120cm Bac Springer

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

Re: 120cm Bac Springer

Unread postby Onthebrew » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:51 am

Thinking of getting ones of these. i take it its not just to filter hops but also most of the hot break and cold break too? at the moment i use the MJ spider for the hops and it works fine but I don't bother whirlpooling or filtering the trub and most of that goes into the FV.

Also currently my method of transfer is just to open the tap and let the wort fall freely as this covers aeration too- can i carry that way? or do in need to syphon or pump?
Onthebrew

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby grooves » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:07 pm

You can do that - the flow will be a bit slow.

If you're impatient just add a length of tubing to the tap or use a pump - but it's not necessary for it to work.
grooves

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby Onthebrew » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:51 pm

grooves wrote:You can do that - the flow will be a bit slow.

If you're impatient just add a length of tubing to the tap or use a pump - but it's not necessary for it to work.

how slow? just thinking contamination issues if its left for a while?
Onthebrew

Unread postby grooves » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:02 pm

Not that long! Maybe 30mins to drain a 20l BM. All break material, and any loose hops/grain will be left behind. I think it's great and I'm glad I've got it in my setup - I don't want that stuff getting into my plate chiller. I use a pump to speed it up a bit.
grooves

Unread postby Onthebrew » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:40 pm

ok cheers, something to think about.
Onthebrew

Unread postby mashy » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:42 pm

30 MINUTES!! :shock:
mashy

Unread postby mashy » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:06 am

Onthebrew wrote:Thinking of getting ones of these. i take it its not just to filter hops but also most of the hot break and cold break too? at the moment i use the MJ spider for the hops and it works fine but I don't bother whirlpooling or filtering the trub and most of that goes into the FV.

Different strokes for different folks.
I sort of get why you would do this, but only because of the plate chiller.

Is depends what you want it achieve??

I would spend the money on a good immersion chiller, and a hand crank whirlpool paddle.
The IC is easy, clean and 6mins 95c>20c.
The paddle will get a good even whirlpool going and the trub does stay in the middle...and I pump it out in not more than 5 mins.

You also get a "free" mashing in paddle... Which really helps get a good clump free mash, to start with.

On balance I would hope the bac is cleaner. But I would venture its by a very very small ammout. And let's not forget the fermentation will deal with it (as you know)
mashy

Unread postby cliffo » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:38 am

I'm looking at one of these.

Currently once I reach my chilled temperature I let it sit for 30 minutes to let all the proteins drop to the bottom of the BM.

With one of these is there any need to wait for it all to drop or are you right to open the tap right away and this will filter it all?
cliffo

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby IPA » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:46 am

Springer +plate chiller+pump = 50 litre BM empty and chilled in less than ten minutes. Set that against a double coil IC that takes over an hour to chill and doesn't filter the trub. No contest!
IPA

Unread postby mashy » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:29 am

IPA wrote:Springer +plate chiller+pump = 50 litre BM empty and chilled in less than ten minutes. Set that against a double coil IC that takes over an hour to chill and doesn't filter the trub. No contest!

Yeah pumping helps. Which plate are you using?
mashy

Unread postby nibber » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:00 pm

I bought the worse than useless Braumeister hop screen and thought I would buy a BAC springer for my 20 and used it last week for the 1st time and was unimpressed i'me afraid- all I found was that the (albeit leaf) hops dropped to the bottom and rested all around the top of the spring and blocked the flow through the spring so virtually nothing was coming out the tap and it took me twice as long to empty the wort out of it :evil:
Maybe I should start using pellets :mrgreen: what do you use hop wise Mashy ?
nibber

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby mashy » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:32 pm

I use leaf in a Mangrove jack - brilliant.

About to try pellets for the first time.

I have in the past used styles of filtering, hop screen and a BAC springer type. Lower pump tap works solved the issue for me. Running order: Paddle the mash in, top up, mash, tube out, Hops in MJ. MJ out, Boil, Chiller in, Chiller out, Whirlpool with paddle, pumps out, clean wort. Sorted. Works for me in a BM20 - done by lunchtime! Just under 5 hours (but only just)

Do really fancy one a BAC aerator though - that said a balloon whisk have always started mine AOK.
Last edited by mashy on Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mashy

Unread postby grooves » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:42 pm

I should point out I use both a hop spider and a bac springer - so hops are in the spider and the springer deals with escaped hops and grain, and the break material.
grooves

Unread postby IPA » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:53 am

mashy wrote:
IPA wrote:Springer +plate chiller+pump = 50 litre BM empty and chilled in less than ten minutes. Set that against a double coil IC that takes over an hour to chill and doesn't filter the trub. No contest!

Yeah pumping helps. Which plate are you using?

The plate is the one that the Malt Miller sells and the pump is from him also. The cheap Chinese one.
IPA

Unread postby IPA » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:06 am

nibber wrote:I bought the worse than useless Braumeister hop screen and thought I would buy a BAC springer for my 20 and used it last week for the 1st time and was unimpressed i'me afraid- all I found was that the (albeit leaf) hops dropped to the bottom and rested all around the top of the spring and blocked the flow through the spring so virtually nothing was coming out the tap and it took me twice as long to empty the wort out of it :evil:
Maybe I should start using pellets :mrgreen: what do you use hop wise Mashy ?

It actually works best with whole hops. The secret to success is to use a length of silicone hose at LEAST seventy centimetres long attached to the tap. Giving at straight vertical drop into the FV. This is clearly explained in the instructions.
Obviously if you use a pump this does not apply. The Springer will empty a 20 leaving only half a litre of wort behind without tipping and with the 50 the amount is one litre.
With leaf hops you get the added advantage that the hops act as as a prefilter just like a hop back does
IPA

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications