BM20 Pumped Low Tap

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

Re: BM20 Pumped Low Tap

Unread postby mashy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:15 am

..... the elbow on the BM doesn't screw all the way in when you flip the pump around.

Ooer. Perhaps there is some variation in BM fittings. That said, a good pipe sealant would fix.

Have to admit I spent too long on this initially. There were a few "bombs" here too, but mainly getting the design right.
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby IPA » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:44 am

aziztan wrote:Took me a while, but I got there finally.
I've had to a few adjustments in order to get it right (which was frustrating at times).

Due to the extra plumbing, I've had to wait a bit for the air to be purged for the full flow to happen.

This mod and my first Over night mash, what could possible go wrong!?
20181106_232631.jpeg
20181106_233853.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Looking at the photo it appears that you have installed the pump at the wrong angle. It should be tilted downwards. This would account for the problem with purging. There is a very good threadlock product that makes positioning very easy. Speidel use it when assembling the BM.
IPA

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby mashy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:26 am

IPA wrote:
Looking at the photo it appears that you have installed the pump at the wrong angle. It should be tilted downwards. This would account for the problem with purging. There is a very good threadlock product that makes positioning very easy. Speidel use it when assembling the BM.

Well spotted. :beer:

I put is down to the extended pipe run and completely forgot that !!
mashy

Unread postby aziztan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:42 am

Gotcha. I thought the elbow needed to be tighten flush into the barrel of the pump bulkhead, as it appeared to be when I took it off.

aziztan

Unread postby mashy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:05 am

Thanks IPA - I have updated the OP.
mashy

Unread postby aziztan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:52 pm

IPA wrote:
aziztan wrote:Took me a while, but I got there finally.
I've had to a few adjustments in order to get it right (which was frustrating at times).

Due to the extra plumbing, I've had to wait a bit for the air to be purged for the full flow to happen.

This mod and my first Over night mash, what could possible go wrong!?
20181106_232631.jpeg
20181106_233853.jpeg

Is that the Loctite 243?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/loctite-243 ... r_p1560362

I can't find anything on whether this is food grade, so ended up needing to tighten the elbow till it was flushed.

I've read some issues with plastic like flavour leeching into the beer from using thread locks. As someone with a heighten sense of smell and taste and this would be a problem.

aziztan

Unread postby mashy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:20 pm

aziztan wrote: Is that the Loctite 243?

No idea. I used a good UK made pipe sealant.

aziztan wrote:I've read some issues with plastic like flavour leeching into the beer from using thread locks. As someone with a heighten sense of smell and taste and this would be a problem.

I really really really really think thats cobblers. It would be SUCH a small if any contact area to such a high% volume. AND it sets like rock. I covered the elements and did a 5 min boil - no issue.

Plastic taste indeed!! What about PTFE tape then!! Got to go internet cobblers makes my piss fizz :D
Last edited by mashy on Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
mashy

Unread postby IPA » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:18 pm

This is what you need.
https://www.toutpourlabiere.com/colle-f ... -1447.html
No need to fully tighten the thread just apply it to the threads tighten until it is in the required position hold steady for about one minute and that's it.
It is food safe gas tight and water tight. Every tool box should contain it. One word of advice. Never fully tighten the join otherwise you will have a job undoing it. Much better to leave the joint one turn short of tight.
IPA

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby aziztan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:08 pm

Cheers fellas

aziztan

Unread postby aziztan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:21 am

Anyone pump into the fermenter? My Grainfather conical is above the BM when I transfer, takes about 25 minutes to drain. The reason is to make it easier to dump yeast and gravity feed on bottling/keg days.

Also due to the height difference between the BM and GF conical, I'm thinking of adding a check valve to the transfer line, anyone do this?
images (2).jpeg

aziztan

Unread postby mashy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:59 am

I use it to pump to the FV all the time.

A check valve works. I use then with my 300 litre tanks. How much it the height difference?
mashy

Unread postby aziztan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:05 am

About 50cm, I currently feed from the BM into the bottom of the conical instead of the top (until I get a longer transfer hose). But invariably the check valve is needed when I'm done transferring and need to take the hose off to stop the wort in the hose from spilling everywhere.

How long does it take for you Mashy to empty the BM into the fermenter?

aziztan

Unread postby mashy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:54 am

Bottom filling is not necessarily a bad idea - the shorter the hose the faster the transfer. However, there is increased resistance in the weight of wort.

If you are buying hoses, the platinum cured stuff is brilliant. Available from Malt Miller. I also like the chrome close lock fittings.

I guess you mean there is 50cm height difference between the top of the wort (once it is all in the fermenter) and the pump.
I ask because there is a limit to what the little pump will do. I would test this with water, If you are in doubt. It is not a diaphragm pump it is a flow pump. I always put the hose over the top of the BM for wash down and its fine, but I have not taken it any higher than that.

I get transfer time in not more than three minutes. But I think my setup assists that....BM is on a jump step, the fermenter is on the floor, so it is already flowing down hill.
mashy

Unread postby aziztan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:30 pm

A few adjustments to the brew space and there'll be smaller height difference between the fermenter and BM, with resistance about the same as mashing, and that will speed things up.

For washing up, I do like the speed of draining which gets ever last bit of grain husk out.

aziztan

Unread postby mashy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:58 pm

I messed about with this mod for a long time, but REALLY pleased I did. Probably takes 1hr off my brew day and saves some lifting.
mashy

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications