BM20 Pumped Low Tap

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

Re: BM20 Pumped Low Tap

Unread postby Rich.T » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:57 am

Hi all. This is my first post on here (just signed up today) but I have been reading a few threads. I am wanting to make my life easy and have a happier brew day as currently it is slightly flawed. I'm sure I don't need to go into detail on this thread as you all know the problems of draining etc on the BM20.
I am very intrested in this mod and I think I will deffinatly be giving it ago. I was going to go down the road of the springer filter but have read a lot of negative reviews. I brought a 4inch long hop bazooka for a couple of quid a while ago as I was going to use it at the end of my transfer line from the BM to fermenter. I never did.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-St ... hash=item0

My thoughts are that instead of using a hop spider like Mashy that I could stick the bazooka into the suction end inside the BM. I have cut the 3/4inch BSP nipple of the mech tube. This has now become quite malleable so I have formed the open end around a 12mm bar. I have then managed to maniplulate this into the suction port by flattening it a bit and forming a dog leg behind the elements. The heating elements then hold this in place very well.
So now their is a 4inch long/high mesh filter hugging the vessle wall. I belieave this will not get clogged and should clear itself when whirlpooling.

My question is.....can you have anything touching the elements when they are turned on?

I can not retro fit this filter when its full of wort as its a bit more fiddly than the strainer infront of the main tap method.

Thanks
Rich.T
Rich.T

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Rich.T » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:59 am

Hi all. This is my first post on here (just signed up today) but I have been reading a few threads. I am wanting to make my life easy and have a happier brew day as currently it is slightly flawed. I'm sure I don't need to go into detail on this thread as you all know the problems of draining etc on the BM20.
I am very intrested in this mod and I think I will deffinatly be giving it ago. I was going to go down the road of the springer filter but have read a lot of negative reviews. I brought a 4inch long hop bazooka for a couple of quid a while ago as I was going to use it at the end of my transfer line from the BM to fermenter. I never did.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-St ... hash=item0

My thoughts are that instead of using a hop spider like Mashy that I could stick the bazooka into the suction end inside the BM. I have cut the 3/4inch BSP nipple of the mech tube. This has now become quite malleable so I have formed the open end around a 12mm bar. I have then managed to maniplulate this into the suction port by flattening it a bit and forming a dog leg behind the elements. The heating elements then hold this in place very well.
So now their is a 4inch long/high mesh filter hugging the vessle wall. I belieave this will not get clogged and should clear itself when whirlpooling.

My question is.....can you have anything touching the elements when they are turned on?

I can not retro fit this filter when its full of wort as its a bit more fiddly than the strainer infront of the main tap method.

Thanks
Rich.T
Rich.T

Unread postby mashy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:04 pm

Welcome aboard.

Touching the elements is ok. Just might make cleaning up a PITA. See how it goes. I think it will be retired quite quickly, when you see that a good whirlpool gets most of the trub.

I have to say, it's a bit fiddly but the LPT was a huge transformation to brew day for me.

Shout up if you need 'owt. We are here to help.
mashy

Unread postby aziztan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:39 am

Last weekend was the first time I had blockage of the pump (120g of flame out hops), which I unblocked by dispensing some O2. And the rest was a breeze. I pump upwards using a 1.2 meter hose into the fermenter and it was easy as for the BM pump.

To save myself from this happening again, a little whirlpool is enough to clear the hops enough away from the 'out' hole of the pump.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
aziztan

Unread postby Rich.T » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:21 pm

mashy wrote:Welcome aboard.

Touching the elements is ok. Just might make cleaning up a PITA. See how it goes. I think it will be retired quite quickly, when you see that a good whirlpool gets most of the trub.

I have to say, it's a bit fiddly but the LPT was a huge transformation to brew day for me.

Shout up if you need 'owt. We are here to help.
So I have just come out of a brew day and my oatmeal stout is tucked up in its fermentation fridge.
I haven't got round to re-plumb my pump yet so I proceeded with the good old sink strainer. This work great with the 300g of whole dried hops. Drained perfect.
I didn't run the pump whilst cooling as I just chucked them in loose.
What i would like to know is after rehydration the hops could easily fill a plaggy bag, their for are these hop spiders any good at taking this many hops?
I would need to use either a spider or use my filter as I mentioned before.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Rich.T

Unread postby aziztan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:21 am

Much easier to use the kitchen strainer. For a start it's easier to clean and better utilisation of hops. I only stop use this technique when I upgraded to a conical which requires a pump to
transfer.

The strainer also takes out any loose grains and cold break before going into the fermenter, whereas a hop spider only keeps the hops out, but eveything else still goes into your fermenter.

aziztan

Unread postby cyberbackpacker » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:11 pm

@mashy I am going to have to order fittings online to do this mod since there is nothing locally.

Can you give me the length of the long nipple you use from valve to BM inlet? I am thinking of using a 45d elbow and two nipples in lieu of your copper piping. Any idea on the length of each "leg" of the copper pipe (each side of your bend)?

Much appreciated!
cyberbackpacker

Unread postby aziztan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:56 pm

What model is yours mate? The 2015 model is different to Mashys. It's not a huge difference, but it does mean your copper section will need to be the last bit to add because you'll need to gauge how much you need and bend accordingly. Definitely don't assume a precut length will be correct.

See you on the other side!

aziztan

Unread postby mashy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:48 am

aziztan wrote:What model is yours mate? The 2015 model is different to Mashys. It's not a huge difference, but it does mean your copper section will need to be the last bit to add because you'll need to gauge how much you need and bend accordingly. Definitely don't assume a precut length will be correct.

See you on the other side!

Yup. Well put. That bit of copper, is bent and then cut to size.
The stainless straight nipple came from China. I will measure them later... Is either 100mm or 150mm I remember buying both.
mashy

Previous

Return to Modifications