

The less +:
- Fairly expensive
- Need a drill that rotates at 2500rpm and 3000rpm, I have mine maxing at 2700 and I’m happy with it.
- Creates a ton of foam (I guess meaning good aeration). I fill my 75L fermenter with 60L, the foam gets to the fermenter top after 1 min of aeration. The 1min run has become my norm, and my fermentation is always going well.
- At full speed, it can be difficult to hold the aerator in the middle of the fermenter. There is so much turbulence that you need to compensate all movements not to have the rotating aerator banging on the fermenter walls.
- As there is some much foam, sprinkle the dry yeast on top of the foam will not work well (from own experience). The foam layer is so thick that the yeast will not get into the wort fast enough (or not at all). I do rehydrate my dry yeast or use liquid yeast as the yeasty solution will go through the thick foam layer without problem.

Overall, I’m very happy with it and will recommend its purchase. There is a bit of a learning curse, but the good news is that I did most of it for you! :mrgreen:

Voilà!
Last edited by Sladek789 on Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sladek789

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Onthebrew » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:05 am

Great thanks for the feed back. By the sounds of it a worry could be the fact that if you are not careful it hits the side walls of your 70 litres fermenter- that will even be worse a risk in a 27 litre fermenter i guess?
Onthebrew

Unread postby Sladek789 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:44 am

I would guess that with a small volume, the turbulence will defintely less powerfull and therefore it will be easier to handle. I also have fairly narrow fermenter for the volume ( and a temp probe which I do not wish to damage), so it makes it more complicated (https://www.polsinelli.it/en/75-l-stain ... -P1081.htm)
Sladek789

Unread postby mashy » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:43 pm

Cracking link. Do you know if they ship to the UK?
mashy

Unread postby MonsieurBadgerCheese » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:07 pm

Hi,

Sorry for slow reply.

At the risk of sounding lazy, Sladek789 has pretty much nailed it.

I love the quality of build. There is no doubt in my mind that aeration levels are spectacular. I tend to 'whizz', let the foam settle, 'whiz' again and repeat a couple of times. I generaly use liquid yeast in a starter, so pitching the yeast through the foam is not an issue.

Indeed, at high RPM it takes a firm grip to 'tame the beast'. Especially in my 27 litre FV. Easy to let it 'wander' and potentially scratch the sides.

In summary a welcome, albeit not cheap, addition to my arsenal of shiny gadgets.

MBC :)
MonsieurBadgerCheese

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby nickjdavis » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:21 pm

I was hoping that mine was going to arrive in time for my brew day today....no such joy....will be three weeks before I next brew but will happily post my thoughts when I get to try it.
nickjdavis

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby Onthebrew » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:17 am

Good more and more feedback. Sladeck do you need to aerate with dried yeast? I thought it was only with liquid yeast it was needed?
Onthebrew

Unread postby mashy » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:20 pm

You need to airate both.

I wondered if you could sprinkle first leave for 15 mins to rehydrate and then whizz?
mashy

Unread postby Sladek789 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:09 am

@mashy
- www.polsinelli.it offers some fairly cheap SS equipement but as it is cheap, do not expect Speidel SS quality. But better thn cheap Chinese SS equipement. I guess that they ship to the whole Europe, but be aware that Polsinelli is known for below average customer service.
- Better to add the yeast after aerating. The mixing is pretty brutal and it can damage the yeast cells.

@Onthebrew, always aerate wort whether you use liquide or dried yeast.
Sladek789

Unread postby Onthebrew » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:08 pm

I used to aerate every brew with my aquarium pump but read somewhere no real benefits for dry yeast so stopped- and to be honest havn't seen any difference since. i do let the wort drop from the BM into the FV and it froths up quite a bit so maybe that's enough. i am going to invest in two 12 litres fermenters and start doing split batches to test such things!
Onthebrew

Unread postby mashy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:55 pm

Sladek789 wrote:@mashy
- http://www.polsinelli.it offers some fairly cheap SS equipement but as it is cheap, do not expect Speidel SS quality. But better thn cheap Chinese SS equipement. I guess that they ship to the whole Europe, but be aware that Polsinelli is known for below average customer service.

Had a chat - small and larger items can be shipped to the UK. Marvelous news.
mashy

Unread postby mashy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:57 pm

Onthebrew wrote:I used to aerate every brew with my aquarium pump but read somewhere no real benefits for dry yeast so stopped- and to be honest havn't seen any difference since. i do let the wort drop from the BM into the FV and it froths up quite a bit so maybe that's enough. i am going to invest in two 12 litres fermenters and start doing split batches to test such things!

TBH my balloon whisk has never let me down. Roll it between your palms to 10 seconds and I get more foam than I need.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ballo ... 84&bih=445
mashy

Next

Return to Modifications