120cm Bac Springer

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

120cm Bac Springer

Unread postby BarnBrian » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:58 pm

Is anyone using the 120cm Bac Springer. I'm currently using a hop spider but not happy that I'm getting the most out of the hops. I use a pump to transfer to FV and on my last brew decided to use the Braumeister hop filter, what a waste of time, it just kept clogging and caused cavitation. I'm hoping that the Springer will be the best alternative.
In addition I tend to do double brews in my 20 L BM so there's a reasonable amount of hops.

Brian
BarnBrian
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:07 pm
Location: Ormskirk, Lancashire
Model: 20 litres

Re: 120cm Bac Springer

Unread postby chastuck » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:17 pm

I use the Bac springer in a 50l BM with a Chugger pump. Works brilliantly and takes out practically the last drop of wort. I pump out through a CFC into my fermenter and is much better than faffing about with the IC of the BM.

Sent from my GT-I9195I using Tapatalk
User avatar
chastuck
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:21 pm
Location: Beckenham, Kent
Model: 50 litres (2015)

Re: 120cm Bac Springer

Unread postby BarnBrian » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:38 pm

chastuck wrote:I use the Bac springer in a 50l BM with a Chugger pump. Works brilliantly and takes out practically the last drop of wort. I pump out through a CFC into my fermenter and is much better than faffing about with the IC of the BM.

Sent from my GT-I9195I using Tapatalk

Sounds promising. You've lost me on CFC though, Chelsea Football Club is the only one I can think of.
Brian
BarnBrian
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:07 pm
Location: Ormskirk, Lancashire
Model: 20 litres

Re: 120cm Bac Springer

Unread postby Everhopfull » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:52 pm

CFC=Counter flow Chiller
Everhopfull
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:20 pm
Model: 20 litres

Re: 120cm Bac Springer

Unread postby chastuck » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:56 pm

As said, a CFC is a counter flow chiller. The hot wort goes one way and the cooling water goes the other. Amazingly efficient in cooling down to pitching temperature. Here's mine connected to the BM, Chugger pump behind:
Image
Image
User avatar
chastuck
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:21 pm
Location: Beckenham, Kent
Model: 50 litres (2015)

Re: 120cm Bac Springer

Unread postby BarnBrian » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:27 am

chastuck wrote:As said, a CFC is a counter flow chiller. The hot wort goes one way and the cooling water goes the other. Amazingly efficient in cooling down to pitching temperature. Here's mine connected to the BM, Chugger pump behind:
Image
Image

Fully understood thanks.
Brian
BarnBrian
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:07 pm
Location: Ormskirk, Lancashire
Model: 20 litres

Re: 120cm Bac Springer

Unread postby mashy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:58 am

BarnBrian wrote:Is anyone using the 120cm Bac Springer. I'm currently using a hop spider but not happy that I'm getting the most out of the hops. I use a pump to transfer to FV and on my last brew decided to use the Braumeister hop filter, what a waste of time, it just kept clogging and caused cavitation. I'm hoping that the Springer will be the best alternative.
In addition I tend to do double brews in my 20 L BM so there's a reasonable amount of hops.

Brian


I am using a Mangrove jacks hop spider - works for me. Might get another
Is your perceived loss of efficiency the spider OR the timings of the additions. I have moved my additions to later and got a very pleasant results, after reading about late hopping in .........erm .........ermm.... back soon
User avatar
mashy
 
Posts: 2606
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:43 pm
Location: Mercia
Model: 20 litres

Re: 120cm Bac Springer

Unread postby MattSR » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:58 pm

With the CFC, how are you getting a temp of 20 degrees?

I have to recirculate the wort through the CFC and back into the BM for a bit to get the temp down to 20-30 degrees first.

If I push the boiling wort straight from the BM to the FV in one pass, it only drops from 100-50 degrees.
MattSR
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:11 am
Location: Dural, NSW, Australia
Model: 50 litres

Re: 120cm Bac Springer

Unread postby chastuck » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:10 pm

MattSR wrote:With the CFC, how are you getting a temp of 20 degrees?

I have to recirculate the wort through the CFC and back into the BM for a bit to get the temp down to 20-30 degrees first.

If I push the boiling wort straight from the BM to the FV in one pass, it only drops from 100-50 degrees.

My tap water temperature is between 9 - 15 C depending on the time of year. I can cool my wort down from 100C to 18 - 20C in one pass. The answer is to control the flow of wort being pumped through the CFC by my Chugger pump. I have a ball valve on the outlet of the pump which I throttle back to get the output temperature that I want for the wort. The cold water tap is always turned on full. Sometimes I will collect the warm output water in a plastic tank for use as washing water.
User avatar
chastuck
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:21 pm
Location: Beckenham, Kent
Model: 50 litres (2015)

Re: 120cm Bac Springer

Unread postby mashy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:57 am

I was trying not to get involved....
But yes indeed - flow control.
You could run a bypass circuit with a valve too to control the wort.

CFC are no more efficient than immersion coils. It's all about the temp of the cooling water and surface area.

Once I understood this, I went on to consider the usability issues of each type.
For me it was a large twin coil copper immersion. Easy to clean. Easy to use and naturally antimicrobial. This works best with flow control on the incoming water.

Efficency of time was also important to me too. I wanted sub 5 hour brew days start to washed up.

Everyone finds there own way.
User avatar
mashy
 
Posts: 2606
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:43 pm
Location: Mercia
Model: 20 litres

Re: 120cm Bac Springer

Unread postby IPA » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:48 am

I use the Springer coupled to a plate chiller using gravity only. It chills from boiling to 21° and empties the 50 litre BM leaving just two litres behind. With my 20 litre BM it does the same and leaves just one litre behind. One word of advice is that you need a drop of 90 cm for the gravity method to work. Also it, the Springer, seems to perform better when the wort is very hot rather than when chilled using an immersion chiller instead of a plate chiller. Something to do with viscosity I suspect. The plate chiller that I use is the one sold by the Malt Miller
IPA
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:16 am
Location: France
Model: 50 litres

Re: 120cm Bac Springer

Unread postby IPA » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:57 am

[quote="mashy"]
CFC are no more efficient than immersion coils. It's all about the temp of the cooling water and surface area.
quote]

Simply not true there is no comparison between an immersion chiller and a plate chiller. My plate chiller cools 50 litres of wort to 21° 60 minutes quicker than a double coil copper IC.
IPA
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:16 am
Location: France
Model: 50 litres

Re: 120cm Bac Springer

Unread postby chastuck » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:46 am

IPA wrote:
mashy wrote:CFC are no more efficient than immersion coils. It's all about the temp of the cooling water and surface area.
quote]

Simply not true there is no comparison between an immersion chiller and a plate chiller. My plate chiller cools 50 litres of wort to 21° 60 minutes quicker than a double coil copper IC.

Fully agree with IPA. It's all down to the Laws of Thermodynamics. By the inherent nature of their design, plate chillers and CFCs will always be more efficient than an IC. My preference is for a CFC as they are easier to keep clean than a plate chiller.
User avatar
chastuck
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:21 pm
Location: Beckenham, Kent
Model: 50 litres (2015)

Re: 120cm Bac Springer

Unread postby RobW » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:33 pm

I use an IC to quickly knock the temperature down to 80oC.
At that point I will do a whirlpool stand if required, then open the valve and pump through the CFC.

If no whirlpool additions I chill down with the IC then pump through the CFC.

Quick, flexible and effective.
User avatar
RobW
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:15 am
Location: Melbourne
Model: 20 litres

Re: 120cm Bac Springer

Unread postby mashy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:09 am

I think we might be talking about different things.
Efficency in time, or temp or water use.

I get boiling to 20c in 6 - 7 mins. Slower in the summer faster in the winter. Using 45 - 60 liters generally. Which is retained for clean up. You cannot go cooler than the incoming temp. Jaded report similar figures.
User avatar
mashy
 
Posts: 2606
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:43 pm
Location: Mercia
Model: 20 litres

Next

Return to Modifications

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest