Pumping wort to fememter.

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

Re: Pumping wort to fememter.

Unread postby NewEnglandBrewer » Tue May 13, 2014 8:46 pm

Cervantes wrote:Impressive,

How long does it take transfer the wort to the fermenter?

Cerventes: I did not time the transfer. I seem to think it took less than 5 minutes for a little less than 6 gallons (about 22 liters).

I will time the transfer when I brew again. I don't expect to brew again until May 24 or 25.

cheers :drink:
NewEnglandBrewer

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby NewEnglandBrewer » Sun May 18, 2014 2:03 pm

I didn't think I would have enough time to brew yesterday, but I wanted to! So I did. Later, when I transferred the wort to the fermenter, I timed it. It was about 9 minutes for about 6 gallons (23 liters) of of wart.

Yesterday's batch was my third with the Braumeister. I have to say, I love the elegant simplicity of the Braumeister. It gives the homebrewer control over everything important, while saving time!!!!!!!!!!! It enables huge improvements over what I could do in my little apartment with BIAB and my cajun electric turkey fryer.

Interesting, I've read posts making suggestions that Braumeister's design be changed for various reasons, mostly to address alleged limitations for making high gravity all grain beers. I recommend Braumeister does not make significant design changes. Any alleged high gravity limitations can easily be addressed with some ingenuity.

The Braumeister is elegant and simple. It is the perfect canvas for an artist to design beers. I have a few ideas to address the alleged high gravity issue (non-issue). I will try them out over the next few months.

cheers
NewEnglandBrewer

Unread postby Soviet » Tue May 20, 2014 7:08 pm

I like your points regarding high gravity. I address precisely these misconceptions in a summary post I did here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/speidel ... ost5102481
Soviet

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby NewEnglandBrewer » Wed May 21, 2014 7:02 pm

Soviet wrote:I like your points regarding high gravity. I address precisely these misconceptions in a summary post I did here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/speidel ... ost5102481

I like what you posted on homebrewtalk, Soviet. :cheers:
My attempt will be a little different since I am using a 20L not a 55L.
It will be a few weeks before I have a chance to try it, and will start a new thread when I do.
Cheers
NewEnglandBrewer

Unread postby bruulog » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:16 pm

Interesting idea.
If you have 2 pumps (50 l), why not use a switch to turn off the second pump?
I was actually thinking about reconfiguring the pipes under the kettle and using a short bazuka filter inside the kettle but this is not going to work because of the mashing.
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog

Unread postby Tommybear1979 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:19 am

I am a potential BM owner (still on the part of choosing 20L or 50L) .
Could the pump be used for whirlpooling?
So like the setup of NewEnglandBrewer but with a 3 way valve to select whirpool or transfer out of BM?
I think whirlpooling speeds-up cooling and you could whirlpool for a bit after cooling just before youtransfer it to fermentation.
https://forum.braumeisters.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=267&p=2495&hilit=pump#p2495

Your thoughts?
Tommybear1979

Unread postby stokie brewer » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:50 am

dinnerstick wrote:two comments, first- when i used my BM (20L) as a sous vide water bath in my previous apartment, i did it out of the way, on the floor of the laundry room. then the only way to empty the 15L water was to dunk a pint glass in, walk it to the kitchen sink, repeat 30x. so i reached in (once the water was cool) and jammed silicon tubing into the pump outlet, other end in the washing machine waste water pipe, and just held it there while i ran the pump. worked great. additional proof of principle for your strategy.
second, it seems the one downside (other than finding the hole) is that you are obligated to pump all trub, so you are going to be limited in your hopping strategy, but i guess you can work with that. especially if have a conical....?
third (of two) can't you make a jig that will line up the tube? extend the wood/metal bit all the way to the rim where there are markings? or something?

I'm currently awaiting delivery of my 50l and was interested in your comment about sous vide. How well did it work? are the temps accurate and stable enough? I'll be putting my sous vide supreme on fleabay if the BM is as good.

Cheers

Jez
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
stokie brewer

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:28 pm

to avoid a severe thread hijack i direct you to the sous vide thread,
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=76
but yeah it works great. i have a real sous vide with a pid designed for 0.1 degree C, so i use that for precise cooking, and smaller things. the BM is great for bulk, and for whole racks of ribs. the best things i've done in the BM are 3-day racks, and i once did 17 large duck breasts.
dinnerstick

Unread postby stokie brewer » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:20 pm

dinnerstick wrote:to avoid a severe thread hijack i direct you to the sous vide thread,
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=76
but yeah it works great. i have a real sous vide with a pid designed for 0.1 degree C, so i use that for precise cooking, and smaller things. the BM is great for bulk, and for whole racks of ribs. the best things i've done in the BM are 3-day racks, and i once did 17 large duck breasts.

Thanks for your reply, only signed up today and didnt realise there was a sous vide thread, dont want to be a hijacker :p

I'll definitely be giving it a go
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
stokie brewer

Unread postby bruulog » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:27 pm

Soviet wrote:I like your points regarding high gravity. I address precisely these misconceptions in a summary post I did here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/speidel ... ost5102481

Awesome post but damn those gallons.
PS! Thanks for not using those f*n quarts & cups.
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog

Previous

Return to Modifications