Reversing the Flow through the Malt Pipe on 20lt BM

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

Reversing the Flow through the Malt Pipe on 20lt BM

Unread postby Wobbly » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:32 am

The BM pump/malt pipe arrangement is such that flow is up through the grain bed from bottom to top.

This flow results in all the fine flour and particles being positioned in the bottom of the grain bed and when the malt pipe is pulled some (a lot???) of this flour/trub returns to the wort resulting in very cloudy wort at the beginning of the boil and if you traditionally sparge the situation can be significantly worse. The more trub in the boil at the beginning will result in more trub at the end of the boil and greater losses to trub left behind in the BM. I am aware that some brewers don't worry about the amount of trub/break material going into the fermenter but for my own reasons I try not to have any trub/break material carry over into my fermenter (Williamswarn )

On the 20lt BM there is only one pump so could/would it be possible to change the pump body around so that the pump is now drawing liquid from under the malt pipe and discharging it to the outside of the malt pipe thereby reversing the flow through the grain bed to now be top to bottom. It maybe necessary to install some sort of hose into the "pump out let" so that the wort is returned to the top of the malt pipe like it does in the Grainfather

Some issues might be:-
a) Unacceptable compaction of the grain bed
b) Pump starvation as a result of the compaction. Maybe this could be overcome to some extent by not installing the gasket on the bottom of the malt pipe and not tightening the hold down bar too much

I haven't tried this just putting it out there to see what others think.

I must have too much time on my hands to day :!: :!: :!:

Cheers

Wobbly
Wobbly

Model: 20 litres

Re: Reversing the Flow through the Malt Pipe on 20lt BM

Unread postby mashy » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:06 am

I think you could turn the pump around and provided the malt tube was flooded your theory would work.

It bothers me, that the pump return would be up the outside of the malt tube. Not sure this would mix very well 'cos (I think) you would get the pumped wort taking an easy path to the surface and potentially getting a preferential recirculation.

For me I don't see a big enough gain to warrant the experimentation. If you want to reduce the trub in your beer, Perhaps a fine sieve or filter is the likely go post chilling. ?
mashy

Unread postby squadricus » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:34 pm

Haven't tried it yet, but with a length of all thread and one or two M12 SS lifting eye nuts, it's possible to invert the malt tube for sparging. German terminology for the layers that accumulate at the ends of the grain bed are unterteig and oberteig.
We are the 801, we are the central shaft
squadricus

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby wobdee » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:48 pm

Could it be more of a grain crush issue? I have my grain mill set for a coarser crush and I also condition my grain with water. This really cuts down on flour and gives me crystal clear wort and very little trub.
wobdee

Unread postby squadricus » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:26 pm

I intend to adopt grain conditioning with my next batch. It really looks to move to a different trajectory in the tradeoff between conversion of starch and filterability.
We are the 801, we are the central shaft
squadricus

Unread postby Sladek789 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:36 am

Digging up an old post.

Reversing the mashing flow on the BM (would then be from top to bottom) is something I have in mind some time, looking at all the other automated breweries around.

I'm aware of the theory against it, compaction of the grain bed, channeling, possible pump starvation, etc, leading to lower efficiency and possible pump issues but ..... I cannot find anywhere some hard facts from someone who actually tried it on a BM.

So has anyone here tried to switch the flow by simply reversing the pump(s). If yes, any advantage/disadvantage noticed?

I really looking for hard facts from real experience, not the theory pros and cons. Or if anyone has some info that could be found on other forums/blogs on such trial, please share the link(s).
Sladek789

Return to Modifications