WHIRLPOOL FITTING INSTALLATION

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

WHIRLPOOL FITTING INSTALLATION

Unread postby rmklaw » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:14 pm

I installed the SS Brewtech whirlpool fitting kit on my BM20 and it works great. I drilled a 22mm hole for the bulkhead/whirlpool fitting on the inside and a 1/2" valve on the outside. The fitting has a nozzle that directs a wide vertical pattern around the BM20.
Attachments
IMG_2260.jpg
IMG_2260.jpg (22.81 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
IMG_2263.jpg
IMG_2263.jpg (24.17 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
Richard
2015 Braumeister 20L
rmklaw

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: WHIRLPOOL FITTING INSTALLATION

Unread postby mashy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:26 am

Nice job. Very professional. Let us know how is goes.
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby chastuck » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:54 pm

Where do you take the drain off from that runs back to the whirpool inlet? I presume you run the wort back in via a pump. Does the outlet get blocked with hops?
chastuck

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby mashy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:22 pm

I am interested in how this will go.
I like the 3 blade paddle idea myself. Very handy for mashing in too.
mashy

Unread postby grooves » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:23 pm

Wow! Another ballsy mod.

Looks great - any chance of a pic / vid of it action?
grooves

Unread postby rmklaw » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:03 am

Thanks for the comments. I like to live dangerously. I did install a drain at the bottom (like the Plus). However, I only use it for cleaning. The configuration to whirlpool is from the regular tap (which has a pick up close to the bottom) to the pump, then to the trub filter, then to the whirlpool, bypassing the Therminator chiller. No clogging issues since I use a hop stainless steel basket that has a 300 micron mesh and sits in the center on the rod.

I will post pictures of the whirlpool in action this week. :cheers:
Richard
2015 Braumeister 20L
rmklaw

Unread postby chastuck » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:56 pm

rmklaw wrote:Thanks for the comments. I like to live dangerously. I did install a drain at the bottom (like the Plus). However, I only use it for cleaning. The configuration to whirlpool is from the regular tap (which has a pick up close to the bottom) to the pump, then to the trub filter, then to the whirlpool, bypassing the Therminator chiller. No clogging issues since I use a hop stainless steel basket that has a 300 micron mesh and sits in the center on the rod.

I will post pictures of the whirlpool in action this week. :cheers:

Forgive me, but if you are using a hop basket what is the point of whirlpooling?
chastuck

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby rmklaw » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:45 pm

With the hop basket, I still get trub, residue and spices (not inserted in the hop basket) which could cause problems with the plate chiller. So for me is a way to clean up as much as possible and prevent future problems with the Therminator. Also, I want to start experimenting with whole hops.
Richard
2015 Braumeister 20L
rmklaw

Unread postby rmklaw » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:09 pm

Here are pictures of the whirlpool running. The nozzle is adjustable to direct the jet more to the surface or the bottom. The flow is pretty strong.
Attachments
IMG_2275.jpg
IMG_2274.jpg
Richard
2015 Braumeister 20L
rmklaw

Unread postby mashy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:22 pm

Is there much dip in the middle?
mashy

Unread postby rmklaw » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:50 pm

There is some but I cannot tell until I do an actual wort whirlpool with all the trub, etc in it. I lowered the water level below the fitting and the spray pattern is a fan shape hitting evenly the curvature of the BM20 from bottom to about 2-3 inches from the top. The nozzle is adjustable for aim. The whirlpool, is pretty strong and adjustable with the pump valve.
Richard
2015 Braumeister 20L
rmklaw

Unread postby grooves » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:35 am

How about CIP?

I'm planning to add this to the lid -

https://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/a-n ... tc-fitting

and then insert this for cleaning -

https://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/min ... c-assembly

so I just have to fill the BM to above the elements with PBW, then heat and recirculate via the CIP. The CIP ball needs decent pressure to turn, my cheap "solar" pump doesn't have enough guts to do it.

For the mash, it can be blanked off to hold in the heat

Also, the CIP ball fits my conical, so I can use it for cleaning my FV as well.
grooves

Unread postby Petersg » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:12 pm

Thank you for posting this. I have been thinking about the same mod once I’ve plucked up the courage to crank up the stepped drill bit.
I can’t seem to get any kind of cone with my bacbrewing paddle on my 20 l BM.
What pump are you using and does it dismantle easily for a thorough cleaning ( or is just running pbw through it enough ). I’m also assuming that the Ssbrewtech kit leaves enough room for the maltpipe without any further modification. What is the trub filter that you refer to please? Is that what is visible inside at the bottom of the BM before the outlet?
Thanks
Petersg

Unread postby mashy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:57 pm

WHAAAT... are we talking about the same thing...the 3 finned jobby.

Like this: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2497&hilit=paddle 'cos these whirlpool like a demon!

I can have on a couple of occasions nearly whirlpooled it out of the kettle. :shock:
mashy

Unread postby rmklaw » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:23 pm

Petersg wrote:Thank you for posting this. I have been thinking about the same mod once I’ve plucked up the courage to crank up the stepped drill bit.
What pump are you using and does it dismantle easily for a thorough cleaning ( or is just running pbw through it enough ). I’m also assuming that the Ssbrewtech kit leaves enough room for the maltpipe without any further modification. What is the trub filter that you refer to please? Is that what is visible inside at the bottom of the BM before the outlet?
Thanks

The fitting clears the Malt Pipe as long as you use the flat bulkhead fitting sold by places like MoreBeer. I use the Blichmann Riptide pump which opens for cleaning by removing the triclover clamp. The filter is a 300 micron inline wort strainer (see below) sold by Brewers Hardware. It is in a 3" stainless housing with triclover fittings at both ends. It is installed between the pump and the Blichmann Therminator plate filter. For whirlpooling, I bypass the Therminator since I do not want to cool until the wort is ready.

As far as drilling, you just have to be careful and use a good quality stepped drill and go very slow. I usually put a piece of tape in the area to be drilled to avoid the drill bit from slipping and scratching the stainless.

What is visible inside bottom is the fitting for the bottom drain, which I since removed and had the bottom fitting Tig welded instead so it is flush with the bottom.
Attachments
tc15strainer.jpg
Richard
2015 Braumeister 20L
rmklaw

Next

Return to Modifications