Installing a CIP ball for cleaning ??

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

Installing a CIP ball for cleaning ??

Unread postby mashy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:12 am

This started in another post, but I thought it best to keep on topic.

I like these idea of this, particularity mounting it on a pipe up from the BM pump.
Or put another way adding it to Gandalphs' mod...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2670&p=24289&hilit=+pump#p24289

That relies on the BM pump - will it be strong enough?
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Re: Installing a CIP ball for cleaning ??

Unread postby grooves » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:54 am

I don't think there will be enough pressure to turn the ball properly.

My solar pump was not enough to turn the CIP ball. Water just trickles out of the gaps in the ball. I needed to use my sump/pond pump. I just thought - maybe a narrower hose might help...
grooves

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby mashy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:31 am

My real concern is I am not sure it will be any quicker?

Mine gets a brush. Quick spray of truck wash and 2 buckets a hot water (from chilling)
I leave the lower tap open and it takes as long as it does to drain and I am done.
mashy

Unread postby grooves » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:04 pm

Probably not, I brewed yesterday (Czech Dark Lager) and I didn't bother to setup and use the CIP ball...
grooves

Unread postby mashy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:08 pm

I have brewday down to just under 5 hours.
So for me its only worth the trouble if it improves on that - or can be left 'doing' while I am doing something else.
mashy

Unread postby grooves » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:19 pm

Well it can be left alone while cleaning. I just need to get it organised as a part of my process.

It's ideal for the conical, at the the moment while the boil is going, I spray it with StarSan every so often, while the fittings are soaking in it. Using the CIP it could get a shorter continuous run.

For the BM, after brewing, I run PBW in the BM in manual mode with the pump and heat on and run my solar pump from the tap to reverse flush my plate chiller back in to the BM. Once I add a lower tap to drain the BM I could also add in the CIP - but it will take some trial and error to get it balanced with three pumps on the go!
grooves

Unread postby HobbyBrauer » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:05 pm

This has been done before. If you go over to the german forum one guy tried using a standard CIP ball hooked up to the standard BM pump. While it did circulate it was barely a trickle out of the ball and none of the cleaning solution hit the walls. So if this is something you want to do you will either need to hook up a secondary pump or as I did and replace the stock pump with a higher power one. Let me explain what I have done. Firstly, install a three way valve as can seen on other posts in this forum then I removed the stock pump and wired in a solid state relay to control it. This was done because it draws substantially more power (Chugger SS) than the stock version and I was unsure as to what the relay in the controller was rated for. The added benefit of this is my circulation flow rate while mashing doubled and my efficiency also rose about 5%.

Now on the spray ball side of things standard stainless balls will not work. They require to much flow on average upwards of 20+ LPM at 20-60psi (45-140ft of head) while a chugger is capable of a mere 18ft of head (~7.8psi) so we have to use a significantly smaller spray ball. The one I use is called a Micro Whirly by Lechler it is made of PVDF plastic and rated to 180F. You can purchase it from McMaster for about $50. It also comes in stainless steel but at 3x the price and requires a higher pressure. I then welded a 4" Tri-clamp ferrule to my stainless dome lid and have the spray ball attached to a TC fitting which is attached to this ferrule. After using the pump to transfer via the three way valve I then drain all the trub, install my spray ball burst rinse to remove as much as possible then fill with 12L of hot water with caustic, turn on manual mode heater set to 60C, seal up the BM and turn on the pump. Works perfectly every time. I start with the BM empty then after 10 mins put in filter plates and gaskets another 10mins then remove the plates and add the malt pipe another 10-20m followed by drain and rinse. Takes a little longer than manually scrubbing it but infinitely better than having to haul around and it is way cleaner in the end (though that may just be bias).
HobbyBrauer

Unread postby mashy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:59 am

Brilliant answer. Thanks for the detail.
Swap the pump out magic idea.....I was thinking additional pump. I assume the chugger is no bigger.
mashy

Unread postby HobbyBrauer » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:52 am

The chugger is physically a much larger pump than the stock one. As such you need to plan how it will set up. Since I had the three way valve I played around with different configurations using silicone hoses and now am in the process of hard piping. However this may be paused since I have an itch to put a couple inline sensors in the loop.
HobbyBrauer

Unread postby Lindh » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:21 pm

I use a sprayball on the pump for Mark’s kegwasher. Works perfect and no scrubbing with sponge or brush is needed.
Lindh

Model: 50 litres

Return to Modifications