A very cheap (economical) domed lid.

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

Re: A very cheap (economical) domed lid.

Unread postby perdido » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:42 am

Dicko wrote:Hi perdido,

I brushed on 85% Phosphoric acid which is food grade and the only Phosphoric acid I had.
I genearally use it for PH adjustments with brewing water.

After I brushed it on, I washed it with neat Starsan which contains Phosphoric acid and a surfactant (soap)
I then rinsed it in clean water.
:cheers:

Thansk Dicko,

The phosphoric acid I can find here is 75%. I suppose it's strong enough.
Do you also use phosphoric to clean the BM, i.e. removing beer stone?
perdido

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:24 pm

I have used neat Starsan for cleaning my BM but I prefer to use Sodium Percarbonate.

I have found since adjusting my brewing water to achieve the correct PH then beer stone is cut considerably.
After many brews and when I can see it building up I use PBW with a long soak and it comes straight off.

The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby bruulog » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:48 pm

Dicko wrote:I have used neat Starsan for cleaning my BM but I prefer to use Sodium Percarbonate.

I have found since adjusting my brewing water to achieve the correct PH then beer stone is cut considerably.
After many brews and when I can see it building up I use PBW with a long soak and it comes straight off.

Starsan cleans but it's meant for sterilizing. For cleaning, use Five Star PBW.

My BM 50 l is in my "beer lab" and I forgot to take the exact measurements. I found a 18,9 litre stainless steel bowl from a local shop with a top edge diameter of 44,5/47,8 cm inside/outside.
Will this fit?
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:57 pm

bruulog wrote:
Dicko wrote:I have used neat Starsan for cleaning my BM but I prefer to use Sodium Percarbonate.

Starsan cleans but it's meant for sterilizing. For cleaning, use Five Star PBW.

My BM 50 l is in my "beer lab" and I forgot to take the exact measurements. I found a 18,9 litre stainless steel bowl from a local shop with a top edge diameter of 44,5/47,8 cm inside/outside.
Will this fit?

Phosphoric acid will help to remove beer stone but it is no where near as good as PBW.

I cant help you with the size of the dome for the 50 litre as I have a 20.
Someone on here will be able to provide you with the answer.

The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Wobbly » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:08 am

Yesterday I joined the other members who have made a "Dome" out of a SS mixing bowel for their 20lt BM

For those in Australia I sourced the bowel from the retailer "Kitchen Warehouse" for $9:99. It is made in China (of course) and is an 8lt and sold/distributed under the name "Chef Inox Kitchenware". It is an exact fit onto the 20lt BM having an outer diameter of 370mm.

As others have commented the boil is a significant improvement and the resultant wort after cooling was the clearest I have seen on my BM. I could see the heating elements at the bottom through the wort.

I don't attribute all of this clarity to the improved boil vigour as for the first time I also recirculated chilled water through my immersion chiller to get the temperature down to 20C where as previously I couldn't get much below 35C before transferring to my Williamswarn fermenter. I have been struggling to reduce the amount of carry over break material from the BM into the Williamswarn and it looks like the increased boil vigour plus improved chilling have gone a long way to resolving my concerns/problems.

Whilst as the saying goes "one swallow doesn't make a summer" I am encouraged by yesterdays results

Cheers

Wobbly
Wobbly

Unread postby malzrohr » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:10 pm

I have an old Weck canner and found out that the lid neatly fits on my BM 20. I guess these replacement plastic lids for a Weck Canner should fit on the BM 20 as well. You could cut out the protruding center part and have a BM lid for € 8.95.

For me personally, this was a financially painful discovery since I had bought an original SS lid the day before...
Btw. the orig. lid weighs 1.9 kg and the steel is about 1.6mm thick. So the lid sits fermly on the BM.
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Unread postby Yohoe » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:40 am

I found a bowl that fits perfectly on amazon (in US). You will want the 14.5" / 10L bowl:

http://www.amazon.com/Deep-Mixing-Stain ... less+Steel

The bottom feels flimsy but that will but cut out anyways...
Yohoe

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby OldScotchAle » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:57 am

Gee, $5.82 or the $170 for the official version. No brainer to at least try it ?

Of course it's not as heavy duty as the Speidel and does not have the silicone gasket that seals it to the kettle.

Like most everything in life, you get what you pay for. :roll:
OldScotchAle

Unread postby Dan » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:18 pm

Another new cheap hood owner here - and very happy with the result.
Not if I'll be able to pick the difference in the end product, but happy to take Dicko's experienced advice.
I had a length of the black rubber some of us are using on the top filter plate. Ran it around the top of the bowl (now bottom of the hood) and it sits perfectly on the BM (now R2D2 :lol: )
I left it off for the first 5 min of boil. Break was still on top but had settled enough that it never rose any higher with the hood on.
And the vigorous boil we see at the start remained as vigorous after the break was churned back in, and all the way to the end of boil!
Evaporation (boil-off figure) was still the same as with hood off.

One thing I've done in the past is to sometimes stir the surface to mix in any hop material and break that seemed to float and stick to the edges and centre rod.
But the first 5 minutes after putting the hood on had the surface bubbling so violently that it churned all this back in and never let it gather again.
Dan

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:51 am

So Dan,

It sounds like you gave it a run yesterday.

I am glad all went well and you achieved some good results.

I will have to come out and see your new brew room when it is finished and maybe some pics for others to see if that is OK.

Dicko

Unread postby Dan » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:43 am

Dicko wrote:I will have to come out and see your new brew room when it is finished and maybe some pics for others to see if that is OK.

Absolutely! It won't be finished fast - not much is out here :wink: except all my kegs :lol:

I should take some before :oops: and after shots so everyone knows I am human and won't feel bad about their own brew mess.

Had the skin from our highlander getting salted about a foot away from the brew yesterday - a bit of sodium bovine couldn't hurt the mash could it :D
Dan

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:17 am

Dan wrote:
Dicko wrote:I will have to come out and see your new brew room when it is finished and maybe some pics for others to see if that is OK.

Had the skin from our highlander getting salted about a foot away from the brew yesterday - a bit of sodium bovine couldn't hurt the mash could it :D

Jerky bar snacks. :lol:

Dicko

Unread postby Neander » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:33 am

Great article.

I was watching my boil on the weekend and was really not happy with the initial start of timer as the hot break didn't appear until 10 mins after countdown started.

I will make a jacket up and be on the look out for a suitable bowl I can use as a conical lid.
Neander

Unread postby Neander » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:55 am

All I can say is

WOW.

What a difference the jacket and dome lids has made.

Boil up in half te time and a lot more vigorous that the semi roll that was last brew.

Cheers
Dicko.
Neander

Previous

Return to Modifications