Hop Spider BM 50L - issues

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

Re: Hop Spider BM 50L - issues

Unread postby BMDrysdale » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:01 pm

Nice work Sladek789; your dual whirlpool outlet is quite brilliant! Combined with cleaning down the interior wall of the spider it should work really well. I envy your skills!
Refer previous posting discussion - I would persist with the Whirlfloc, dealing with hop sock blockages as practically as possible (annoying, but achievable). If you have brewed and not used Whirlfoc in the boil, could you please report on outcomes (i.e., any cloudiness in final beer)?
BMDrysdale

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby mashy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:24 am

Nice. This will also aerate too. Let us know how it goes.
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Sladek789 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:49 am

mashy wrote:This will also aerate too.

Despite the recent info I read about the hot side aeration, bursting the myth that it was totally catastrophic, I'm still shy and careful so I limit as much as possible the aeration before the wort is cooled. And I have a big aquarium pump and 2 aeration stones and it works well. Side note, I started using an anti-foam agent (added before boiling) and it is a life-changer, not scared of boil-over anymore and greatly limit the foaming during wort aeration.

BMDrysdale wrote: If you have brewed and not used Whirlfloc in the boil, could you please report on outcomes (i.e., any cloudiness in final beer)?

As far as I remember I never brewed without, so if I notice any difference (in cloudiness and in hops spider blockage), I will definitely feedback.
Sladek789

Unread postby tsgreen » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:54 pm

Sladek789 wrote:Here is my whirlpool arm made from extra SS tubes and fittings I had in stock, so not fancy but works well.

I think it looks awesome! Thanks for posting! :beer:

I have high temp tubing from pump to dump. I place it in the BM while chilling to whirlpool and sanitize the end before moving to fermenter. Yours is WAY nicer! :mrgreen:
tsgreen

Unread postby mashy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:34 am

BMDrysdale wrote:Refer previous posting discussion - I would persist with the Whirlfloc, dealing with hop sock blockages as practically as possible (annoying, but achievable). If you have brewed and not used Whirlfoc in the boil, could you please report on outcomes (i.e., any cloudiness in final beer)?

When I have forgotten (grrrr) to add Irish moss it always results in cloudy Beer.
mashy

Unread postby Sladek789 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:07 am

mashy wrote:When I have forgotten (grrrr) to add Irish moss it always results in cloudy Beer.

Not encouraging to stop using Irish Moss... I actually discovered some whirlfloc in my stock ( forgotten that I bought it some time ago). I will most likely use it instead of Irish moss. As whirlfloc has much finner particules, it might not cause as much issue as the large pieces of Irish moss.
Sladek789

Unread postby Sladek789 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:52 am

Going a bit of off topic I know. But I found out that Brulosophy.com also did an experiment on whirlfloc, comparing same batch with and without, with pictures and tasting feedback,.... so sharing to the community:
http://brulosophy.com/2017/03/27/the-wh ... t-results/
Sladek789

Unread postby mashy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:46 am

Sladek789 wrote:..
As whirlfloc has much finner particules, it might not cause as much issue as the large pieces of Irish moss.

I don't think works like that at all. Whirlfoc is more likely to hung up. It's not about particle size but effectiveness to cause floculation. Hence the name I guess...
mashy

Previous

Return to Modifications