Shortening central rod

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

Re: Shortening central rod

Unread postby Dr Jacoby » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:33 am

Here's the mash cap in action: https://twitter.com/dudleypete/status/8 ... 2888735744

The hole in the middle that allows it to slide down the central rod tends to leak and eventually the mash cap sinks. If I cut an inch or two off the central rod (leaving some thread for the tightening nut) I can use a mash cap with no hole. I can have the liquid level above the top of the central rod so that the cap can float unobstructed, thereby minimising surface area.

Clearer?
Dr Jacoby

Unread postby Lindh » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:12 pm

I would also like to shorten mine but first I would like a flat stainless bar so hold the malt pipe down just like on the BM200. Haven't found anything sturdy enough yet.
My mash cap floats with a hole in the middle since I like to chill with the cap as well. Just like this: http://www.lindhcraftbeer.com/wp-conten ... ls_052.jpg
Lindh

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dr Jacoby » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:59 pm

Interesting. A wide nut could be used to hold the mash cap level from above (just like yours). That might prevent the cap tilting and sinking
Dr Jacoby

Unread postby mashy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:32 am

Got it.

Why not weld a short length of ss tube to lid.
Rod stays. Lid won't sink.
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Lindh » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:07 am

If you’re a welder sure! But for me with no welding skills a regular nut/threaded pipe does the same thing.
Lindh

Unread postby mashy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:14 pm

Absolutely agree. Just don't think cutting the centre rod is the solution
mashy

Unread postby Lindh » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:34 am

Would be nice to just lower it from underneath instead. I would like it about 4-5 cm shorter. Or make my bm 5 cm higher.
Lindh

Unread postby IPA » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:29 am

I have been using a BM for more than eight years. At the moment I have a 20 and a 50 they both produce excellent beer. Except for the addition of a Bac Springer I have made no modificatios.
I also think that HSA is another American myth. A lot of home brewers are more interested in tinkering with their equipment than actually brewing. If it aint broke don't fix it concentrate on perfecting the beer.
IPA

Unread postby Lindh » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:59 pm

HSA or oxidation is written on half of the pages in the brewing textbooks for becoiming a professional brewer at Weihenstephaner or VLB. Read Wolfgang Kunze or Ludwig Narziß or look here: http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/uncateg ... eferences/
Lindh

Unread postby mashy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:31 am

My practices reduce DO during handling after fermentation.

But HSA has piqued my interest. Instead of a floating lid - what about a CO2 blanket at mash in and reducing the boil time?
mashy

Unread postby Lindh » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:31 am

I never boil more than 60 min and try to limit my boiloff below 8%.
CO2 and Nitrogen blankets are absolutely something to play with but a floating lid is step one. Head over to http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com for lots of material.
Lindh

Unread postby wobdee » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:29 am

Sometimes I wonder if these mash caps are really all that crucial and may be overkill? I use a tight fitting Lodge glass lid and SMB dose of 50ppm and it seems to work just fine. My thinking is after preboiling strike water, SMB dose and relatively high mash temps O2 should have a pretty hard time getting in there but I also can't confirm this since I have no O2 meter.
wobdee

Unread postby mashy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:51 am

We are on the same page - hence my thinking a bit of mixed gas over the top during mash.

I like the SMB - presumably added pre mash?

Could use Potassium MB - just a bit cleaner IME.
mashy

Unread postby wobdee » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:42 pm

mashy wrote:We are on the same page - hence my thinking a bit of mixed gas over the top during mash.

Could use Potassium MB - just a bit cleaner IME.

Yes, I've heard of a couple guys mashing under a Nitrogen or Co2 and have cut out oxygen scavaging salts all together. For me it's just easier to up the dose and adjust my water profile as needed. I've tested my 50mg/l dosage with Sulfite strips throughout the process and I'm down to 10ppm or less going into the fermenter, right about where I need to be. If I go with a higher dose I get more Sulfites into the fermenter which can effect fermentation and attenuation.

PMB can be used but there may be a concern about the potassium effecting mashing enzymes (according to Narziss) so most people have switched to SMB or a trifecta of SMB, ascorbic acid and Brewtan B.
wobdee

Unread postby wobdee » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:49 pm

mashy wrote:

Yes, but you must preboil your strike water first. The SMB is not strong enough to deoxygenate all by itself, it would take a very large dose. Deoxygenating by preboiling first keeps the dosage low and allows the SMB to eat up that O2 as it tries to sneek back in.
wobdee

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications