WHIRLPOOL FITTING INSTALLATION

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

Re: WHIRLPOOL FITTING INSTALLATION

Unread postby uk_brewer » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:06 am

nice. I have the same whirlpool in my 3V rig.
uk_brewer

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby Petersg » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:25 pm

Many thanks for the replies. I have the fitting+bulkhead and the drillbit so here goes.
And to the previous post, I have no trouble getting a whirlpool going with the paddle, it just doesn’t seem to give me a decent cone afterwards.
Petersg

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby mashy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:11 am

I know what you mean. I have noticed you can over do it with a paddle - I had a play last brew.

Too much whirlpool just carries everything around the outside. There must be an optimum speed with which the low pressure effect is achieved. May do some tests with water ... and a few grass clippings :D
mashy

Unread postby chastuck » Tue May 22, 2018 10:36 pm

rmklaw wrote:There is some but I cannot tell until I do an actual wort whirlpool with all the trub, etc in it. I lowered the water level below the fitting and the spray pattern is a fan shape hitting evenly the curvature of the BM20 from bottom to about 2-3 inches from the top. The nozzle is adjustable for aim. The whirlpool, is pretty strong and adjustable with the pump valve.

How did the whirpool pan out? Did it give the correct effect when used with wort and hops?
chastuck

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby jamesmb » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:13 am

mashy wrote:I know what you mean. I have noticed you can over do it with a paddle - I had a play last brew.

Too much whirlpool just carries everything around the outside. There must be an optimum speed with which the low pressure effect is achieved. May do some tests with water ... and a few grass clippings :D

Careful about what is happening in a whirlpool.
I think it is a combination - the higher speed liquid on the outside can carry particles but the lower speed in the middle can’t so any trub that gets there settles out. It’s a kind of density sorting.
If the speed in the middle is too high then it can carry trub as well so it doesn’t fall out until the cone slows down - however there’s a lot of drag at the outside so that slows down faster ......
jamesmb

Unread postby rmklaw » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:38 pm

Chastuck, when I upgraded to the BM20 Plus, I decided that it was not worth it to use the whirlpool.
Richard
2015 Braumeister 20L
rmklaw

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby mashy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:40 am

Do you mean there is no benefit to cooling or before draining?
mashy

Unread postby Dompan » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:08 pm

Nice installation of the Ss Brewtech whirlpool inlet!

Slightly off topic:

Where do you find the adapters necessary to mount 1/2” ball valves? Have been looking for a 3/4” BSP male to 1/2” male NPT adapter to be able to replace the standard 3/4” braumeister valve without any result. Stainless is prefered.
Dompan

Unread postby TidalPete » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:37 am

rmklaw wrote:I installed the SS Brewtech whirlpool fitting kit on my BM20 and it works great. I drilled a 22mm hole for the bulkhead/whirlpool fitting on the inside and a 1/2" valve on the outside. The fitting has a nozzle that directs a wide vertical pattern around the BM20.

G'day rmklaw,
With over 12 months gone by I'm keen to know how your Brewtech Whirlpool Fitting went during an actual brewday involving wort?
Can you confirm that the thread on the above whirlpool fitting is 1/2" BSP or is it 1/2" NTP?

Still to get my Brau 20-litre but in the process of salvaging what I can from my old 4-vessel HERMS's bits & pieces. That includes modifying my whirlpool tool which I hopefully plan to clamp (As previously) onto the side of the Brau rather than drill a hole in my soon-to-be new pretty expensive baby. Heaven forbid. :lol:

New to this forum but will hopefully get a reply ASAP. :)
Twas TidalPete from UptheCoast who caught the all-grain craze,
He turned aside the staid XXXX that served him many days.

With apologies to A.B. 'Banjo' Paterson.
TidalPete

Unread postby mashy » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:57 am

Pete - love the logo.

I have never understood this. In systems without a centre rod - yes indeed pump a whirlpool.
But the BM has a centre rod, and over that you slide a mash paddle - just too easy and very quick/strong whirlpool - and bonus you can use it for mashing in.

You sound like you have more that a fews brew under your belt - wait and see what you need perhaps? I certainly would not be too hasty with power tools. :shock: :shock: :shock:
mashy

Previous

Return to Modifications