Pumping wort to fememter.

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

Pumping wort to fememter.

Unread postby NewEnglandBrewer » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:48 pm

I live in a small apartment, and have been brewing for about 20 years, first with extract, then moving on to BIAB about 10 years ago (I really am grateful to the multitude of brewers, mostly Australian, who documented this space saving technique that made all grain brewing a possibility for me). Since then, I fell in love with the Braumeister concept for all the various reasons people have been discussing on this board and on HomeBrewTalk (most importantly, the ability to precisely control mash times and temperatures). Conveniently, I was on vacation this past week, and finally received my Braumeister 20L this past Tuesday (four days ago), put together a USA compatible power cable on Wednesday, and brewed my first beer on Thursday. So far, I am very happy.

One investment I have yet to make is in a wort pump to move beer from the brew kettle to the fermenter. But, since the Braumeister's pump pushes wort up through a fitting in the bottom of the brew kettle, I will not make that investment. I will press a pipe over this fitting, and wort will be pushed up through the pipe. A hose attached to this pipe will carry the wort to my fermenter.

My prototype is made of 0.5 inch pvc pipe rated for high temperatures, and a piece of 2x3 inch wood (eventually I will replace the wood with pvc for sanitation reasons). The 0.5 inch pipe has a rubber gasket that forms a seal with the pump fitting at the bottom of the kettle. The 0.5 inch pipe is pressed down using Braumeister's connecting rod. See the photographs of the prototype (as always, each picture is worth a thousand words).

The piece of wood has two holes drilled about 1.75 inches (about 4.5 cm) apart, one for the connecting rod, and one for the 0.5 inch pipe. The wood is intended to slide over the connecting rod and over the 0.5 inch pipe. The 0.5 inch pipe was cut about 13 inches (abut 33 cm) from the bottom, and then reconnected using a fitting that has a larger outside diameter than the pipe. The wood cannot slide past the large od fitting. When the wood is secured down onto the connecting rod using the wing nut, it pushes down on the 0.5 inch pipe and forms a seal with pump's output fitting.

So far I've only tested it with clear water. When time to transfer the wort, I expect it to be a challenge to find the pump fitting in the bottom of the kettle (cannot see through the wort). So, I'll have to be sure to remember its approximate location ahead of time.

cheers

IMAG0211.jpg

IMAG0212.jpg

IMAG0213.jpg
NewEnglandBrewer

Model: 20 litres

Re: Pumping wort to fememter.

Unread postby swiggingpig » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:02 pm

I like your thinking, be interesting to see how it works out :beer:
20L BM with Jacket and Copper Hood
swiggingpig

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:45 pm

two comments, first- when i used my BM (20L) as a sous vide water bath in my previous apartment, i did it out of the way, on the floor of the laundry room. then the only way to empty the 15L water was to dunk a pint glass in, walk it to the kitchen sink, repeat 30x. so i reached in (once the water was cool) and jammed silicon tubing into the pump outlet, other end in the washing machine waste water pipe, and just held it there while i ran the pump. worked great. additional proof of principle for your strategy.
second, it seems the one downside (other than finding the hole) is that you are obligated to pump all trub, so you are going to be limited in your hopping strategy, but i guess you can work with that. especially if have a conical....?
third (of two) can't you make a jig that will line up the tube? extend the wood/metal bit all the way to the rim where there are markings? or something?
dinnerstick

Unread postby Cervantes » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:08 pm

Great bit of ingenuity there. I like it. :beer:

I'm going to have to agree with Dinnerstick though regarding the fact that you'll be pumping all of your trub. I'm not sure how well the BM pump will stand up to that given the fact that it's not really designed for it.

One way around it would be to make another length of pipe that you could stick into the pump suction hole in the bottom of the BM. You could make it the same length as the discharge pipe, so that it can be manipulated without sticking your hand into the hot wort, but it could have a few holes/slots drilled into it at a pre-set distance up from the BM base so that the actual inlet to the suction pipe is above the trub.
Last edited by Cervantes on Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby BrauTim » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:10 pm

It might just work, just be sure not to use hop cones :wink:
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby NewEnglandBrewer » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:16 am

dinnerstick wrote:two comments, first- when i used my BM (20L) as a sous vide water bath in my previous apartment, i did it out of the way, on the floor of the laundry room. then the only way to empty the 15L water was to dunk a pint glass in, walk it to the kitchen sink, repeat 30x. so i reached in (once the water was cool) and jammed silicon tubing into the pump outlet, other end in the washing machine waste water pipe, and just held it there while i ran the pump. worked great. additional proof of principle for your strategy.
second, it seems the one downside (other than finding the hole) is that you are obligated to pump all trub, so you are going to be limited in your hopping strategy, but i guess you can work with that. especially if have a conical....?
third (of two) can't you make a jig that will line up the tube? extend the wood/metal bit all the way to the rim where there are markings? or something?

Hey!!!! exelent idea "... extend the wood/metal bit all the way to the rim where there are markings? or something?"

I'll make markings!

Thank you!
NewEnglandBrewer

Unread postby NewEnglandBrewer » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:20 am

Cervantes wrote:........... make another length of pipe that you could stick into the pump suction hole in the bottom of the BM. You could make it the same length as the discharge pipe, so that it can be manipulated without sticking your hand into the hot wort, but it could have a few holes/slots drilled into it at a pre-set distance up from the BM base so that the actual inlet to the suction pipe is above the trub.

Fantastic idea. I wish I was on vacation this week as well as last.

It will have to wait for the weekend.

Version 2.0 prototype will make an attempt at this!!

Thank you.
Last edited by NewEnglandBrewer on Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
NewEnglandBrewer

Unread postby NewEnglandBrewer » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:26 am

BrauTim wrote:It might just work, just be sure not to use hop cones :wink:

My first test with fresh water worked perfectly. I agree that trub could be a problem. Maybe, since I'm use hop bags, it is likely to be less of a problem for me. But I'm not sure yet. Extending the jig and adding a second 0.5 inch pipe (with cutouts) could resolve this. I put something together next weekend, and test it out.
NewEnglandBrewer

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:22 am

i use hop bags for all hop additions (have been dithering back and forth on a removable hop strainer/spider, but haven't done it), even pellets, unless it's a ridiculously low hopped, small amount of a single high alpha addition, type of beer. irish moss also goes in the bag. i do that so i can run the pump while cooling with an immersion chiller, it goes much faster. my point is that the normal trub that i get; little bits of hop powder that come through the bag, protein hot and cold break, bits of grain that escape the mesh, pose no major problems for the pump. so i see it as more of an inconvenience in the fermenter than a pumping problem. if you can dump out the bottom of a conical then no problem, otherwise it's just taking up space, and getting in the way if you are harvesting yeast. there is of course page after page of online discussion of whether clear wort makes better beer than wort+trub, personally i don't think it makes much of a difference, but i am also in the camp that differences on the cold side can be alleviated by recipe and hot side tweaking. but that's another story.
dinnerstick

Unread postby Cervantes » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:24 am

dinnerstick wrote:i use hop bags for all hop additions (have been dithering back and forth on a removable hop strainer/spider, but haven't done it), even pellets, unless it's a ridiculously low hopped, small amount of a single high alpha addition, type of beer. irish moss also goes in the bag. i do that so i can run the pump while cooling with an immersion chiller, it goes much faster. my point is that the normal trub that i get; little bits of hop powder that come through the bag, protein hot and cold break, bits of grain that escape the mesh, pose no major problems for the pump. so i see it as more of an inconvenience in the fermenter than a pumping problem. if you can dump out the bottom of a conical then no problem, otherwise it's just taking up space, and getting in the way if you are harvesting yeast. there is of course page after page of online discussion of whether clear wort makes better beer than wort+trub, personally i don't think it makes much of a difference, but i am also in the camp that differences on the cold side can be alleviated by recipe and hot side tweaking. but that's another story.

If that's the case then a hop sock or bag would be a lot easier than messing about with a pipe in the pump suction orifice...............

And it seemed such a good idea at the time :oops:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby NewEnglandBrewer » Mon May 05, 2014 4:10 pm

I replaced the 2 x 3 inch wood with a piece of 1.5 inch pvc pipe. Then I brewed beer, and used the device to move beer from the Braumeister to my fermentor. It worked perfectly!
Finding the pump inlet in the bottom of the tank was easy once I lined things up as suggested by dinnerstick. The inlet is in line with the connecting rod and the tank’s right side handle.
And, I had no problem with trub, since I use hop bags.
Everything worked perfectly.
Cheers
p.s. I will post a picture of the device with the 1.5 inch pvc.
NewEnglandBrewer

Unread postby fy0d0r » Tue May 06, 2014 12:05 pm

Guys, you can try putting some short tube to the pump inlet to ensure that it picks wort somewhere 1-2cm above the bottom level.
This should leave trub/hops in the kettle (given that there are no leaks from the outlet that may raise it from the bottom)
fy0d0r

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby NewEnglandBrewer » Tue May 06, 2014 2:51 pm

fy0d0r wrote:Guys, you can try putting some short tube to the pump inlet to ensure that it picks wort somewhere 1-2cm above the bottom level.
This should leave trub/hops in the kettle (given that there are no leaks from the outlet that may raise it from the bottom)

Yes, fy0dor, Cerventes suggested this also. It is a good idea, except for one problem. The heating coils of the BM 20L are above the pump inlet. Therefore, it is not easy to put a tube into the inlet.

Thankfully, due to the hop bags, I had little trub/hops to worry about. I tied the hop bags to the wing-nut. The little bit of trub/hops did not cause any problem for the pump.

cheers. :beerbang:
NewEnglandBrewer

Unread postby NewEnglandBrewer » Sun May 11, 2014 4:23 pm

Here are the photos of the the latest version. The 1.5 inch pvc is much easier to keep clean than is wood.
cheers :beerbang:

IMAG0217.jpg

IMAG0216.jpg

IMAG0215.jpg
NewEnglandBrewer

Unread postby Cervantes » Sun May 11, 2014 11:32 pm

Impressive,

How long does it take transfer the wort to the fermenter?
Andy
Cervantes

Next

Return to Modifications