Get rid of the steam

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

Get rid of the steam

Unread postby djKlasen » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:01 pm

20170901_190727.jpg
I've made myself a steam condenser to get rid of steam while boiling. It consists of a 100mm PVC drain pipe hanging from the side of the Speidel. In the center of the pipe is a nozzle creating a cold water mist to condense the steam. Resulting water goes straight into my shower drain. With a 0.8mm nozzle the water consumption is just below 5litres/hour.
I've isolated the cold water pipe with a couple of winecorks to avoid heating of the cooling water. Nozzles bought from eBay, search for 'spray nozzle' or 'misting nozzle'.
cons: -None
pros: -You get rid of the fog
-You have to consume at least two bottles of wine before making it
Attachments
20170901_204255.jpg
20170901_190704.jpg
djKlasen

Model: 50 litres

Re: Get rid of the steam

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:31 pm

love it
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby mashy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:40 am

Brilliant.

Does this also prevent boil over?
mashy

Unread postby djKlasen » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:15 am

mashy wrote:Brilliant.

Does this also prevent boil over?

No
djKlasen

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:34 am

i have a condenser on my big (non-speidel) boil kettle, and actually if anything it encourages boilovers, or at the very least exacerbates them, by forming a bit of a vacuum which then sucks foam up and out. i just have to fine tune the strength of the boil and be a bit vigilant. but i do get a boilover maybe one boil out of 5
dinnerstick

Unread postby mashy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:41 pm

I just have fan assisted extraction. I have prevented boil-overs by letting the air in (ie not creating a vaccuum) the incoming air creates a cooling effect on the protein foam.

I wondered if the spray jet would create an air flow (like the fan) and if the unit was raised on the stirrup, perhaps the same effect could be achieved.

PS why the corks ? I do like a glassof red, so it really isn;t a problem buuuut ...is there a problem if the water condenses on the cold pipe?
mashy

Unread postby djKlasen » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:52 am

mashy wrote:I just have fan assisted extraction. I have prevented boil-overs by letting the air in (ie not creating a vaccuum) the incoming air creates a cooling effect on the protein foam.

I wondered if the spray jet would create an air flow (like the fan) and if the unit was raised on the stirrup, perhaps the same effect could be achieved.

PS why the corks ? I do like a glassof red, so it really isn;t a problem buuuut ...is there a problem if the water condenses on the cold pipe?

You cold make the drain pipe look somewhat like in the attached pic, that would turn this into an injector pump. This will make some suction from the boiler. I am not sure of the exact geometry of such a pump or the exact placement of the nozzle, but I suspect it is critical to get the suction effect. I know these are used as vacuum cleaners in the engine room of ships. Place the 'trumpet' through the ship side, turn on high pressure water and the flex hose becomes a vacuum cleaner hose to move around to remove debris.
No, the corks are probably unnecessary. Someone (who seems to know a lot of the physics involved) told me that it's irrelevant if the cooling water gets heated inside or outside the water tube. The effect would be the same. He also told me that 5litres/minute is probably too small a volume to cool all of the steam. The reason why it seems to work well is that you have a lot of condensing already in the flex hose. You should isolate the part from the boiler top to the bend to avoid condensed water to run back into the vessel, and also make the rest of the flex hose as long as possible to do some condensing there, running out.
BTW, 'kjølevann' means 'cooling water'.
Attachments
20170904_125422.jpg
djKlasen

Unread postby mashy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:26 am

Interesting.

I wonder if a fan assisted unit would work.
mashy

Unread postby mpleatman » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:18 pm

This topic is nicely discussed here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/thre ... ed.636955/

Your solution of course avoids drilling a hole in the side of the brew pot, which I like.

Mark
mpleatman

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:57 am

Very clever
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby mashy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:37 am

Absolutely. Did you try raising it up on the stirrup.
mashy

Return to Modifications